Hats Off To Golden Tornado

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko II:
quote:Originally posted by BillyWaz:
Darren,

I apologize for "getting into it" on a thread which is meant to feature your accomplishments.

I just get real tired of being "the example" (by a friend nonetheless) EVERY time the luck/skill debate rears it's head.

What you are doing this year is OUTSTANDING!!! Do it again next year, and the year after that, but chances are there are certain people that will still just call you "lucky"! :rolleyes: YOU are the LIFETIME NFFC points leader. i called you out on that. ouch, that must hurt.

most of us wish we had your track record in the nffc classic. the fact that you haven't done better come playoff time is because you've been unlucky, not unskilled.

if this game were indeed based primarily on skill, IMO you should have won more leagues and placed higher overall, no?

i think you deserve a better playoff fate than you have received to date. i'm on your side here. be proud of your accomplishments.
[/QUOTE]Should the Season be worth ave. X(2). So if you ave. 150 for the season, you would enter the Championship Round with 300. A guy who got in best HTH record and ave. 120 points would go in with 240. I think the season should be worth more than the 3 week playoffs are.

Just a thought.

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Originally posted by Raiders:
Should the Season be worth ave. X(2). So if you ave. 150 for the season, you would enter the Championship Round with 300. A guy who got in best HTH record and ave. 120 points would go in with 240. I think the season should be worth more than the 3 week playoffs are.

Just a thought. i think you pegged it here john. in baseball there are no playoffs, which means the "regular season" counts 100%. in football, the regular season counts 1/4 or 25%! :eek:

i'm thinking 1/2 or 50% might make more sense. that would mean 3 weekly average plus your 3 playoff weeks. just thinking outloud here.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:54 pm

quote:Originally posted by Raiders:
Should the Season be worth ave. X(2). So if you ave. 150 for the season, you would enter the Championship Round with 300. A guy who got in best HTH record and ave. 120 points would go in with 240. I think the season should be worth more than the 3 week playoffs are.

Just a thought. i think you pegged it here john. in baseball there are no playoffs, which means the "regular season" counts 100%. in football, the regular season counts 1/4 or 25%! :eek:

i'm thinking 1/2 or 50% might make more sense. that would mean 3 weekly average plus your 3 playoff weeks. just thinking outloud here.
[/QUOTE]In a perfect world without the C-Word...a 2X would/could fly. 3X is too much. The riff raff have already been eliminated by keeping the overall playoffs exclusive...so those that get in, earn it.

If you want it like baseball...keep a log of overall 16 week score, and give that team a bigger prize. We all know that there are teams of players now...this isn't 2003. Many/most top players have become friends and even pool ideas and money. The temptation to manipulate an individual league in order to get the overall prize is the main reason why there is a "reset" once the playoffs start.

You may be able to c-word your way into the playoffs...but then it's a battle.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

Gordon Gekko II

Post by Gordon Gekko II » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:58 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
In a perfect world without the C-Word...a 2X would/could fly. 3X is too much. The riff raff have already been eliminated by keeping the overall playoffs exclusive...so those that get in, earn it.
last year in the nffc, what was the highest weekly avg entering the playoffs and what was the lowest?

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:07 pm

quote:Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
In a perfect world without the C-Word...a 2X would/could fly. 3X is too much. The riff raff have already been eliminated by keeping the overall playoffs exclusive...so those that get in, earn it.
last year in the nffc, what was the highest weekly avg entering the playoffs and what was the lowest?
[/QUOTE]That is irrelevant. The regular season's entire point is to MAKE the playoffs.
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:33 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
Whatever the reason it's an amazing run Darren is having so far. His hunches have paid off and I for one would love to trade places with him this season. :D

I still don't understand the word "skill" being applied to what we do here. We read other writers facts and info and and try to speculate what it all means. This game isn't littered with beat writers and talent scouts....just a bunch of opinionated football lovers. We don't really do much besides read...ponder...read some more...watch football...phone a friend...poll the audience and use our 50/50 on certain draft choices.

If everyone does the same thing where is the edge we can gain to make this a game of skill. At best is a game of good guessing.

I told Billy if we are skillful because we agree with information cultivated by others then I want the same credit as Einstein when i agree with his "theory of relativaty" ;) Route C,

Excellent post. Really, that's what we do, we gather info based on what we see and read and then decide what to believe and what not to believe. That really is a large part of it. Not sure if I'd call that "skill."

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:43 pm

Note my edit below in bold type:

let's recap:
2. Shrink Attack makes TWO OBVIOUSLY SARCASTIC posts that it is all luck.
Wouldn't want my original intent to congratulate Golden Tornados on his skill to be distorted into something else as a consequence of this twisted debate.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

bobsgym13

Post by bobsgym13 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:47 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:
Whatever the reason it's an amazing run Darren is having so far. His hunches have paid off and I for one would love to trade places with him this season. :D

I still don't understand the word "skill" being applied to what we do here. We read other writers facts and info and and try to speculate what it all means. This game isn't littered with beat writers and talent scouts....just a bunch of opinionated football lovers. We don't really do much besides read...ponder...read some more...watch football...phone a friend...poll the audience and use our 50/50 on certain draft choices.

If everyone does the same thing where is the edge we can gain to make this a game of skill. At best is a game of good guessing.

I told Billy if we are skillful because we agree with information cultivated by others then I want the same credit as Einstein when i agree with his "theory of relativaty" ;) Route C,

Excellent post. Really, that's what we do, we gather info based on what we see and read and then decide what to believe and what not to believe. That really is a large part of it. Not sure if I'd call that "skill."
[/QUOTE]I am in a great place. I think it takes a significant amount of skill and if I am wrong I'm so ignorant that I'll never realize it. :D :D

Bob
Luck in FF is like a game of Russian Roulette. The BWaz's of the world only have one bullet to spin - the rest of us have two. It's still mostly luck, but ...
-By Bob (For Gekko)

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Originally posted by Bob Squad:
quote:Originally posted by rkulaski:
quote:Originally posted by Route C:

[/QUOTE]I am in a great place. I think it takes a significant amount of skill and if I am wrong I'm so ignorant that I'll never realize it. :D :D

Bob
[/QUOTE]heck i feel just the opposite, when I do well in fantasy football, i feel it takes a significant amount of luck. :D if i can just avoid the injury landmines every week and... kaboooom , there went owen daniels my starting te on 3 of my 5 teams. ugghh. kellen winslow- you better step up!

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Originally posted by rkulaski:

Really, that's what we do, we gather info based on what we see and read and then decide what to believe and what not to believe. That really is a large part of it. Not sure if I'd call that "skill." The same description can be made about the process involved in picking stocks and playing poker, even by the seasoned career professionals.

Both also have an element of luck and skill, learning previous data, extrapolating to the future, listening to a variety of opinions, playing the odds, learning from experience, playing hunches, etc. Most people would say that someone can develop a "stock-picking skill" or a "poker skill" based on this.

I don't understand why Fantasy Football players can't develop a level of "skill" in the same way? And that some FF players are more "skilled" than others and thus hold an advantage.

BTW...I feel complicit in this becoming a skill vs. luck debate which was not my intention and something I find distasteful. So this is my last post in this thread...thanks for listening. :cool:
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven