Hey Mock Drafters, Where You From? Hammer You Homeless? :)

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:19 pm

The "strategy" is to outscore, outwit and outlast your opponents. In this mock I had the 9 spot, which I think is a very nice slot to have. I went RB-RB-RB not because that is my "strategy", but that was the way to maximize my team given who was taken and who was left. If Moss was available at 2.6, then Randy Moss is on my team. Randy Moss has more "value" than Tiki Barber.

The real question is how do you measure "value". Tom was surprised that increasing QB scoring for TDs did not change the relative value of QBs to RBs. Tom, you should really know better. Randy Moss will outscore most of the RBs taken before him but at some point his "value" is greater than the next RB available. What is that point?

That is where the art (or science) of drafting comes in. Should I take that QB now or wait a round? It's part football and part NL hold'em. That's why so many of the guys like poker. The answer on who to take depends on who everybody else is about to take.

The point of this post is to say there is no such thing as an a priori strategy...not if you want to win. Maybe you can go RB-RB-RB from the 1st slot, but more likely not. The strategy is knowing how to value players across positions at every step of the draft.

Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:05 am

Originally posted by Dyv:
Conceivably it's a case of not wanting to provide strategy to future opponents... I drafted a solid draft and a competitive team with reasonable gambles - but I hope nobody can base my Vegas draft in September on what I did in the mag either ;)

Dave I'm holding you to it. I drafted all of the players I really wanted, including my sleepers. ;)
Is my "weekend warrior" prep better than your prep?

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:33 am

I was reading USA Today's Sports Weekly and I came across an article in the "mailbag" section of the baseball section. It was signed Ken Magner...I wonder if it's the same Ken that drafted 14th in the mockdraft. Ken, was that your article?
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:33 am

I think JerseyPaul makes some very good points about the mock draft. It was good based on that day for players. But so much will happen between now and the real draft you can't really read much into it. What position your drafting from and who has been selected changes from draft to draft.
You have to make decisions on the fly. Lessons learned for everyone is be prepared, have several plans to fall back on and don't count on getting any one player. Well except if you get the number one pick. Than you can count on that one.

wombat

Post by wombat » Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:45 am

Thanks Tom for your overall critiques. Your opinions - both positive and negative - are objective, well respected and always appreciated. One of the positive things of doing this mock draft is things are actually down on paper now, where constructive questions and opinions can be expressed.

I'm sure the 14 of us who drafted all have questions about how many right and wrong moves we made. I think it would be helpful if some opinions could be thrown out. I don't think anyone would be tipping their hand with this kind of discussion in early July.

I know I have some questions about my team and would appreciate anyone's opinion on any of these questions. In return I would be happy to lend an opinion on your team if asked.

In my case I have four questions:

Is Rudi Johnson a legitimate first rounder?

Was Thomas Jones a reach in the third round?

Does Eric Moulds deserve to be considered a No. 1 wide receiver anymore?

Was Boo Williams a reach in the 10th round?

Thanks for any feedback.

hammer

Post by hammer » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:06 am

The hammer homeless? Listen, just because a guy skips his mortgage payment to enter a high-stakes fantasy contest... uh, nevermind:

Matt Bayley

Frederick, Maryland

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:18 am

Is Rudi Johnson a legitimate first rounder? possibly

Was Thomas Jones a reach in the third round? never too early to take a RB

Does Eric Moulds deserve to be considered a No. 1 wide receiver anymore? sure, unless you can get someone better

Was Boo Williams a reach in the 10th round? no

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:26 pm

We won't really know who drafted best until the season plays through. An owner in another league of mine drafted Terell Davis first overall about 2 or 3 years ago, even though Davis missed most of the previous season with a knee injury. This owner was mocked throughout the draft. Terell Davis played 2 games and was out for the year again, and hasn't played since. You'd think he'd be the butt of all Fantasy drafts but that owner won the superbowl anyway...You never know.

[ July 03, 2004, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Diesel ]
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Sack

Post by Sack » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:12 pm

Diesel.......Guilty as charged in the Baseball Weekly. The City/State was incorrect in the article as a chuckle to a friend of mine from Greencreek. TOM........thanks for the review, it made for a good read. Nice job guys

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:44 am

Originally posted by hammer:
The hammer homeless? Listen, just because a guy skips his mortgage payment to enter a high-stakes fantasy contest... uh, nevermind:

Matt Bayley

Frederick, Maryland Thanks Hammer. Much appreciated.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich