Deuce McAllister Out For The Year

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:50 am

Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
Yes, UYT, I drafted McAllister and then got his handcuff later so I don't feel any drop-off from this loss. You on the other hand are a Carson Palmer injury away from having no qbs for the rest of the season. Sorry, I don't consider Alex Smith a qb yet. :D :D Yep ... Do you remember Kitna being drafted out from under us? Someone drafted our backup and didn't draft Maddox or Detmer his backups to Roethlisberger and McNabb ... who went undrafted?) ... go figure ... wouldn't you draft your backup to your top three QB ... before you draft someone else's backup who ranks in the middle?

Last year we went 8 weeks without a QB (because we lost 2 deep on our QB's in TB)... hopefully Fiedler get's his job back when he returns week 9?

Big Mike
Hakuna Matata!

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:01 am

Originally posted by Ugly Yellow Tomatoes:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TamuScarecrow:
[qb] hopefully Fiedler get's his job back when he returns week 9?I have a better chance of Deuce's injury being a sick and twisted Columbus Day joke than Fiedler getting his starting job back from Vinny! ;)

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:31 am

Originally posted by Rodsay12:
UYT, Draft champions is a different game. In the main event, one can't draft all their back ups, but I agree you should "backup" your first rounders. In NY8, no team has ASmith or AStecker, I wouldn't have a problem with the team w/ McAllister getting some sort of "FA injury relief." Again, I believe it would help competitive balance. That being said, I know it's much easier for all with closed minds and short sightedness to say, "that's the breaks." Does it make you feel better to sling insults at people who you think disagree with you ... Are you aware the technique (of trying to degrade the other person to make their point of view look bad) doesn't help you make your point when you are talking to adults? Rather ... it shows you need to rely on aggressive behavior ... rather than intelligence ... to make your point. I also don't remember anyone writing "that's the breaks" ... do you hear things too?

With that said. Adding $300 dollars doesn't assure balance ... it just makes balance a little bit more likely. The rules on what you could and couldn't buy would also be impossible to police. I lose a WR ... you lose a RB ... I get my 300 bucks and use my other 1000 to buy your RB.

If you want more balance ... How about a deeper draft ... go 25 or 30 rounds and get your backups. If you still worried ... make a rule that you need to warn a guy on his pick that you intend to pick his backup RB or QB on your next pick ... if he doesn't ... it's his lose. Then everyone would have a shot at their backups without having to guess when to pick them up ... and you would have no excuse for not having them?

By the way ... in the last NFFC draft I was in ... I drafted J Jones (and A Train), Fred Taylor (and Toefield), and S Jackson ... I decided I could get 2 handcuffs and Faulk was too pricey! If you get two RB's in the first three rounds ... you should have both their backups IMHO. Is Kevin Faulk really the answer over Toefield if you have Taylor?

Big "Open Minded" Mike :D :D
Hakuna Matata!

rsaylor

Post by rsaylor » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:46 am

Big "Open Minded" Mike,
The "closed mind, short sighted" comments were not directed at you. If you read my thread under Rules Discussion, you'll understand my comments.

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:51 am

What about RICKY going back to the "Big Easy"?

Stranger things have happened.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

Route Collectors

Post by Route Collectors » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:11 pm

I think all Duece owners, and anybody who loses a first round draft pick for the year, should be given extra FA money. This "extra" money should be for use ONLY on a player from the same position AND team as the injured player. For instance, say you get $300 for losing Deuce, this money would be used to bid on ASmith or AStecker ONLY. BTW, I do not own McAllister, I just think it would help competitive balance. Let me start out by saying injuries suck for everyone that plays this game. It takes all the fun out of it if you can't be competitive.

That being said, I don't like this idea because most owners who draft their backups have to give something up in order to do it. Maybe they gave up a shot at one of this years surprises -Terry Glenn etc...

I don't like the idea of charity for charities sake. Every year some owners are going to have bad seasons for any number of reasons, injuries included. Yeah it sucks, but only a few will really enjoy great success anyway. :(

TOM ROSSI

Post by TOM ROSSI » Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:29 pm

Injuries to first round players are always hard to overcome especially at the RB position, I think that teams should have the option to start a run and shoot lineup with only 1 RB required. This would at least give teams suffering injuries to irreplaceable players an option to start/pickup another WR who could potentially score double digits as opposed to being forced to start a GL back/or fullback type RB. I think it softens the blow somewhat to losing your Stud RB.

Depth at RB in 14 team leagues will always be a problem considering the way they fly off the board in the first couple of rounds and it’s much easier to replace a player at the WR position than at RB.

I don’t own McAllister this year, but I did last year. It is tough to recover from that unless you are one of the few fortunate teams to have 3 starting caliber RB’s

I think there was some discussion on this topic last year, but I’m not 100% sure.

….of course this is just my 2 cents

JerseyPaul

Post by JerseyPaul » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:59 pm

My lineup in an online $200 game:

Deuce McCallister
Tom Jones (stretched ligament, out at least a week)
Brandon Lloyd (suffering from Alex Smith disease)
Darryl Jackson
Joe Horn

As you can see, this was a very, very good team. As we speak, I'm still in the playoffs but I'm going to need some WW help and some quick healing by Jones, Horn and DJax.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:20 pm

Big "Open Minded" Mike,
The "closed mind, short sighted" comments were not directed at you. If you read my thread under Rules Discussion, you'll understand my comments. I wasn't following all the threads ... I assumed it was directed at me since my name was in the front of your post ... bad assumption on my part ... I guess. I agree with the post ... that you need to give up something to get your backups ... I know I did. If I give something up to get them ... it's hard to see someone else rewarded for not getting their's.

... although I do like my new nickname ;)

Big "Open Minded" Mike :D :D
Hakuna Matata!

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:22 pm

Originally posted by Route C:
quote:Originally posted by Rodsay12:
I think all Duece owners, and anybody who loses a first round draft pick for the year, should be given extra FA money. This "extra" money should be for use ONLY on a player from the same position AND team as the injured player. For instance, say you get $300 for losing Deuce, this money would be used to bid on ASmith or AStecker ONLY. BTW, I do not own McAllister, I just think it would help competitive balance. Let me start out by saying injuries suck for everyone that plays this game. It takes all the fun out of it if you can't be competitive.

That being said, I don't like this idea because most owners who draft their backups have to give something up in order to do it. Maybe they gave up a shot at one of this years surprises -Terry Glenn etc...

I don't like the idea of charity for charities sake. Every year some owners are going to have bad seasons for any number of reasons, injuries included. Yeah it sucks, but only a few will really enjoy great success anyway. :(
[/QUOTE]Jeff (RC's) quote that I agreed with in my previous post.
Hakuna Matata!