**NEW NFFC vs. WCOFF THREAD**

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:37 pm

There is one scenario where skipping your pick could be a possibility. All the "stars" must be alligned just right. Here's how it goes.

You are Team 13, picking at your 2.13/3.02 turn. You drafted LT2 at 1.02 and are looking to draft 1 RB and 1 WR at this turn. You have the following 4 players ranked "evenly": Fitzgerald & Boldin and C.Taylor and W.Dunn. Again, you prime objective here is to end up with 1 RB and 1 WR after this turn.

If you were to draft one of your two WRs, say Fitzgerald, it is possible that Team 14 will draft both your RBs at 2.14/3.01, leaving you with Boldin.

If you draft one of your RBs, say C.Taylor, it is possible that Team 14 will draft both your WRs at 2.14/3.01, leaving you with W.Dunn.

Here is how you guarantee this doesn't happen:

You SKIP your 2.13 pick and let Team 14 make his selection. If Team 14 takes one of your WRs, you grab the other WR immediately after. If with the following pick Team 14 drafts one of your RBs, you will get the other remaining. Thus you get your WR/RB.

Same with the RB. You skip your pick. If Team 14 drafts one of your RBs, you take the other one immediately afterwards. If then Team 14 drafts one of your WRs, you still have the other WR left for you to draft. Thus you get your RB/WR.

Again, in order for this to be played out, you must be willing to draft EITHER of the 2 RBs and EITHER of the 2 WRs.

This is the ONLY scenario that I can think of where skipping a pick GUARANTEES you the wanted result.
For Players. By Players.

Team Legacy

Post by Team Legacy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:48 pm

What a grand idea. I can't believe this hasn't been brought up before now.
Twitter: @ScottFantasy

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:51 pm

A good example you present here, Nag. However, the biggest problem (and admittedly you do throw in the "stars aligned" caveat) is having 4 players that are ranked evenly. Even at the turns, to me there's ALWAYS one player that's better than the rest--and you'd be crazy to take a chance on letting that guy go.

It's unfortunate that Z-Men takes so much heat about this one strategem. Surely there are some truly helpful ideas in "Drafting to Win"...

So who's going to present the NFFC vs. WCOFF idea to Lenny?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:03 pm

Originally posted by King of Queens:
the biggest problem (and admittedly you do throw in the "stars aligned" caveat) is having 4 players that are ranked evenly. I don't think you need to have ALL four players "equal" just both pairs of RBs and WRs.

But yeah, if you LOVE any one more than the other three, you obviously grab him and don't look back.
For Players. By Players.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:30 pm

Originally posted by sportsbettingman:
One idea that I thought of re: advantage of skipping your pick would be...

Using todays draft...I'm at pos 12 of 14.

Me 12
BillyWaz 13
Follow Me 14

Say...we're coming down in round 9 and I'm still without a QB...(and there are only 2 left that I want)

Teams 1-11 already have a QB1...so...I'm pretty sure they will wait until the later rounds to get a backup (sometime AFTER my pick in the 11th round).

Teams 13, 14 and myself at 12 do NOT have a QB1 yet.

I WANT a certain WR at this point...but do NOT want to sacrifice my QB1 to get this WR...but the chance I can get the same QB1 in the 11th round remains high if they are not selected by teams 13 and 14 during the end of the 9th/start of the 10th.

I can "skip" my pick...risking that teams 13 and 14 DO NOT select the WR I covet...and should they select one of the two QB's I'd like to draft in the 11th round...I can jump in a grab the other QB1 (valued the same IMO)

Benefit of skipping...(IMO)
Teams 13 and 14 DO NOT draft a QB nor my WR...

I get the WR I targeted in the 9th (late...when it's my turn in the 10th)...AND my targetted 10th round RB/TE/WR bonus! (based on me not using my 9th/10th rounder on a QB...believing I'll still get that QB1 in the 11th.

If they DO take a QB1...I jump in and get the other QB1 I need now...no real loss.

It has to have the stars align to come through...but it has its base in logical gambling of what the other players will draft...trying to get 3 great picks, rather that only 2.

~Lance I get it ... good call ... bad example.

Try this

Your the second pick of this draft and it's back to you in round 2 ... you have a two RB's you really like (AND DEFINATELY WANT ONE OF THEM) ... but you also want a piticular WR who you also like and should be grabbed in the corner.

If you grab the WR ... you may lose both RB's

If you grab a RB ... you might lose the WR

At 2.13 you skip your pick.

If the first pick of the draft picks one of your RB's at 2.14 ... you step in and grab the other before he picks 3.1 ... if he doesn't pick one of your RB's or your WR ... you grab your WR and grab the RB he doesn't at 3.2 since one or the other will still be available. It's a reach ... but it IS really thinking outside the box.

Good thoughts!
Hakuna Matata!

LFW

Post by LFW » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:32 pm

From Greg- "I'll put up the prize money to back my 13 top participants."

Props to Greg. Although I'm not sure that money is really needed with bragging rights for a year on the line already..incentive should be adaquate with or without $.
The TYRUNT of CDM Fantasy Sports Football Challenge and High Roller Football Contests!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:32 pm

Mike, scroll up a couple of posts to see Nag's nearly identical -- check that, ENTIRELY identical -- example.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:35 pm

Originally posted by Lightning Fast Whip:
From Greg- "I'll put up the prize money to back my 13 top participants."

Props to Greg. Although I'm not sure that money is really needed with bragging rights for a year on the line already..incentive should be adaquate with or without $. Agreed. That said, money talks and B.S. walks...

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:35 pm

Nice clear cut example, Tomatoes...good job.

I just logically thought it had merit...and was receiving too much criticism/ridicule.

!Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver