Okay, So How Do You Win An NFFC Title?

wiljiro2

Post by wiljiro2 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:18 am

What is AMAZING is how little a role Free Agent Acquisitions played in the Championships -

Only Michael Treffiletti benefited with Victor Cruz - The other championships were won with just their drafts -

I think the 4 keys are as follows - with in my opinion, number ONE being the most important -

1 - Injuries - Avoid them - or be prepared for them - My brother's team was number 2 in overall points Online going into the Championship Round - He was undefeated - 13-0 - Then Fred Jackson went down - He should have drafted CJ Spiller - Cedric Benson just did not cut the mustard - He finished 12th -

2 - Top QB - It's absolutely essential that you get a top shelf performing QB - Whether it's Rodgers early, Brees later, or a Romo further down the road - There is not a single team in the top 20 of the Online that did not have a stud at that position -

3 - Top Shelf Performance / From Top Shelf Players - Your 1-3 round players have to ACT like it! - You need production from your "No Brainer" guys, or you are done -

4 - Round 8-10 Gem/Steal - Sproles / Gronkowski - - A mid-draft find/sleeper that performs like a 1-3 draft pick - It's vital - If everyone you draft performs precisely to their expectations, (to their forecast in relation to where they were drafted), you will end up precisely in the middle of the pack. It's like shooting PAR in a PGA event. You NEED guys in the mid rounds to out perform their draft positions - it's essential - ie Steve Smith -

There is also one that I won't include on the list, and that is LUCK. You absolutely have to have it - I think skill, and a strong draft can win your league. But once you get into the dance in a 3 game run for the prize, good ol' lady luck takes center stage -

Then again, what do I know? On my team I took Vick AHEAD of Rodgers - (Yes you read that right) - It was the only league where Rodgers was not the first QB off the board - I really thought this would be a continuation of last season for Mike - Never a fun exercise to substitute the guy you SHOULD have taken's numbers with they guy you drafted - (We all know drafts can easily go in many different directions) - but for the shear agony of it, I did so - It was not pretty -

Nine months of this.... NINE MONTHS OF THIS..??... When's training camp?

Wiljiro
The Magic Man...> Now you see 'em, Now you don't! - "Ohhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:32 am

Originally posted by wiljiro2:
2 - Top QB - It's absolutely essential that you get a top shelf performing QB - Whether it's Rodgers early, Brees later, or a Romo further down the road - There is not a single team in the top 20 of the Online that did not have a stud at that position -
Good points on all, but this one stands out. The crazy thing about finding a top QB is that this year you could find them in many different spots. You could have gotten Rodgers early, Brees a bit later, Stafford even later or Cam Newton waaaaaaaay later. And like you said, some people did try to land a top QB early and got burned by Michael Vick.

So it's not as easy as just saying "I'm taking Rodgers first this year no matter what." Some folks did that with Vick, got burned by him and were chasing RBs and WRs later. The key is to get value with every pick at every position if possible.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Okay, So How Do You Win An NFFC Title?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:42 am

If you're looking for the perfect formula to win an NFFC title this year, check out this thread. It's a fun read right from the very start, although the point of the post was to show that there really isn't any one way to win in the NFFC!! :mrgreen: There are MANY DIFFERENT WAYS to win in the NFFC, as evidenced from our three champions from 2011.

Check out the first post, look at their championship drafts and then see if you can put a championship team together as well. Good luck all.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius