Is This Lockout Going To Affect Your Fantasy Football Interest?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed May 18, 2011 7:41 am

It now looks like we are going to be in it for the long haul. Unless a miracle happens, we'll be lucky to get a negotiated settlement by the middle of July. Everything from free agency to pre-season fantasy magazines to rookie watches will be affected by this lockout and no doubt the interest in fantasy football will be affected.

So here's the obvious question: How has the current lockout affected your interest in fantasy football this year? And even more importantly, how will a prolonged lockout affect your interest in high-stakes fantasy football this year?

From a business standpoint I'm obviously interested in your honest answers. Since we haven't lost anything yet, it's easy to say that if the two sides reach a deal in time to save training camp, the pre-season and the regular season then we should all be fine. But I can see the frustration already from the fans and if more of the off-season is filled with quotes from lawyers and Roger Goodell I think fans are going to get turned off. I'm just wondering at what point that happens.

So help me take your temperature now to see if you're still on board with everything for 2011. And then let me know what your temperature will be at if we're still in July without a deal. And then please let me know what you think will happen to you if we still don't have a deal after Aug. 1st. All of you are the most dedicated fans out there and maybe the NFL needs to hear what you're thinking. Let us know and we'll spread the word in our next Associated Press fantasy column. I have a feeling several newspapers, web sites and radio shows will pick it up.

Thanks and hang in there with us.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

lycanthrope

Post by lycanthrope » Wed May 18, 2011 8:37 am

My interest in football and fantasy football specifically is not affected. My frustration level is growing though as hope that an early settlement might be reached is waning. I will play fantasy football even if the lockout goes deep into the preseason but I think the preparation will be more difficult as free agency is such an unknown at this point and might remain that for a long while. As well, rookies will be unprepared for the start of the season and might have little impact this year. This will be very difficult for fantasy football publishers as there will probably still not be a free agency period when most publishers usually go to press. Websites that can constantly update their content will be much more useful and in demand. I couldn't imagine a season without football and fantasy football and hope it doesn't go that far. If games are missed due to the lockout, the NFL will lose fans but I think us die hard fantasy ballers will be the last to jump ship. We are addicted to the rush and will come back as soon as we are able to. I'm sure some may disagree but I think most will come back.

Disposable Heroes

[ May 18, 2011, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Lycanthrope ]

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Wed May 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

So here's the obvious question: How has the current lockout affected your interest in fantasy football this year? And even more importantly, how will a prolonged lockout affect your interest in high-stakes fantasy football this year?
actually, my interest has risen. with zero moves taking place until later this summer, i feel it's gonna be a wise guy type of season. there will be a lot of information to process in a very short amount of time. advantage wise guys (hopefully that will be me)

Getpaddled

Post by Getpaddled » Wed May 18, 2011 2:30 pm

My interest is not affected one bit by the lock out UNLESS... the season gets cut in half or they play less regular season games... I would shy away from higher entry fee leagues if they don't play all 16.... $60 games couldn't have come at a better time
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed May 18, 2011 3:22 pm

Let's see - I have 4 drafts and an auction going on right now. .......probably not! :D

Wayne

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Wed May 18, 2011 6:34 pm

If the season gets pushed or training camps shortened, etc. I won't be spending nearly as much money at the high stake level. I will still play Main Events, but no higher buy-ins.
@RedRyder

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu May 19, 2011 1:45 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Like Wayne, the lockout while annoying hasn't affected my interest yet at all. I've also already been part of a number of drafts this season, having completed both the Trendsetters and Genesis drafts and currently drafting for two Dynasty leagues, one an independent startup. I've enjoyed or am enjoying all of them. In fact, I've probably focused as much or more on my current football drafting than my baseball teams which are actually playing games right now!

It remains to be seen if my interest fades if the lockout extends into July or August, never been through this before while playing fantasy. Even if my interest remains just as strong, the ability to finalize plans is going to be a bigger hurdle the longer the lockout continues.

That said Greg, I believe most of your hardcore players, those like myself who frequent the boards and draft even now in mid-May, will do whatever it takes to make last minute plans and rearrange schedules to be a part of the NFFC no matter when the lockout ends. We're just too addicted. The worry has to be about the marginal player, who takes one Main Event team or one Primetime or plays a couple satellites. I can see that type of player writing off the fantasy football season if the lockout extends too far into training camp. I don't necessarily see them making the efforts necessary to adjust last minute plans. That player will be the issue for the high stakes contests.

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu May 19, 2011 2:28 am

How does this affect the Diesel household? Hmm, what to do with all of this fantasy football money?

www.JetBlueTripPlanner.com/vacationhold.com {Quitsch//Reservation-Hold//BoraBora Luxury VIP Villa//Party-3//5 Star dining//In-House Masseuse//7 Days-6 Nights} *$250 deposit-non-refundable---decision to travel must be made by 08/20/11 or if the NFL makes their decision earlier.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu May 19, 2011 2:31 am

All good feedback so far. Thanks and keep 'em coming. I agree with all of you.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Thu May 19, 2011 2:32 am

Originally posted by Glenneration X:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
Like Wayne, the lockout while annoying hasn't affected my interest yet at all. I've also already been part of a number of drafts this season, having completed both the Trendsetters and Genesis drafts and currently drafting for two Dynasty leagues, one an independent startup. I've enjoyed or am enjoying all of them. In fact, I've probably focused as much or more on my current football drafting than my baseball teams which are actually playing games right now!

It remains to be seen if my interest fades if the lockout extends into July or August, never been through this before while playing fantasy. Even if my interest remains just as strong, the ability to finalize plans is going to be a bigger hurdle the longer the lockout continues.

That said Greg, I believe most of your hardcore players, those like myself who frequent the boards and draft even now in mid-May, will do whatever it takes to make last minute plans and rearrange schedules to be a part of the NFFC no matter when the lockout ends. We're just too addicted. The worry has to be about the marginal player, who takes one Main Event team or one Primetime or plays a couple satellites. I can see that type of player writing off the fantasy football season if the lockout extends too far into training camp. I don't necessarily see them making the efforts necessary to adjust last minute plans. That player will be the issue for the high stakes contests.
[/QUOTE]keep focusing on football Glenn and ignore the AC auction baseball league so the 2nd place team can catch you:)