Player First Downs & KFFL Scoring

KWRegan

Post by KWRegan » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:35 pm

The KFFL scoring system strikes me as an evolution of the following thinking:

() Trad. scoring undervalues WRs.
() Point-per-reception overvalues RBs who catch a lot of short passes, and undervalues RBs who don't.
() Hence have PPR for WR/TE but only 1/2 ppr for RBs.

This system IMO[bservations] produces a really nice statistical balance between RBs and WRs. E.g. after 24-28 RBs and 36-42 WRs starting in a 12 or 14 team league, "Flex" seems a pretty even RB vs. WR choice. But it is odd to count differently for the same act on the field---a WR TD catch is 7 pts., but an RB TD catch is 6.5, not to mention the poor ground soldier getting only 6. Has anyone considered a *really natural* extension of trad. scoring that achieves a similar stat balance and gives armchair coaches something else to cheer for?---:

Instead of PPR, give 1 point per *First Down* made by a player.

Since most WR catches are for first downs, this is like PPR for WRs. Since half the RB catches aren't, it's like half-PPR for them. RBs who may not catch passes but grind the chains on the ground get a lift. And now all TDs count 7 pts. besides the yardage---i.e. they all get an "extra point".

The rub, however, is that /Player First Downs are not an official NFL stat/, so stat services don't provide it. (Do any?) Only team first downs are an official stat.

But gee guys, aside from scoring, first downs are THE OBJECT OF THE GAME. Why shouldn't that count in fantasy? If McGahee is diving for the marker, I want the extra thrill if he makes it, and 0.1 points for the extra yard is not a thrill. Maybe not $1,250 :), but I would pay for the fun of a PFD scoring system!

TamuScarecrow

Post by TamuScarecrow » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:08 am

Never seen a stat for this although you hear about it from time to time on broadcasts. How about points for every time someone proposes to a cheeerleader? It would make the game more exciting and we'd get to see more of the cheerleaders. How about extra points for defensive stops on 3rd and 1 or for goal-line stands? That is also the OBJECT OF THE GAME. Lots of things make the game more exciting but I believe there is such a thing as too many stats.
2005 NY/CHI League Champ
2006 CHI#2 3rd Place
2006 Auction Reg Season Champ
2007 TAM#2 2nd Place
2007 Auction Reg Season Champ
2009 LV#5 League Champ
2010 Auction Reg Season Champ
2011 LV#3 2nd Place
2012 LV Classic League Champ

KWRegan

Post by KWRegan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:49 am

Your "object of the game" is just the inverse of what I said, about the same object. If the D stopped your opponent's guy from getting a point, you'd cheer just as much.

My point is that getting a first down is distinctive, not in the same class as chuffing with a cheerleader :). If anything the fact that your examples amount to the same (goal-line stand too) supports that.

And my extra-point is that rather than *adding* a stat, it *replaces* a stat (PPR) which in the NFFC has become 2 stats with an artificial distinction.

(Plus I meant to say "NFFC scoring system" not "KFFL" in the post title, sorry for any trademark confusion there.)

KWRegan

Post by KWRegan » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:54 am

FoxSports provides free leagues with the player first-down scoring option! I just happened to catch this fact mentioned in a review of free providers at Fantasy Football Cafe',

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2006 ... g_host.php

I have set up a free league with exactly the modification of NFFC scoring that I described. All who see this are welcome:

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/football/
After registering at FoxSports (free), click Join a League, then Join a Private League

League ID#: 93496
Password: firstdown

Live Draft: Tue. Sep 5, 9:30pm ET, 90 sec. per pick, roster size = 18.

The league name is currently "First Down Scoring" to attract attention should I (need to) convert it to public to fill; later I may change it to "Move the Chains". Max is 14 teams, playoff weeks 14-16, 6 make it with top 2 getting byes. Come join and play like no one has ever played before!

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:14 am

_____ KWRegan ______ DID YOU work at being an Idiot or DID it just come natural..?? First of all....These Guys welcome you into their league....and you want to BITCH about their settings. If You don't like the rules go somewhere else, or at least put forth your suggestions with some Tact. Second.... Why would Players that are in it for $$$, get excited about playing in Your Free Yahoo fantasy League.....That's like Peyton Manning, jumping at the chance to play in the CFL......Get a BRAIN..!!
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

KWRegan

Post by KWRegan » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:10 pm

I created such a league over at FoxSports---PFDs in place of modified-PPR, all the rest as in NFFC except that Fox doesn't give enough ranges to configure NFFC's kickoff rule.

This gave me my first look at stats from 2005 that include player first-downs. Gad, LJ had 107 rush/rec. first downs in his limited playing, second only to Shaun Alexander with 110! More to the point, compared to traditional scoring, PFDs actually help RBs a bit more than WRs. In 10, 12, or 14-team leagues with 2 RBs + 3WRs + flex, the stats put the median RB3 choice for flex about 20-30 points yearly better than the median WR4. But one more meaningful tweak gives the balance I sought pretty nicely:

Charge RBs -1/10 pt. for each rushing attempt.

I submit this as my entry for The Perfect Scoring System.

Alas, Fox doesn't allow fractions in option boxes even in leagues with fractional points, and I didn't feel like multiplying everything else by 10, so I left my league as-above.

D-Day, I'm addressing Ambrosius & Co., not NFFC players---and these are public boards, I'm not in the NFFC. After my Giants D breaks up the Brotherly Love, Peyton will WISH he played in the CFL!!

DIESEL02

Post by DIESEL02 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:02 pm

Don't forget to add points for every defensive stop of a first down to even the playing field for the defenses also.....it could attract more owners
"Fortis fortuna adiuvat"-"Fortune favors the brave"