14 Team Leagues vs. 12 Team Leagues

BubbasHouse

Post by BubbasHouse » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:48 pm

Fisher - can I hang with you at the 19th hole? I don't golf but I could certainly leverage a lot of fun out of your bar bill at the club!

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:09 pm

Originally posted by SNAKE:
Greg - there already IS a satellite league that exists using BBDS with an NFFC All-Star studded cast of battle-hardened FF fighting comrades; it's called The SNAKE Classic - check it out:

LEAGUE OWNERS:

1) SNAKE (SNAKE)
2) LLCoolEddieJ (Eddie Gillis)
3) Johnny Junkie (Johnny Frisella)
4) RouteShe (Jeff Clampitt)
5) BlackHand (Frank Mammola)
6) FF4Charity (Rob Benetti)
7) Taxes (Adam Miller)
8) God Loves Ya (Patrick Welsh)
9) Fi$her (Ryan & David Fisher)
10) Sack (Ken Magner)
11) Scareface (Rick Hart)
12) Team Thompson (Don Thompson)
13) Poncho (Carlos Perez)
14) Woozy Wazzy (Billy Wasosky) This will be the best league of the year IMO! The person that finishes 14th in all liklihood will be cashing in other leagues.

[ June 28, 2006, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Route C ]

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:30 pm

Originally posted by Nag':
quote:Originally posted by RiFF:
Nag, I guess I was also saying that I don't agree that a prepared player has any less "options" in a 14 team draft than a 12 team draft. I interpreted that you were saying the only way to be competitive in a 14 team draft is to draft RB's early and by that I assume you mean 2 rounds 2 RBs or 3 rounds 2 RBs. And then if you have an early round pick or a late round pick you can't draft a competitive team if you are on the wrong side of a TE or QB run. I don't agree with any of that as it specifically applies to a 14 team league vs a 12 team leagueHey, it's only my opinion. Certainly not fact but my 6 seasons of drafting and studying the NFFC & WCOFF format have taught me a thing or two. I'd elaborate more but I'd rather not - I knwo you understand. Maybe we'll revisit this topic after the draft in Spetember. [/QUOTE]One more time Nag ... please respond to this part!

14 team leagues will seperate the contenders from the pretenders more than a 12 team league (because it's a harder draft). 12 is harder than 8 ... which is harder than 6 ... my twelve year old neice could draft a good team in a six person league with a good cheet sheet and 15 minutes of instruction and still have a pretty good chance to win. (assuming an average cheat sheet ... maybe 1 in 8 maybe). She could probably still manage to draft a competative team from a cheat sheet in a 8 man league (but I would have to coach her upfront on how to draft backups). In a ten team league I would probably need to add some practice drafts and teach her some drafting concepts ... and even then ... her odds of winning would be about one in 20 or something like that. I doubt she could pull off a 12 man league ... but I am sure she would be dead money in a 14 person league for sure.

It is incramentally harder to draft in larger leagues and skill levels of participants will be more apparent in the larger leagues. I wouldn't get in 6 or 8 team leagues because I think it's just a roll of the dice (luck) to win in them.

It's not that better players draft in 14 team leagues ... it only means your skill level will come more into play in them.
Hakuna Matata!

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:41 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:
what i don't like in the 14 team format is once you get to the playoffs your roster is frozen to 18 players. need more than that for 3 weeks of no transactions. Greg...why not do something NOW for next years first mag to promote the BBDS + adding 2 roster spots for the playoffs.

If GG agrees....we do the GekkoIII league this year using the above format. You and Tom follow the league ALL year from draft to championship and do a nice promotional piece using the league as an example. If you can get Josh involved then you'd have both NFFC champs, which makes for a nice read to newbies.

