DoubleG

Idea to stop deadbeat owners

Post by DoubleG » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:26 am

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 am

Originally posted by Renman:
Double G,

It is an interesting, worthy topic to discuss. I recognize we are getting to that point in the fantasy season where many owners, often frustrated with their results, get a little punch drunk and it shows on the message board. It happens every year. James,

Smoking is bad for you. Yet people do it anyway. There is no changing that. .

Bailing is bad for the league. Yet people do it anyway. There is no changing that.

renman

Post by renman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:54 am

Quahogs,

I agree bailing on a league is bad (you may want to let Flex know you feel that way). I agree people do it anyway. I agree there is likely no way to change that it will happen.

However, I think it is WORTH DISCUSSING creative things we can do to lessen this problem even if it cannot be eliminated totally. Before I got attacked for daring to want to discuss this and before GG started with the mocking, some good ideas were bounced around.

Is that a bad thing?

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:07 am

Quahogs,

I agree bailing on a league is bad (you may want to let Flex know you feel that way). I agree people do it anyway. I agree there is likely no way to change that it will happen.

However, I think it is WORTH DISCUSSING creative things we can do to lessen this problem even if it cannot be eliminated totally. Before I got attacked for daring to want to discuss this and before GG started with the mocking, some good ideas were bounced around.

Is that a bad thing? James, you can discuss whatever you want obviously.

But it is a fruitless venture. Other than vigilantist peer pressure there is nothing that can be implemented.

I don't think GG is mocking per se... :D It's just funny stuff. You are relentless James and it lends itself to ... some humorous exchanges ... :D

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:15 am

(I have typed it about 6 times) Rainman always repeatedly himself, too.

Wait...Renman...Rainman...Hey!

DoubleG

Post by DoubleG » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:16 am

Is that a bad thing? James,
Two observations...
1. People don't want to "discuss" with you because of the way your posts come off.
2. Your posts come off like an

Again, this is an observation I made. You were like this a few years ago and people were ready to quit the boards because of the way your posts come off. Please call Greg if you need confirmation.

My advice would be to think longer about the words you want to post.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am

on a more serious note steve ...koq , you and myself are going to visit diesel in a few weeks at the hospital when he has the baby. you bring the cigars and i will bring the scotch. we will already be at the hospital so glenn will be safe.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:26 am

OK folks, I guess it's time for us to step in here. This is a worthy topic of debate but unfortunately as we've talked about every other time this has come up there is no fool-proof way to handle this. Greg and I do not want to put the NFFC (or NFBC for that matter) in the position of running any team, setting lineups etc. That is not our responsibility. It is up to each individual owner to decide for themselves how they want to run their team. Once they pay the entry fee, it's their team for good or bad.

One would obviously hope that all owners would remain competitive - especially in the national events where consolation prizes are available. That's one of the reasons we offer them. And as has been pointed out many times, the fact that total points play a key role in who makes the playoffs is another incentive for people to keep battling even if their won-loss record isn't what they would hope.

It stinks when owners quit. I think we all agree with that. However, there could be a myriad of reasons why an owner set his lineup (or didn't set it) on any given week. Putting us in charge of deciding how best to run their team or who should be starting is not something Greg or I believe should be the case. Again, we prefer to remain hands off when it comes to how each league is decided. There's no question in my mind that's the best approach for us to take.

James, to address your idea about having an announcement made or a statement signed with all due respect I don't believe that will accomplish the goal you seek. I don't believe anyone begins the season with the idea of doing anything other than trying their best. It's only after the season has commenced and things go a certain way that some people may choose to bail. But on Draft Day (or before), I believe everyone enters the competition with the intent of competing to the highest degree.

I'm not going to lock this thread for now but I don't believe there's anything more to add to it at the present time. Once the season is over we can certainly revisit this as well as everything about our event to get ideas from all of you as to how we can improve things. But for now, let's move on. Sound good?

[ November 10, 2011, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Tom Kessenich ]
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

joetreff

Post by joetreff » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:39 am

Have a feeling there is a therapist somewhere hearing about deadbeat teams as we speak...

Fro

Post by Fro » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:42 am

Incentive seems the only way to keep potential dead beat teams active.

MFL has a stats called Points For, Possible Points, and Efficiency.

If STATS has access to information, you could offer some kind of prize for the the most accurate team with a baseline qualifying point total that is a realistic total points target.