What's different in 2011?

renman

Post by renman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:49 am

Tom,

I did it both ways. I went into my leagues with one of two strategies. I am in four NFFC leagues. In two I attacked a stud QB (got Rodgers in both) and played catch up the rest of the draft.

In my other two leagues I attacked the stud wideouts early targeting Calvin Johnson (got him in one league and Andre Johnson in the league someone took Calvin first). Trying to get the right QB later.

Peyton Manning ended up not to be the right guy...lol

The end result is regardless of which way you go, you need to hit on numerous other players among your top 5-6 pics and/or hit a home run with a later pick that comes out of nowhere like Cam Newton, D. Sproles or Steve Smith.

[ November 04, 2011, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Renman ]

Fro

Post by Fro » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 am

Originally posted by Coltsfan:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
Thanks Glenn. We did anticipate some of this given the lockout. But last year was pretty similar, and with no lockout. Too easy to negate the first few rounds of picks = what's the point of research? :confused: The research will always matter. You aren't going to get it right every time, you can get the right RB but injuries in the O-line can kill his production, you can have the right WR but then his QB gets hurt. Yes that can all wreck your team or your game plan But it's when you do all of this and you nail it - that's what makes it worth while. Joe Blow can walk in off the street and beat me in any given league. But is he going to win 7/10? I think we just have to look at it big picture and set aside when a certain league or even a certain year doesn't go as planned.

Wayne
[/QUOTE]WHAT IF . . . . .

We created ONE league based on multiple subsidiary leagues. It could be three or 5. I know it would be a lot of management, but it would allow the best managers to shine through. It would open up a whole new realm of fantasy football.

trademark

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:06 am

trademark! I love it!

That would really be awesome! Diesel did that last year in Diesel's double where you drafted two DC leagues and combined the scores for the winner.

For even more fun - different draft spots in each league......

Wayne

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:07 pm

Originally posted by Quahogs:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:

No. 1 is what really jumps out at me, though. There seem to be fewer stud talents that you can consistently depend on. It's a crazy league when Laurent Robinson outproduces Miles Austin or Eric Decker makes Vincent Jackson look bad. That kind of thing seems to happen more and more. That's one of the reasons why I've strongly advocated getting a top QB if possible. Sure, you can hit on a lesser player here or there and top players can have bad weeks like everyone else, but with so much guessing involved why not just take a stud and enjoy the ride?

This is precisely why you need to push QB's back. Solid steady players are increasingly flighty these days so you need to grab as many as you can and see what sticks.

For example : (V.Jackson, M.Wallace and Eli (8th rd) or V.Jackson, Vick and Burleson (8th rd) ?
[/QUOTE]What about Rodgers/Jennings/Welker?
[/QUOTE]Well of course if you're clairvoyant you can cherry pick every round. But if you're not... If you need to hit on 3 RB/WR's in the 1st 4 rds to win it all then it pays to have 4 bullets in the chamber instead of 3.
[/QUOTE]Great point but not sure Tom gives the best example....
What about VJax, Vick, and S Rice?
Or VJax, Vick, and Sproles?
Or Vjax, Vick, and Julio Jones?
Or Vjax, Vick, and insert flex TE - F Davis, Gronkowski, or A Hernandez

Instead of Vjax, Wallace, and Eli...
what about...
VJax, Wallace, and J Freeman?
Vjax, Wallace, and P Rivers?
Vjax, Wallace, and Flacco?

A Rodgers averaging 16 to 18 pts more than these 3.
multiple ways to skin the proverbial cat.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:27 am

Originally posted by Renman:
quote:Originally posted by Sandman62:
IOW, fantasy football is now about on the same LUCK level as lottery scratch tickets. :( All the draft prep, waiver transactions and astute lineup decisions go out the window when each week virtual nobodies - including DSTs - go off every week while numerous perceived-studs fail to break double digits.

We will seriously reconsider continuing high stakes games next year with this environment. I think a skilled player (and you are in my opinion), who prepares hard, runs his team well, is on top of transactions, etc is going to have successful results 5 to 6 seasons out of 10 . And you hope (assuming it is high stakes) you have a chance once out of those 5 to 6 seasons to have a shot at a massive prize.
[/QUOTE]This is pretty much along the lines of where I was thinking (hoping).

No one is going to have success EVERY year in one event. Now you might string together 4 or 5 great seasons, but inevitably you are going to have a "down" season or two, or three, etc. in a row.

The key for me this year is having too many teams......it has really made the season UNENJOYABLE, and I will definitely be cutting back next year.

You have to do what makes it fun FOR YOU, and go from there. While there is a lot of luck involved, there is still a great deal of skills as well, but guess what......WE DON"T RECOGNIZE THAT AS MUCH. WHY?? ....because that is what we feel is SUPPOSED to happen. :rolleyes:

It is frustrating to spend thousands of dollars and watch so many things we have little control over happen. A few of my friends play fantasy baseball and tell me that the luck isn't nearly as evident, and I totally agree because....

1) You have 30 man rosters, so much easier to withstand an injury.

2) 162 games compared to 16 games spreads out the data, and in turn, less luck.

3) You don't have a "reset button" after 13 weeks like in football, as if you have a great first 23 weeks, you can tank the last 3 weeks and could still have a VERY nice payday.

So WHY wouldn't all of us play fantasy baseball instead? For me, it is TWO reasons....

1) The player pool is ridiculously large (minor leagues), the time put into it EVERY DAY for 6-8 months (counting prep) for the reward, simply is not worth it for me.

and most importantly....

2) I DON"T ENJOY IT! I LOVE watching football, but watching a baseball game on TV is like watching paint dry. One of my friends who has a lot of success at fantasy baseball rarely (if ever) watches ANY games. Sure, he may make some $$$, but just like a regular job, if you don't LOVE IT, why do it??? :confused:

So for me, I will continue to play because I enjoy the comraderie, the game, the strategizing before and during season, and just realize that I WON'T do well every season.

Unfortunately, Wayne is correct about how the teams involve 4 receivers each game, and 3-4 man backfields are probably the trend.

This team could have lost it's first FOUR or FIVE picks and would probably still be blowing away everyone in it's league....

QB- Cam Newton
RB- Fred Jackson
RB- Darren Sproles
WR- Steve Smith
WR- AJ Green or Pierre Garcon
WR- Victor Cruz, Nate Washington, or Eric Decker
TE- Fred Davis
K- Pick one
D- Baltimore

So while people may have "lucked" into drafting these players, I am sure all of us (including Sandman) had a shot at these guys and went a different direction.

In the years when we have success, I guarantee we have a lot more of these guys on our roster.

It really is a great post, Wayne, and while some of us are frustrated, we know we will be back next year (well at least I will.....if promises are kept ;) ) because we love everything about the game!

Keep chugging along, and come January....it all starts fresh! :D

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 am

Originally posted by BillyWaz:
A few of my friends play fantasy baseball and tell me that the luck isn't nearly as evident, and I totally agree because....

3) You don't have a "reset button" after 13 weeks like in football, as if you have a great first 23 weeks, you can tank the last 3 weeks and could still have a VERY nice payday.

So WHY wouldn't all of us play fantasy baseball instead? For me, it is TWO reasons....

1) The player pool is ridiculously large (minor leagues), the time put into it EVERY DAY for 6-8 months (counting prep) for the reward, simply is not worth it for me.

and most importantly....

2) I DON"T ENJOY IT! I LOVE watching football, but watching a baseball game on TV is like watching paint dry. One of my friends who has a lot of success at fantasy baseball rarely (if ever) watches ANY games. Sure, he may make some $$$, but just like a regular job, if you don't LOVE IT, why do it??? :confused:

I know this has been discussed many times but fun to discuss regardless...

I LOVE both fantasy baseball and football but enjoy baseball much more.

Some think you have to put in all these hours and hours of work to succeed at baseball. Depends who you talk to. I've had success 3 straight years. Some guys like Gekko and Chest Rockwell make it sound like your in medical school when preparing for baseball...
If you are organized and know where and how to get your info, not so. And, if it feels like work at all, don't do it for goodness sake! It's supposed to be fun reading about baseball and examining the stats, ranking players, and then finally drafting.
Fantasy baseball isn't for everyone... Yes, you keep up with it daily but that's a plus for some of us over football.
Fantasy football is such a short season. Baseball you can actually do year round if you love it. We are drafting for 2012 before the World Series even ends!
I watch very little to no baseball during the summer, the games are boring. But highlights are fun, reading about the players is fun, and of course there is nothing like reading box scores daily. Football just once a week. So it's all what you prefer.
Big positive to fantasy football is there is nothing like sitting down on Sunday and wathcing your Rb run for 150 and 2 tds. Sundays are so much fun...well as long as your teams do well :D
Football- you have a big day and life is good. You have a bad Sunday and it sucks. Baseball- you have a bad day, so what? You've got a 161 other days to make it up.
Baseball- absolutely more "skill" involved. Football with all the injuries, shared backfields, etc, more "luck". However, to succeed, they both require time and preparation (one much more so than the other) which is perfectly ok because that'a all part of the fun! At least for some. Just my take on the fantasy football/baseball pros/cons.

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:32 am

I just want to say that i am really enjoying this thread,and Love the posts by Wayne and Billy,both great reads.
Tom and Steve,excellent points on where to take your qb,and i might add that if we all thought alike,this game would just be boring.

particra

Post by particra » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:36 am

With the amount of luck (and injuries and timeshares) undeniably increasing, I think we need expanded rosters. I hate the fact that I have to cut my draft lottery tickets just to be able to field a team during bye weeks.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:44 am

That's an interesting idea. Maybe a few years ago, when there were less weekly fill-ins on the wire that actually produced as well as starters, the 19 or 20-man rosters made more sense. But it's too easy to go to the wire and get a scrub who has as good a chance of double digits as players drafted in the first few rounds. Maybe adding 2-4 spots would tilt the balance back?

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
A few of my friends play fantasy baseball and tell me that the luck isn't nearly as evident, and I totally agree because....

and most importantly....

I know this has been discussed many times but fun to discuss regardless...

I LOVE both fantasy baseball and football but enjoy baseball much more.

Some think you have to put in all these hours and hours of work to succeed at baseball. Depends who you talk to. I've had success 3 straight years. Some guys like Gekko and Chest Rockwell make it sound like your in medical school when preparing for baseball...
If you are organized and know where and how to get your info, not so. And, if it feels like work at all, don't do it for goodness sake! It's supposed to be fun reading about baseball and examining the stats, ranking players, and then finally drafting.
Fantasy baseball isn't for everyone... Yes, you keep up with it daily but that's a plus for some of us over football.
Fantasy football is such a short season. Baseball you can actually do year round if you love it. We are drafting for 2012 before the World Series even ends!
I watch very little to no baseball during the summer, the games are boring. But highlights are fun, reading about the players is fun, and of course there is nothing like reading box scores daily. Football just once a week. So it's all what you prefer.
Big positive to fantasy football is there is nothing like sitting down on Sunday and wathcing your Rb run for 150 and 2 tds. Sundays are so much fun...well as long as your teams do well :D
Football- you have a big day and life is good. You have a bad Sunday and it sucks. Baseball- you have a bad day, so what? You've got a 161 other days to make it up.
Baseball- absolutely more "skill" involved. Football with all the injuries, shared backfields, etc, more "luck". However, to succeed, they both require time and preparation (one much more so than the other) which is perfectly ok because that'a all part of the fun! At least for some. Just my take on the fantasy football/baseball pros/cons. [/QUOTE]These are all very valid points, and I'm sure they are all true.

Personally, my concern is that I can burn out in Fantasy if I'm not careful. By Week 10 of the NFL season, I can't wait for Free Agency to end because I'm tired of it all. Absolutely love Sundays and the playoffs, but it can become a grind during the week, especially towards the end.

I can't imagine what this situation would be like for baseball, a game that is way too slow during a season that is way too long.

That's just me, though. I can see how someone with much more passion for baseball would love every second of it.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven