Seeing Favre In Purple At Lambeau Field

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:04 am

Favre is only that good right now because of his supporting cast. Put him on one of the other mediocre 24+ NFL teams and he would retire again before the season finished.

He made the right choice in coming back to the Vikings as it is likely the only team in the NFL with which he had a shot to return to glory.

Note 1: The Packers aren't the team we thought they were.

Note 2: How about the Vikes schedule this year? That has been a huge boon to him. Cle-Det-SF-GB-Stl-BAL-PIT-GB. I could see this Viking team running the table from here on out if Favre stays healthy with the likes of [DET-SEA-CHI-AZ-CIN-CAR-CHI-NYG] remaining.

Note 3: He is one of the greatest players in all of the NFL to strap on a helmet, regardless of the position. His passion and tenacity are second to few.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

renman

Post by renman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:27 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I don't know how anyone can say he isn't close to being a Top 10 all-time QB. He was the first 3-time MVP award winner, he's gone to two Super Bowls, won one and has set several records. It's difficult for me to take anyone seriously who doesn't think Favre is a Top 10 all-time QB. Hell, you could make a strong argument that he's Top 5. Tom,

I agree with you. But Mike Franscesa and Chris Russo (when he was still with WFAN) were saying he isn't in the top 10 and I was baffled by it. They had guys like Bradshaw and Aikman ahead of him on the strengh of more super bowl wins (laughable, I know).

The guy is playing at a very high level now and I remember prior to the season "experts" talking about his lack of receiver talent to throw to. I guess people forgot about that. There is a ton of undiscovered talent in the NFL that only gets discovered when all the parts are working together for an NFL team.

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:33 am

whoaaaa, slow down here people.

Top 5? Not even close.
Top 10? Ummmmmm, maybe.

And I can't figure how Greg says he's even the best Packer - ahead of Starr? As the ESPN crew would say, "C'mon man!"

Somebody please tell me what he has done to deserve such accolades.

He won a Super Bowl, yeeha.

He is revered in GB because in all of his 16 season's they won 1 Super Bowl. That's right, 1. And truth be told, he did not even have all that much to do with it. Reggie White was responsible for most of that greatness.

How good was Favre? Hmmm, let's see. Almost any QB who wins a Super Bowl is by default the games' MVP. Favre? Nope. Desmond Howard, that's right - a Special Teams player, that's how great Favre was.

I would even say Jeff George was a better QB, he just wasn't the Media Darling that Favre was. He is a Sports Center created icon, that is all. Is he fun to watch, entertaining, sure - but so is a train wreck.

In no real order...
Montana
Staubach
Unitas
Starr
Marino
Aikman
Starr
Bradshaw
Elway
Peyton
Tarkenton

I'd put him just outside this group amidst the likes of Young, Kelly, and Fouts.

I do give him credit though, as he has looked very good this year. But if I were to build a team, he would not even be on my list.

Amen.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 am

Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
whoaaaa, slow down here people.

Top 5? Not even close.
Top 10? Ummmmmm, maybe.

And I can't figure how Greg says he's even the best Packer - ahead of Starr? As the ESPN crew would say, "C'mon man!"

Somebody please tell me what he has done to deserve such accolades.

He won a Super Bowl, yeeha.

He is revered in GB because in all of his 16 season's they won 1 Super Bowl. That's right, 1. And truth be told, he did not even have all that much to do with it. Reggie White was responsible for most of that greatness.

How good was Favre? Hmmm, let's see. Almost any QB who wins a Super Bowl is by default the games' MVP. Favre? Nope. Desmond Howard, that's right - a Special Teams player, that's how great Favre was.

I would even say Jeff George was a better QB, he just wasn't the Media Darling that Favre was. He is a Sports Center created icon, that is all. Is he fun to watch, entertaining, sure - but so is a train wreck.

In no real order...
Montana
Staubach
Unitas
Starr
Marino
Aikman
Starr
Bradshaw
Elway
Peyton
Tarkenton

I'd put him just outside this group amidst the likes of Young, Kelly, and Fouts.

I do give him credit though, as he has looked very good this year. But if I were to build a team, he would not even be on my list.

Amen. Ken, your dislike for Favre preceeds this post. Pleeeeeeeeease, if you think Bart Starr was a better QB than Favre based on talent then you haven't watched enough highlights. Starr managed a good game and even called his plays at times, but for physical talent there is no comparison. Even Starr admits that he didn't have the arm that Favre has.

Starr was on some GREAT, GREAT teams and he was a key part of it. And he played well in the big games. So has Favre. He's easily one of the all-time greats and the best QB in Packers' history, including Starr.

Talking about who is the best QB of all-time is silly because it's like picking Bill Russell over Wilt Chamberlain or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. They were all GREAT. Aikman was GREAT. Bradshaw was GREAT. Montana, Marino, Young, were all GREAT. Favre is a GREAT QB.

Who is best? Who cares. But having watched Favre in person more than any other QB he has proven to me there is nothing he can't do. He's a great one, one of the greatest. But everyone's list for that would be different.

No reason to debate that. But if you want me to pick between Starr or Favre? That's easy.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:47 am

I hear you Greg.

It is silly to argue who is greatest because many are always deserving.

I don't know why it irks me so much that this guy is put on such a pedestal, but for some reason it does.

I just don't see it, never have.

Fun to watch though, no doubt.

Geez, I wonder how I would feel if he was ever a Redskin? Lord help us, haha.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:49 am

HA!!!

You put Dan Marino there, but not Favre...funny stuff.

The arguments can go on forever.

The "If he only had a RB" camp don't factor in that the QB's numbers would be way down had that been the case. Wins up, numbers down.

Same goes for the "If he had a DEFENSE" camp who don't factor in the NEED to chuck the ball non-stop to stay in games.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:56 am

Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
I hear you Greg.

I don't know why it irks me so much that this guy is put on such a pedestal, but for some reason it does.

Geez, I wonder how I would feel if he was ever a Redskin? Lord help us, haha. I know how much you despise him. I hated him yesterday too with all of his stupid antics for the cameras. He loved every second of it. But watching him just pick us apart made me appreciate just how good he really is. I just waited for one of his stupid forced throws and he just never gave us that. Damn.

And one thing about Favre: He has really never had that GREAT receiver outside of Sterling Sharpe, yet he really makes receivers good. He is not throwing balls to Sidney Rice and telling him to go get 'em. He puts so much faith in receivers that they somehow return it in great catches. Berrian and Rice and Harvin looked fantastic yesterday and I just don't think any of them look that good with Rosenfels or anyone else at QB up there. I don't see it.

He's already proven me and everyone else wrong this year. Amazing. Now let's see if he can keep on playing well for the second half and post-season. That's been his killer the last two years and after all he is 40. I still like Rodgers in Green Bay the next 10 years over Favre, but damn, I sure would have taken Favre back these last two years. Thompson is an idiot no matter how this all plays out.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

botherk

Post by botherk » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:05 am

Bart Starr one of the best?...It's like saying Kyle Orton is one of the 10 best if the Broncos go on to have great years over the next few. Starr was in the right place at the right time, his talent has been exceeded numerous times. He was surrounded by a great coaching staff, a great defense, and an even greater offensive line with Hall of Fame running backs. Besides Bradshaw, not many quarterbacks have had all that going for them. Talent wise, I would put even Bob Greise ahead of Starr, but for pure talent, both of them trail Favre and it's not even that close.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by DOOMSDAY:
I hear you Greg.

Geez, I wonder how I would feel if he was ever a Redskin? Lord help us, haha. I know how much you despise him. I hated him yesterday too with all of his stupid antics for the cameras. He loved every second of it. But watching him just pick us apart made me appreciate just how good he really is. I just waited for one of his stupid forced throws and he just never gave us that. Damn.

And one thing about Favre: He has really never had that GREAT receiver outside of Sterling Sharpe, yet he really makes receivers good. He is not throwing balls to Sidney Rice and telling him to go get 'em. He puts so much faith in receivers that they somehow return it in great catches. Berrian and Rice and Harvin looked fantastic yesterday and I just don't think any of them look that good with Rosenfels or anyone else at QB up there. I don't see it.

He's already proven me and everyone else wrong this year. Amazing. Now let's see if he can keep on playing well for the second half and post-season. That's been his killer the last two years and after all he is 40. I still like Rodgers in Green Bay the next 10 years over Favre, but damn, I sure would have taken Favre back these last two years. Thompson is an idiot no matter how this all plays out.
[/QUOTE]Oh yes, Thompson is an idiot ... well said Greg, well said. As I hoped beyond hope that the Packers would find a way to win that game, seeing Favre throw 4 td passes and then seeing Thompson up there in his suite with that glum look made me very smug inside. My patience with Thompson has disappeared.

Greg,
One point that Aikman made yesterday that you might not have heard (since you were at the game) was this... Last year when Favre visited Green Bay in the preseason (a week before signing with the Jets) to try to work things out with Thompson and McCarthy one last time, Aikman said that it's possible that Favre never wanted to re-sign with Green Bay. Not sure if I buy that, but it's an angle that I've never heard before.

Anyways, yep, sound like Favre looked as good in person as he did on tv. He simply ripped up that Packer D for the second time this season and, revenge or not, he's got to feel good right now that he stuck it to TT.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:52 am

Originally posted by rkulaski:
[QUOTE]Greg,
One point that Aikman made yesterday that you might not have heard (since you were at the game) was this... Last year when Favre visited Green Bay in the preseason (a week before signing with the Jets) to try to work things out with Thompson and McCarthy one last time, Aikman said that it's possible that Favre never wanted to re-sign with Green Bay. Not sure if I buy that, but it's an angle that I've never heard before.

Anyways, yep, sound like Favre looked as good in person as he did on tv. He simply ripped up that Packer D for the second time this season and, revenge or not, he's got to feel good right now that he stuck it to TT. A few weeks ago Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that when Favre and McCarthy met to discuss his possible return, the two of them got into such a shouting confrontation that they had to be restrained. I'm sure Favre wanted them to roll out the red carpet for him and instead McCarthy played tough love drill sargeant. He has already said that he asked Favre some questions about returning for the team and he didn't get the answers he wanted to hear, so they moved on. Well, it sounds like they had a good fight before they moved on.

Thompson and McCarthy are stubborn to a fault and it could be their demise here. They stuck to their guns but their guns aren't bigger than the rest of the league's. Minnesota has outdrafted us and outperformed us in free agency and trades and so far this year Childress has even outcoached us. That's a sad fact when Chilly is such a poor coach. But Favre made McCarthy look good in 2007 and he's making Chilly look good now.

The Packers can still earn a wild card spot, but they need a win this week at Tampa and then some big wins vs. Dallas, San Francisco, Chicago and Baltimore. None of those will be easy. But 10-6 gets a wild card in the NFC this year, so that's what you have to shoot for now.

Otherwise, bye bye Teddy and Mike III.