When your QB meets your D

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 am

:eek:
Well Guys I pretty much know which way i'm going to go with this , I figure I'll let them battle it out and hope they both come through. It Happens to be the Ravens and Rivers.

But I thought it might make for interesting dialog.

Anyone want to share thier philosophy on this dilema ?
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:56 am

One thing to remember is your quarterback doesn't know he's your quarterback and facing your defense, you know?

Seriously, I start my best guys, period. I do not waver from that approach because at the end of the day, your top guys are the ones who stand the best chance of giving you the production you need. You drafted these players for a reason. If you have two players of comparable talent, then let the matchup decide. But if the choice is Rivers against the Ravens or David Garrard against the Cardinals, I'm taking Rivers no matter how difficult the matchup may be. The chances that Rivers produces at a high level are much greater than Garrard because Garrard rarely produces at a high level. Sure, he could luck into a great performance this week or any random week but the percentage play is the guy who routinely delivers big-time production. And in this case, that's Philip Rivers.

Also, don't forget that a good offense meeting a good defense doesn't automatically mean the matchup favors the defense. I've always been baffled by how people are so quick to favor the defense in this type of matchup. The Chargers - even with a hobbling LT - have enough talent to move the ball and score on anybody. Sure, it's going to be a tough test this week but it's not like the Chargers are the Browns and bereft of talent. So keep that in mind as well.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:09 am

Rivers stats Sunday vs. Ravens

317 yards and 3 scores.

John

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:13 am

Thanks Tom , and i agree with that philosophy whole heartedly.

Now what about on the other end , If I have a choice between starting the ravens or say the cardinals , should i play the cards since im rooting for Rivers or still stick with the same logic and go with my best defence ? some say you have to pic one or the other but can't your defence still put up numbers with take aways and td returns while your Qb still puts up Tds ? its really the D i'm having qaulms with.
" When you are in any contest you should work as if there were - to the very last minute - a chance to lose it. "
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:18 am

Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
Thanks Tom , and i agree with that philosophy whole heartedly.

Now what about on the other end , If I have a choice between starting the ravens or say the cardinals , should i play the cards since im rooting for Rivers or still stick with the same logic and go with my best defence ? some say you have to pic one or the other but can't your defence still put up numbers with take aways and td returns while your Qb still puts up Tds ? its really the D i'm having qaulms with. Please re-read Tom's post above. :D

Good Luck,

John

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:36 am

John I just reread it , and Tom did address the qb issue :
"One thing to remember is your quarterback doesn't know he's your quarterback and facing your defense, you know? "
Get that.
But if thats the case why not just start another Defense ? If like you think Rivers is going for 300 and 3 , then we know baltimore is not going to get any points for holding them under 17, which leaves only turn overs and returns. so why not throw up another D and hope they hold for under 17 + TO and returns ?

I get what your point is Raider man , he said just go with your best regardless , just want to make sure you understand it just wasen't the QB i was concerend with starting but the D also
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:50 am

I would start another defense if I believed that defense was better than Baltimore's. I'm not sure there are many defenses which fit that description, however, so my guess is for most Baltimore owners, that's the defense they're going to roll with most weeks.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

D-Day Heroes

Post by D-Day Heroes » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:59 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I would start another defense if I believed that defense was better than Baltimore's. I'm not sure there are many defenses which fit that description, however, so my guess is for most Baltimore owners, that's the defense they're going to roll with most weeks. Thanks Tom and John , and i would agree with you both , it seems when faced with playing your Best Player or trying to play the Best match up you should go with your best player , THATS WHY YOU DRAFTED HIM.

It still kills me sometimes how tempting it is to look for the best match-up , am i the only one that falls victim to that temptation :eek:
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:46 am

Originally posted by D-Day Heroes:
quote:Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
I would start another defense if I believed that defense was better than Baltimore's. I'm not sure there are many defenses which fit that description, however, so my guess is for most Baltimore owners, that's the defense they're going to roll with most weeks. Thanks Tom and John , and i would agree with you both , it seems when faced with playing your Best Player or trying to play the Best match up you should go with your best player , THATS WHY YOU DRAFTED HIM.

It still kills me sometimes how tempting it is to look for the best match-up , am i the only one that falls victim to that temptation :eek:
[/QUOTE]'Thanks Tom and John , and i would agree with you both , it seems when faced with playing your Best Player or trying to play the Best match up you should go with your best player , THATS WHY YOU DRAFTED HIM.'

Not always true, but one step at a time. ;)

John

Robert Edwards

Post by Robert Edwards » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:05 am

Originally posted by Tom Kessenich:
One thing to remember is your quarterback doesn't know he's your quarterback and facing your defense, you know?

Seriously, I start my best guys, period. I do not waver from that approach because at the end of the day, your top guys are the ones who stand the best chance of giving you the production you need. You drafted these players for a reason. If you have two players of comparable talent, then let the matchup decide. But if the choice is Rivers against the Ravens or David Garrard against the Cardinals, I'm taking Rivers no matter how difficult the matchup may be. The chances that Rivers produces at a high level are much greater than Garrard because Garrard rarely produces at a high level. Sure, he could luck into a great performance this week or any random week but the percentage play is the guy who routinely delivers big-time production. And in this case, that's Philip Rivers.

Also, don't forget that a good offense meeting a good defense doesn't automatically mean the matchup favors the defense. I've always been baffled by how people are so quick to favor the defense in this type of matchup. The Chargers - even with a hobbling LT - have enough talent to move the ball and score on anybody. Sure, it's going to be a tough test this week but it's not like the Chargers are the Browns and bereft of talent. So keep that in mind as well. Sound advice and the same advice I always preach, but practicing it is hard for me this week. Now, I do not have Rivers (wish I did) on my on-line championship team, but I do have Cutler going against Pittsburgh this week. After his four pick week last week, I am considering my backup, Trent Edwards, who has TO now in his toolbox going against Tampa Bay, which is not quite the defensive team Pittsburgh is to say the least. This one could go down to the wire.
Wayne Edwards

The "other" Wayne