Will There Be A 2011 Season? What Are Your Thoughts?

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu May 27, 2010 2:42 pm

your right about the economic times but football is above where baseball was at the time of the strike. the big problem lies with running an event. your going to lose the first year players from this year that dont cash in. then the last minute locations are impossible to come up with. its going to be a problem for sure.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

GOD Hates You

Post by GOD Hates You » Thu May 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Not to jump the gun, but if an entire season was cancelled what would happen to super bowl locations? Assuming the following season was played would they just go on with the same order or is it possible for a location to be skipped.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri May 28, 2010 2:35 am

Originally posted by THE_BLACKHAND:
its got to be a nitemare for you greg. they could strike a deal in sept and play 2 preseason games and then the season. they could start late and play a full season with the super bowl in march ( my feeling on what will happen). brutal It will absolutely be a nightmare for us and any other live event operator. Do you really sign contracts with guarantees on rooms, food & beverage and rental space if there's any chance that the drafts won't go off? Would consumers really sign up for events that might not take place?

I agree with Rob, you'd almost have to plan for all online drafts and be smart with the overall guarantees. It will be a mess if things aren't resolved by training camp. We'll still have baseball and basketball events to promote and run, but what a mess for all football companies.

Hopefully it won't get to that point, but nothing is guaranteed when it comes down to labor negotiations.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

drago

Post by drago » Fri May 28, 2010 4:57 am

I would really concentrate on fine tuning the online experience. I think there will be a work stoppage of significant length, if not the whole season. You would think people would not be so short-sighted but both sides really want to "win". This is a guaranteed win for the owners IMO as we've seen how foolish/unprepared most players are with money issues. Very few players have the financial education of these owners who have managed their money for far longer.
Concentrate on the online drafting route and you will be much better served as most customers will understand the position you've been placed in. Some will become fed up with the NFL and leave but that's the reality with any strike. I know I'm on the verge of losing interest with the continued flag football rule changes as it is. A season-long strike might be the nail in the coffin.