Overvalued Players

WCutting

Overvalued Players

Post by WCutting » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:38 am

I admit, I’m a sucker for buying fantasy magazines, especially ones that have nice covers. Sometime I get burned and the magazine stinks, but I think I found a fine one this year. It’s called Footballguys. It offers a lot of opinions on players and some stuff I never thought about.

One thing I found enjoyable is a section called “Overvalued Players”. Twenty fantasy writers vote on who they think will be the most overvalued players. Kewl, don’t ya think?

Their most overvalued player was Ted Ginn. He received 14 votes. Others at the top of their list include Kellen winslow (13 votes), Vince Young (12 votes), Chester Taylor (9 votes), Robbie Gould (9 votes), Maques Colston (7 votes), Michael Turner (7 votes), Calvin Johnson (6 votes), and Vernon Davis (6 votes).

While I don’t agree with some of their nominations, it did raise my awareness on a couple of players. For one, I think Vince Young will be dynamite this year. Anyone who watched him last year saw that he is lightning in a bottle. With another year to learn the playbook and become accustomed to the talent around him, he should be very good this year.

What does everyone else think about their list of overvalued players?

Captain Hook

Overvalued Players

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:28 am

WHAT talent around him?

BillyWaz

Overvalued Players

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:44 am

Originally posted by Captain Hook:
WHAT talent around him? hehehehehe! :D

Diesel

Overvalued Players

Post by Diesel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:47 am

WCutting, IMHO, I think Young is going to go through some rough times this year. He's going to have his rushing yards. He's going to have a few rushing TD's. But defenses have had a chance to cehck him out for a full year now, and the person on the Titans 2007, with the most catcehs from last year is Bo Scaife(29 catches). Not a great outlook, in my opinion.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

Diesel

Overvalued Players

Post by Diesel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:51 am

I think Colston being over-rated, is a bad call. What did he do(or not do) last year , to make anyone think he is going to slow down in 2007?

RiFF

Overvalued Players

Post by RiFF » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:41 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
I think Colston being over-rated, is a bad call. What did he do(or not do) last year , to make anyone think he is going to slow down in 2007? Michael who.....Clayton?? :eek:

Looking at your list and understanding it was probably compiled a couple months ago, I really don't see anyone on it that is terribly overvalued from a FF perspective; in relationship to where I see them being drafted. For instance, in a couple early drafts I participated in your #1 overvalued guy, Ted Ginn, got drafted in the 18th round in a DC draft after such WR luminaries as M Floyd. In an 18 player draft he was drafted in the 17th round after such WR powerhouses like Tab Perry and Craig Davis. So, from a FF perspective I don't see him being overvalued, at least not by NFFC drafters. I could pretty much make the same case for most of the players on your (Football Guys) list. But, maybe this isn't a fair analysis because its NFFC drafters and not CBS or Yahoo drafters. OR, maybe all the NFFC drafters received their Football Guys magazine and heeded their advice. :D
Of course understanding the list is the compilation of 20 Football Writers and NOT 20 FF Players, pretty much gives you an indidcation of its usefulness. (Granny says the Sears catalog is about used up, where's that Football Guys magazine!! :eek: )

WCutting

Overvalued Players

Post by WCutting » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:47 am

You're right Young doesn't have a lot of top talent around him. But I think he will make the existing talent better than what it would be with say like Kerry Collins as QB.

Diesel

Overvalued Players

Post by Diesel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:03 am

Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:
I think Colston being over-rated, is a bad call. What did he do(or not do) last year , to make anyone think he is going to slow down in 2007? Michael who.....Clayton?? :eek:

[/QUOTE]You think Colston is another Michael Clayton? WOW. I hope there are a LOT more of you on draft day.

Diesel

Overvalued Players

Post by Diesel » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:07 am

Originally posted by WCutting:
You're right Young doesn't have a lot of top talent around him. But I think he will make the existing talent better than what it would be with say like Kerry Collins as QB. There's no doubt that Young has talent. But will he put up Vick's numbers? Even if he does, I have never owned Vick, and until I see Young effeciently pass the ball for a full season, I'll never own Young. STEVE Young, however, was the perfect mix of a run and pass QB. Now if were Steve Young we were talking about, I'd take him in a split second...lol

RiFF

Overvalued Players

Post by RiFF » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:15 am

Originally posted by Diesel:
quote:Originally posted by RiFF:
quote:Originally posted by Diesel:

[/QUOTE]You think Colston is another Michael Clayton? WOW. I hope there are a LOT more of you on draft day.
[/QUOTE]As I said in the body of my posting, I personally don't believe ANY of the players that were listed are being overvalued in current NFFC drafts, including Colston. I was merely pointing out a possible "niggling" in a Writer's, or even Player's, mind about Colston's sophmore year. And there are a number of "proven" Wr's being drafted after Colston such as D Driver. Do I believe Colston will be a #1 WR, (top 14) this year...no. But I do believe he will be a very strong #2. I would be perfectly content for you to take Colston and leave Driver for me.