Year of the Wide Reciever!

Robert Edwards

Post by Robert Edwards » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:22 am

It is early, but I have not seen so far any real reason to go overboad on WR talent. Just like in prior years there is a lot of talent spread deep even in a three-WR, PPR league. In week one, 21 guys at the WR position scored TD's with no one player scoring two. And many of those were FA or bench material (Henderson, Manningham, Stokley, Stuckey, Murphy, Miles, Clayton, Crayton, Havin, Gage). Thirteen WR got 90+ Yards with a couple either FA or bench. Fourty-two different WR got at least 4+ receptions. Again, pretty deep so far.

Maybe it is the "Year of the Tight End" (after all, all you need is one). Eleven different TE scored 14 TD's total for the position. Three had 90+ yards recieved and 20 had 4+ receptions. One guy in my league took Witten and Gates in the third and fourth rounds, so we will see how that works for him (though his first WR was Bryant!).

Running backs may still prove out to rule the roost. Seven had recieving touchdowns to go with the rushing TDs (22). Two even doubled up (one recieving TD and one rushing TD). Seventeen RB's even had 4+ receptions. BTW, is Hightower a RB or a WR? Couldn't prove it last week. I think the position is scarcer and the necessity to lock up a couple of good ones still greater, even in a PPR league, than to lean too heavily on top flight WR talent, and fill in with second and third tier RB.

Like I said, it is early and only time will tell. By the way, I lucked into a win this week by a whopping 1.4 points. Anyone have a closer shave?

[ September 15, 2009, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Phat Bustards ]
Wayne Edwards

The "other" Wayne

botherk

Post by botherk » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:09 am

I finished 6th out of 12 in the online league.
It brought back fond memories of seeing a D- on a test, rather than an F.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz