Idea to stop deadbeat owners

kentucky

Post by kentucky » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:56 am

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck trying to resolve this problem. I like the system as is. We have options as to how to get to the final 3 weeks. H2H or points.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm mistaken, but didn't the J-E-T-S lay an egg in week 17 last year and allow the SB Champ Packers into the playoffs as a wildcard? Are they going to change the playoff system in the NFL to forget about week 17? I don't think. So don't they have the same situation as we? Yep.

Great forum, but as Marc "Diesel" Q. said, this question occurs every year, and it's going to repeat itself next year.

Just keep copying and pasting Marc.
bill cleavenger
"BIG BLUE NATION" ... We don't rebuild, we reload!!!

Getpaddled

Post by Getpaddled » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:58 am

-The extra cash on the side is not going to fly with the avg owner. I can see how it would hurt the business more then help it.

Most Fantasy Football players are either all or part stat heads. We need some type of leader board for all time wins, all time points, ppg/12 team pp/14 team, playoff appearances etc.... When the games don't mater because of a bad season at least you have a "Ladder" of fantasy football mangers to clime up.

Do you have any idea how attractive a Leader board would be, I know there is a "Career Earnings Leaders" but I would recommend expanding into more categories.
Greg Dietzler AKA Letter Pusher
Fantasy Football Genius & FPA supporter
Twitter: @Getpaddled

renman

Post by renman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 am

Sandman,

Could not agree more. I am quite certain many of those who quit on a their team and league are skilled players and are not "dead money." We can look at the bottom of the standings now across the NFFC landscape and see well known fantasy players with a track record of success who are dead this year. They are not "dead money."

What amazes me most about this subject is how some people literally with fight, aggressively, to make sure NO DISCUSSION on this topic ever happens.

All I have asked for (though I did not start the thread) is DISCUSSION among expert level fantasy football minds and it seems to bother people.

Sandman, maybe the $100 deposit could be turned into part of a pre payment for the following years NFFC teams along with some minor promotion or incentive. This gives players a reason to not bail on their team and league. It gives the NFFC a little way to kick start signups for the following year. It also gives players a little discount or promotion for the following season.

renman

Post by renman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 am

Flex,

Your example would be better if in week 17 NFL teams started 9 of their 11 offensive players and made no effort to play, compete or win. Sitting some stars isn't the same as what happens in fantasy football when a team quits. We have all seen hungry backups come in and play well when given the chance in real games.

The bigger and better question is this. Why would you be against simply discussing ways to improve on this issue/problem?

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Flex,

Your example would be better if in week 17 NFL teams started 9 of their 11 offensive players and made no effort to play, compete or win. Sitting some stars isn't the same as what happens in fantasy football when a team quits. We have all seen hungry backups come in and play well when given the chance in real games.

The bigger and better question is this. Why would you be against simply discussing ways to improve on this issue/problem? Mostly because I don't think it needs to be improved and I know it will never be improved. See Diesel's post.

renman

Post by renman » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:41 am

felix,

You missed the point of my question. Why would YOU be against others simply discussing ways to improve on this issue/problem?

If you are not interested in the topic, you easily could avoid the topic. I am wondering why you (and you are not alone) seem to be bothered by others who may want to discuss ways to improve it.

abruski17

Post by abruski17 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Good to see this is getting discussion.

I think you could even lower the deposit to $25 or $50 and there would be less quitting.

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Guys the "deposit" idea isn't going to happen as all it creates is another headache for the NFFC to deal with. However having the IT dept do some programming to eliminate bye week and IR starts will cost them NOTHING, once the change is made. Much like the instant replay, it's not a "cure all" but it makes the game better. Not sure how anyone could argue with it.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 pm

So it's clear, I really meant, "Good luck trying to resolve this"...

I enjoy reading the posts here on the messageboards. My thoughts posted here weren't intended to make everyone stop talking about how to fix this problem. My thoughts were posted because I have a lengthy history in running fantasy leagues and this was one topic that I have spent a lot of time with. Many people have brought up many different options and in the 20+ years of playing fantasy football, my opinion is that there is no way on God's green earth that you can stop this from happening.

I'm not being aggressive or putting any fight into my words. Its just my opinion. I can't help it if I'm always right. * (Being sarcastic and funny, in good fun)

James, you've met me...I'm not being a pain in the a$$. I'm just giving my opinion, even though it's a negative one.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

renman

Post by renman » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:16 am

Diesel,

I didn't think you were being a pain in the ass...lol Even if you were, you are a cool guy and I would probably find it funny. I don't even disagree with your opinion nor do I see it as negative. I think you (and Thunder) are just being realists. You are right in that this problem will never be totally solved (unless a remedy comes that I haven't yet seen).

I would respectfully disagree with anyone who says "this isn't a problem" or this should be an "acceptable" part of the game. I simply think it is a worthy topic to discuss. I too have been around fantasy football for long time (started in 1990 in college). I have run leagues, I know about these challenges. In home leagues these things can be policed easier. In national contests like this where legal issues are involved and tons of anonymous players are competing the challenge is different.

All I am saying (and have said the same thing on this forum since about 2006) is the topic is worth discussing among expert level fantasy football minds. While I have yet to see anything that FIXES the problem, I certainly have seen ideas that could improve on it. Maybe there are better ideas yet to be seen?

We wont know unless they get discussed.