Great League Format

freddiezee

Great League Format

Post by freddiezee » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:44 am

I am going in my first NFFC league this year. Done lots of leagues before. I wanted to tell you guys about a league I play in, in my home town. It has the best format of any league I have ever gone in. I thought some of you fantasy nuts may want to read this and try it sometime.

The amount of teams varies from year to year, usually about 12 or 13. The scoring system is pretty standard and isn't really the point of what makes the league good. The starting lineups are the same as the NFFC, as are the roster totals. We actually use team QB's, but that not the important part. All of these things could be manipulated and it would still be awesome because.....
it goes all the way to the Super Bowl!

We obviously use total points earned instead of weekly head to head. You field a starting lineup every week, including all the playoff weeks. Here's why it is more fun:

1. It is longer, and for those of us who can't get enough fantasy football, that is a good thing.
2. You have a great chance to come back late in the season if you have a lot of good playoff players.
3. It gets you a little closer to going back to cheering for teams instead of players. Late last season I wanted the Steelers to win, so that they could make the playoffs because I had Ward. I only partially cared how many points he got each week, because if they kept playing I knew the points would come eventually.
4. It makes you try to predict which teams will be good this season and not just players. If you can grab some players from your sleeper playoff team and you are right, you can get the benefits at the end of the season.
5. The playoff weeks don't actually make a huge difference but they do separate similar teams. I've never seen someone go up more than about 3 spots during the playoffs, but it can be the deciding league factor. The regular season is still the deciding factor for most of the teams.
6. It makes draft and trade decisions tricky.
You would usually rather have Tomlinson than Barber, but what if you think the Giants will go to the Super Bowl so you will get 3 extra games from Barber. What about Fitzgerald vs Wayne? Eli Manning vs Delhomme? If you are confident in your ability to predict playoff teams you can go for it. If you don't think you can predict then you can just take the best player and hope for the best. Similar tough calls come in trades during the season. Halfway through the year when half the teams are 3-5, 4-4 or 5-3, picking out the right playoff teams and trading for their guys is a great strategy.

Anyways, I know you are all booked into your leagues for this season, but keep this idea in mind and try it out with a good group of guys next year. If you have any comments or questions about the league just leave them here.

TradeStar28

Great League Format

Post by TradeStar28 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:10 pm

Personally, this is not for me.

In fact, I hate it.
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

sportsbettingman

Great League Format

Post by sportsbettingman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:09 pm

I liked it.

But...Fisher...I do not laugh out loud often...but the subtle/sweet yet blunt/brutal response was very funny to me...LOL!!!!

~Lance
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver

D-Day Heroes

Great League Format

Post by D-Day Heroes » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:34 am

Just a Suggestion...Probably not the Best Etiquette, to solicit your league on some one else's league board with out their blessing - First. Just something to think about, Before Pimping your league next time.
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

freddiezee

Great League Format

Post by freddiezee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:25 am

I wasn't planning on pimping my league. We aren't looking for members or anything. We're just a bunch of guys in a small town in Canada. It's just an idea I thought some guys might like to hear about. I love the NFFC and I am going in it, but I go in more than one league (like just about everyone here) and it's more fun to have different formats than to do the same thing in all leagues you are in. If you don't like the idea, sorry for wasting your time, but I KNOW that it is a fun format to add some variety to fantasy football season.

BillyWaz

Great League Format

Post by BillyWaz » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:29 am

Originally posted by freddiezee:
We're just a bunch of guys in a small town in Canada. Shouldn't you be playing fantasy hockey or something?

freddiezee

Great League Format

Post by freddiezee » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:43 am

I do that too.....if you don't play in at least 3 hockey pools then you lose your citizenship.

TradeStar28

Great League Format

Post by TradeStar28 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:05 pm

Originally posted by freddiezee:
I wasn't planning on pimping my league. We aren't looking for members or anything. We're just a bunch of guys in a small town in Canada. It's just an idea I thought some guys might like to hear about. I love the NFFC and I am going in it, but I go in more than one league (like just about everyone here) and it's more fun to have different formats than to do the same thing in all leagues you are in. If you don't like the idea, sorry for wasting your time, but I KNOW that it is a fun format to add some variety to fantasy football season. Fred,

I was just clowning around with my response to u. We have been watching too much Rockstar Supernova here and was just throwing out a "Dave Navarro" type response to your post.

The league format you have has a high level of difficulty. Its hard enough to figure out the RBBC situations in the NFL, and then trying to handicap the sport as well. Sounds to me like a fantasy football league with a college hoops tourney twist. best of luck to u this year with it.

BTW, I am a diehard hockey fan first & foremost....I actually have some good buddies who play for your Maple Leafs team.

Ofcourse, I am a NYR fan.

:D
2012 - FI$HER - Flying High Again

sportsbettingman

Great League Format

Post by sportsbettingman » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:56 pm

I re-read Fisher's 1st response and am laughing out loud once again!!!'

~Lance (unreal...funny!)
"The first man what makes a move can count amongst 'is treasure a ball from this pistol."

~Long John Silver