Interesting contrast

Shrink Attack

Interesting contrast

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

I drafted two teams in the Classic this year, and something interesting has emerged.

These two teams were drafted with the following things exactly the same:

1) Same exact drafter
2) Same exact draft strategy
3) Same exact draft position (14th)
4) Same cheat sheet
5) Same (roughly) WW targets/bids/strategy

The ONLY difference is that Team #1 was drafted 4 days earlier than Team #2. I checked the cheat sheets from the two drafts and they are almost identical except for some very minor differences. My targeted players were the same, and I also tend to draft the same players in multiple drafts if they're available. Probably not a sound strategy, but if I like a player, I take him multiple times and I don't "hedge" by taking different players in different drafts to lower risk. This tends to result in my rosters being MORE alike than they are different.

The result after 9 weeks (before the Thursday night game):

Team #1 is 265th out of 280 teams
Team #2 is 27th out of 280 teams

That's another reason this hobby can be so frustrating sometimes. I approached these drafts and managed these teams in essentially identical ways, yet the outcomes couldn't be more different.

Obviously, who you're drafting against, which players fall to you, and luck (injuries, etc.) all play a major role.

I see some major, big-time fantasy names near the bottom in the overall Classic standings this year. These are players whose skill is unquestioned, yet the 2011 season has absolutely kicked their butt.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

King of Queens

Interesting contrast

Post by King of Queens » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:58 pm

6) 20 minutes late to the draft for one team, and on time for the other one.

Anyone care to guess which team is doing better? :D

GriffithVT

Interesting contrast

Post by GriffithVT » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:03 am

I know this year has been insane player production wise as far as projections but I'm not buying the "big players" are performing side of it. The reason is that this league is so competitive with the calibar of competition and the 14 team format that there is a very small margin of error for anyone. Even the "big players" have never one a league more than 2 or 3 times since the NFFC's inception. No one runs this league year in and out.

I feel you though man on the difference in drafts from the same spot...here is my blunder...in my Classic league I hit the wrong player and took Cooley when I meant to take Michael Bush. I though about it for a second and didn't notify the moderator of my mistake....wow I'm an idiot...wonder how much that will cost me. I have several free agent guys I passed on who have become studs...Demarco, L. Robinson etc This truly is a game of inches.

Mark
Cobra Kai
The Gstar!