Let all owners fill out a interview questionaire that exposes strategy behind $$$'s bid on draft slots, players selected and why...etc.....you get the picture. When I first signed up for the inaugeral main event I was nervous as hell. Having never been in a high stakes event I thought these guys were better than they actually are. :D

What really reassured me was an article in the Pro Football mag on the previous years WCOFF winner. I know you do that as well with our event as a promo tool.....so wouldn't it make sense to do this for next year while promoting BBDS satelites. The only way to get really good feedback on BBDS is to talk to those who have done it IMO. Thoughts?

Nag'

Post by Nag' » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:28 pm

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
One more time Nag ... please respond to this part!

14 team leagues will seperate the contenders from the pretenders more than a 12 team league (because it's a harder draft). 12 is harder than 8 ... which is harder than 6 ... my twelve year old neice could draft a good team in a six person league with a good cheet sheet and 15 minutes of instruction and still have a pretty good chance to win. (assuming an average cheat sheet ... maybe 1 in 8 maybe). She could probably still manage to draft a competative team from a cheat sheet in a 8 man league (but I would have to coach her upfront on how to draft backups). In a ten team league I would probably need to add some practice drafts and teach her some drafting concepts ... and even then ... her odds of winning would be about one in 20 or something like that. I doubt she could pull off a 12 man league ... but I am sure she would be dead money in a 14 person league for sure.

It is incramentally harder to draft in larger leagues and skill levels of participants will be more apparent in the larger leagues. I wouldn't get in 6 or 8 team leagues because I think it's just a roll of the dice (luck) to win in them.

It's not that better players draft in 14 team leagues ... it only means your skill level will come more into play in them. First or all, I'm not talking stricty about the draft but rather the overall skill and difficulty of winning a league - any league.

To me, there is a flaw in your general argument. If you believe that 14 team drafts/leagues are harder than 12 or 10 and therfore 10 & 12 teamers are easier than 14, then logic dictates that you MUST believe that it is easier to win 12 & 10 teamers than it is 14. You must also believe that if you play in 14 team leagues, it will be easier for you to play and therefore succeed/win in 12 or 10 teamers.

Do you think it is easier for you to succeed and win 12 & 10 team leagues because you play in 14 teamers?

Btw, I can't comment on 8 & 6 teamers since I never played but I think the logic would probably remain the same.
For Players. By Players.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:48 pm

There would be zero advantage to a 14, 12 or 8 team league.

The chances of winning based on entries...sure...based on an even playing field...but that has nothing to do with the skill level of the drafter...just plain stats of winning based on league size...i.e. odds of winning 1 in 12...or 1 in 14. That has ZERO to do with quality of drafter or diffuculty of competition.

You assume that having a 12 team league...you have a better team post draft...but so do the other 11 teams...unless you wish to add in the "guppie-factor"...of which...the more teams in a league...the higher guppie factor...based on a blank % of guppies to go around.

The only advantage you are infering...is based on bad logic that there would somehow be more guppies in a 12 team league...thus making it easier to dominate???

We are not drawing straws...thus making the odds of winning 1 in 12 or 1 in 14...any other basis for stating a 14 team league is more difficult...or takes a superior drafter...is only based in poor logic implying poor competition.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

TURBOUGH

Post by TURBOUGH » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:55 pm

1. I prefer 12 team leagues but having one 14 team league is a nice option.

2. I would like for you to offer some 12-man satellite leagues. I still say that the NFFC would grow much faster if there were 12 team leagues. I have a couple of friends that will not enter because of 14 teams.

We need to know if you plan on opening any 12 team satellite leagues.

sportsbettingman

Post by sportsbettingman » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:05 pm

To be fair...

I love fantasy leagues with large amounts of teams...(I once played in a college fantasy football league with 20 teams)

I also feel the bigger the bench...the better. (I think I can evaluate talent better than my leaguemates...and have a big advantage if I can stockpile future studs.)

BUT...these advantages are only in my opinion...based on hoping I'm actually better than the league I'm in...but there is no fact or logic here...just hope and the assuming that I'm superior in these qualities.

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver