MidSeason League B Results

crocodyle

Post by crocodyle » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:04 am

Jersey, i would agree with your thinking, except if several others had the same stategy, Manning, Culpepper, McNabb, and Brady would all have gone in the first 5 picks, with nothing left for an 11 pick except your average top RB. Mostly a crap shoot...but i felt with only 12 weeks of playing, it was worth wasting free agent $$$ to get a top pick. Besides...i did about 10 drafts this year, and didn't have the first pick in any, so it was kinda nice. I had planned on taking Priest, but after more research and thought, changed my mind at the last minute and went with Culpepper. And what it boiled down to, was since i did get first pick, i didn't feel any of the top 3 or 4 (if you include Brady) QB's would still be around at pick 28. They have easily outscored the RB corps so far, and if they keep it up, those of us that picked QB's first, will not be disappointed. I feel pretty good about spending big $$$ for the top fantasy player (whether a QB or not). I may not agree with that if something happens to him or i desperately need a waiver pick and have no cash, but hopefully picking several players with no bye weeks left will keep that from happening. Nice team you picked...all look pretty decent at first glance. Good luck to all ;) ~
da Lizard ;)~

crocodyle

Post by crocodyle » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:14 am

Jersey....what is the roster requirement that is posted and what is it supposed to be? Dyv told us before and during the draft last night, and in an earlier email, that League B roster would be QB,RB,WR,WR,WR,2 Flex spots (RB,WR,TE), TE, D, K....is that correct?
da Lizard ;)~

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:30 am

Originally posted by JerseyPaul:
I would have loved to have Culpepper on my team, but I'm not sure I'd use the #1 on him, nor would I spend a lot of FAAB to pick a QB 1st.

I too drank from the early QB kool-aid. I took Manning in the 2nd. So I have Manning (30.4 avg) and T. Jones (21.5) for a total of 51.5 from the 11 slot for QB/RB.

You have Culpepper (35.7) and Henry (9.9) for a total of 45.6 for QB/RB.

Of course past performance is no guarantee of future results, but we don't have much else to judge by.

There is a large drop-off after the top 3 QBs so in a 1 RB league I think taking a top 3 QB has some merit. In this case the later slot provided an advantage. I went RB/QB then took 4 WRs in a row. Wow JP, if you could combine this league with NY 6, you could make a serious run! As it is in NY 6, your team is looking better each week and Harrison hasn't done much so far. Should be quite a battle this week with Kate and Halle!

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:59 am

Originally posted by crocodyle:
Jersey....what is the roster requirement that is posted and what is it supposed to be? Dyv told us before and during the draft last night, and in an earlier email, that League B roster would be QB,RB,WR,WR,WR,2 Flex spots (RB,WR,TE), TE, D, K....is that correct? Yes, correct.

Stats did not have our final decision on roster when they set up the league on the site. They set it up with standard NFFC. That will be changed when the rosters are entered tomorrow.

KW3

Post by KW3 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:30 am

crocodyle

I think you made a solid move with Culp. because of the bye and especially the league setup with only 1 RB required. It was a good risk that you would still land a good RB in the later rounds.

I was sitting at #3 in the league B draft. I was going to go with Culp but at the last minute decided to target Alexander with my first pick. Than Holmes fell to me so I jumped on him.

I think I made a big mistake passing on Chad Johnson in round 3. He dropped too far. I went with Moulds in round 3 because of the bye(Cin week 5 along with my #1 Holmes KC week 5 bye). I think that's going to be a mistake. Johnson is a stud. Palmer and the CIN offense will improve. They had some injuries on the OL early but all of the guys are back now. They were running all over the Steelers last week. An improved running game will really open it up for Johnson. He'll get his 1300+ yards and 10 TDs.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:00 am

Culpepper will not average 30 points for the season and will not have a 3-5 point advantage the rest of the way for the top tier of QB’s, so in my opinion this was not an optimal pick.

You have to look at the three games he has played and realize that he will not enjoy the same type of match-up advantages the rest of the way. Two of the games were at home and one against a completely depleted Bears D.

KW3

Post by KW3 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:04 am

nnoy,

Is that the same Bears D that did the best job of the season on Philly? Actully, no it wasn't...they had more injuries for the Eagles game.

KW3

Post by KW3 » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:08 am

Min went up and down the field on Dal(#1 D from last year) and they did the same to Philly. If Culpepper doesn't fumble at the 1 and the refs don't screw Min on the cheap holding call on the C than Culp has 2 more rushing TDs and MIN wins easy vs Philly.

nnoy

Post by nnoy » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:21 am

I’m not a Culpepper hater by any means (I own him in a local league) but I just don’t think we will out produce the Brady, Brooks, Bulger group of QB’s by more than 5 points a game the rest of the way. However, Alexander, LT, Holmes and the Edge will without a doubt maintain a huge advantage over the next group of 12-15 point a game RB’s.

crocodyle

Post by crocodyle » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:34 am

nnoy,

In most cases, i'd agree with you. But let's take some numbers and look at them. Culpepper averages 14 pts more than Priest. If Culpepper drops 4 pts on his average (making him equal to Manning or McNabb) and Priest gains 10 pts (which would be tops for RB and several pts above RB avg....and probably not very realistic), the two would have the same avg per game. BUT, Culpepper has no bye week left, so he'd end up with an entire week more in points...about 31 pts or so. The other QB's that i considered...Brady (26.9), McNabb (31.5), and Manning (30.4), are considerably lower and only Brady has had his bye week. I actually considered him (for a second), but only because he may be less likely to become injured. And of the top 4 QB's mentioned above, Culpepper has the easiest remaining schedule (according to several sites). That's the rest of the logic. But you could very well be correct. By next week at this time, i could be wishing i had picked Priest...or Manning....etc ~
da Lizard ;)~