Planning Ahead For 2012 Classic League

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:59 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Combined Prizes with the Online Championship of $8,400

Is this really appealing to most? Based on your 20-23 league model, around $400. could be added to league prizes for each league; if this was dropped.

How many even play both, and does it make sense to have participants who don't subsidize participants who do?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

Is this really appealing to most? Based on your 20-23 league model, around $400. could be added to league prizes for each league; if this was dropped.

How many even play both, and does it make sense to have participants who don't subsidize participants who do?
[/QUOTE]The prize money for the Combined Standings come half from the Classic and half from the Online Championship as it obviously benefits both contests. And yes, some owners do take out multiple OC teams because of it. This year there were 481 combination of teams in line for this prize and believe it or not the $5,000 first place prize was decided by ONE-TENTH OF A POINT!! John Rundle beat Todd Ullman by one rushing yard for the $5,000 prize.

Does anyone care for the Combined Prizes? If not, I'll gladly redistribute it, but from talks I have with folks who take multiple teams they like it. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:34 am

My one concern here within the league prizes is the difference between 1st and 2nd. Again, if one team wins h2h and total points after Week 13 then that team deserves $6,000 and 2nd place gets $2,500 and a shot at the $100,000 grand prize and additional prize money. That's cool.

If two teams split h2h and total points, would you consider this proposal?

** Both teams get $3,000 and they play in Weeks 14-16 for the additional $2,500 prize and the league title. That way 1st place wins $5,500 and 2nd place gets $3,000. So there is a chance for 2nd place to double their money, but they have to at least win h2h or total points during the regular season.

Thoughts on that proposal? my opinion is let it ride. 6k or 2,500 . it really does not matter much to me either way but let the hot team grab the money.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 am

quote:Originally posted by Quahogs:
Option 2 Greg. More people walk away satisfied. After 8 years I suppose this will never go mainstream w/many preferring 12 teamers. So if it's going to hang around 300 then let's make it so more of us come away with nice payouts. So by Option 2 you are saying:

League Prize:
1st - $6,000
2nd - $2,500
3rd - $1,250

Overall Prizes
1st - $75,000
2nd - $25,000
3rd - $12,500
4th - $5,000
5th - $3,500
6th - $2,500
7th - $2,500
8th - $2,500
9th - $1,500
10th - $1,500

Is that correct?

If so, let's see how many agree with that assessment or if the $100,000 is the bigger lure. Here we have at least a nice increase in the league prize to $6,000 and a chance to win more money in the overall. Hopefully the carrot is still big enough, but let's hear from everyone first.

Thoughts everyone?
[/QUOTE]Remove 9th and 10th and add it to 4th and 5th.

4th - $6500
5th - $5000
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 am

your right nelson. better idea.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:05 am

One more proposal:

Make the Classic 20 man rosters. We used to have that, switch to 19 and now Tom and I are leaning back to 20 players per team. With the early FAAB and other things going on in the NFL, maybe it's time to consolidate our rules and rosters and make both the Classic and Primetime 20-man rosters in 2012 and all years going forward.

Thoughts? Didn't it used to be 18-man rosters, and went to 19- when 3rr was introduced? Could be mistaken...

RiFF

Post by RiFF » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:05 am

quote:Originally posted by RiFF:

[/QUOTE]The prize money for the Combined Standings come half from the Classic and half from the Online Championship as it obviously benefits both contests. And yes, some owners do take out multiple OC teams because of it. This year there were 481 combination of teams in line for this prize and believe it or not the $5,000 first place prize was decided by ONE-TENTH OF A POINT!! John Rundle beat Todd Ullman by one rushing yard for the $5,000 prize.

Does anyone care for the Combined Prizes? If not, I'll gladly redistribute it, but from talks I have with folks who take multiple teams they like it. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
[/QUOTE]I guess I may be in the minority, if I played in the Classic, I still wouldn't play in the online champiuonship so I'd deduct those prizes when calculating the return.....which does make a difference....but maybe I'm the only one doing that. No question it's a nice marketing gimmick if it makes a difference to enough folks.
And obviously, anyone playing in both contests should favor keeping it it because it's being subsidized by players who aren't playing in both.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:12 am

Originally posted by King of Queens:
One more proposal:

Make the Classic 20 man rosters. We used to have that, switch to 19 and now Tom and I are leaning back to 20 players per team. With the early FAAB and other things going on in the NFL, maybe it's time to consolidate our rules and rosters and make both the Classic and Primetime 20-man rosters in 2012 and all years going forward.

Thoughts? Didn't it used to be 18-man rosters, and went to 19- when 3rr was introduced? Could be mistaken...
[/QUOTE]Nope, I just looked it up. In 2004 we started with 20 players in the Classic and later went down to 19. Never 18. Now we're looking at returning to 20 players per Classic team.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:18 am

Rich, less than 1% of revenue goes towards the Classic portion of Combined Prizes and just a little over 1% from the Online Championship goes towards that prize. We increased our payout percentage for the Classic by doing that; we didn't reduce anything from the overall prizes. It's the same with the insurance policies needed for the $75,000 cash prizes. Those are coming out of our take as we see these as good marketing tools to attract more players and more teams. I know you don't figure in that expense as part of our payout percentage, nor should you, but it's something we hope is growing our contest and it's our expense. We feel the same way with the Combined Prizes. But if there's a growing uproar to get rid of Combined Prizes let's hear it.

tommypickles

Post by tommypickles » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:06 am

Administrator
Member # 2

Member Rated:
posted February 09, 2012 03:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by King of Queens:

quote:
One more proposal:

Thoughts?

Didn't it used to be 18-man rosters, and went to 19- when 3rr was introduced? Could be mistaken...

Nope, I just looked it up. In 2004 we started with 20 players in the Classic and later went down to 19. Never 18. Now we're looking at returning to 20 players per Classic team.

--------------------
my first year here 2008 it was 18 it got bumped up to 19 in 2009