Don't waste week 17 !!

rsaylor

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by rsaylor » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:46 am

I know it is being widely accepted to disregard week 17 in FF leagues. I hate this. The NFL season is only 17 weeks, why waste a week of 16 games? Here's an idea. Instead of just counting weeks 14 -16, why not take the 3 best scores, from weeks 14 -17, for each team? Remember in High School when some teachers would let you "drop" your lowest test score before you figured your final average? Didn't you love that? I did. This would be like that. Entry fee is $1250 for the NFFC, let's get another week of entertainment out of it.

Route Collectors

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by Route Collectors » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:10 am

Originally posted by Rodsay12:
I know it is being widely accepted to disregard week 17 in FF leagues. I hate this. The NFL season is only 17 weeks, why waste a week of 16 games? Here's an idea. Instead of just counting weeks 14 -16, why not take the 3 best scores, from weeks 14 -17, for each team? Remember in High School when some teachers would let you "drop" your lowest test score before you figured your final average? Didn't you love that? I did. This would be like that. Entry fee is $1250 for the NFFC, let's get another week of entertainment out of it. First time eh!

renman

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by renman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:18 am

rodsay...

what about the complete luck factor of having your star player benched because his team is playing in the playoffs the following week and has nothing to play for? there is a reason that higher quality fantasy football leagues do not use the final NFL season...

rsaylor

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by rsaylor » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:00 pm

Both of you can leave your condescending tones at the door with me. Think about it instead of immediately reacting negatively, open your minds and give it some thought. I believe this idea has merit.

Renman, Having star players benched on week 17 is not a "complete luck factor". Thousands of preseason prognosticators inform us of teams that can "run away" w/ their division title, and most of us are intelligent enough to form our own opinions about this. If you knew week 17 counted, sound strategy would be, not, to put, "all your eggs in one basket", maybe you wouldn't want PManning, RWayne and DalClark all on your team. If you did and they all "sat out" week 17, I wouldn't blame "Ladyluck" I'd say, "you knew this was possible, how did your backup plan work?"

"Complete luck factor" are injuries, hence the luck factor cannot be removed from FF. Since this is fact, how can a 17 week FF season, not, be better than 16 weeks? It's an extra week of entertainment, more bang for your buck.

Also food for thought, What about an owner whose strategy was to take "younger" guys from non-playoff contenders, who blossom into starters, and will be playing their "best ball" at seasons end. Why shouldn't this owner get a chance to "cash in" on this players week 17 success? Especially if he's matching up against the leagues 30th ranked defense?

I'm merely suggesting extending the season to the max. Remember, my suggestion is taking each teams 3 best scores(of 4) from weeks 14 -17, this surely would not turn the competition "upside down". The same owners w/ sound strategy, and well managed rosters, and a little luck, will be at the top, regardless of the post season format. Given my suggested format, I'm sure that you'll admit, you'd be just as strong of a contender under either format. A slight tweak of "the lists" is all it takes. Pay back is an extra week of "fun".

King of Queens

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by King of Queens » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:59 pm

How about adding the actual playoffs weeks? That way, the owners who had the foresight to draft players from the Patriots, Eagles, etc. can be rewarded.

Perhaps we can include the Pro Bowl as well. That would give the most "bang for your buck", no?

rsaylor

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by rsaylor » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:33 pm

no King....not a fair response, only 8 teams(max) play a week, during the NFL playoffs.
32 teams play on week 17, we use 8 weeks where only 28 teams play. Everyone deals w/ that. Most players play on week 17, why shouldn't every team(in the NFFC) have the option to "cash in" a full season, for all their players? Come on, come around on this. You can do it. It's not like it's the dark side. 17 weeks is better than 16!

rsaylor

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by rsaylor » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:41 pm

Oh, and btw King,
I don't like your tone either. However, you're not as condescending as the guy from IN who quipped, "First time eh!"............ The audacity.

[ September 15, 2005, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Rodsay12 ]

renman

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by renman » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:57 pm

rodsay...

how about you start a league that uses week 17 and concentrate on putting a team together full of young up and coming stars on teams that will be bad and will not have locked themselves into a playoff spot... thats sounds like lots of fun!

on a sidenote.. you will probably be able to get about 3 guys interested in that league.. so it will be a four team league.. and you all will have so much talent on your benches that if a star player sits out week 17 you should have the depth to handle it...lol

Peter Haiti

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by Peter Haiti » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:18 pm

and while were at it, let's throw in the preseason. more bang for the buck, right???undrafted rookies and 3rd string QBs for everyone!!!

King of Queens

Don't waste week 17 !!

Post by King of Queens » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:17 am

Careful Lama, Rodsay might not like your "tone."