Return TD's should count for both player and defense

Henry Muto

Post by Henry Muto » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:58 am

If you have Reggie Bush and he returns a punt for a TD why are you penalized for having him ? You actually have to root against your own player if he returns a punt that doesn't seem right to me. You have to root against him because if he scores you get nothing and he is taken off the field. You have to root he doesn't get hurt and he doesn't score. Sounds pretty crazy to me rooting against your own players. What would be so wrong to allow a player that scored a TD to get credit ? So what if the defense gets the pts too. Does a QB and a WR both not get pts on a TD pass ? I don't see the problem with both scoring the TD and in a million years will never figure out why contests out there don't allow the TD. The "if the other team has both players" arguement doesn't hold water either since if they have both the QB and RB or QB and WR when they hook up for a TD they get both pts so put that one to bed. Bottom line a player scored a TD you should get the pts. No reason not to.
2023 NFFC Cutline Champion and 4th place ($90,000) (1720 teams)
2014 RTS Fantasy Championship National Champion ($200,000) (2460 teams)
2012 NFFC Online National Champion and 4th place ($110,000 winner) (1872 teams)
2014 DFWC National Champion (288 teams)

russ0811

Post by russ0811 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:50 am

absolutely agree

botherk

Post by botherk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:47 am

This is sort of like wanting more points for a safety or a full point for a rb catching a pass.
I brought the same point up 20 some-odd years ago to a commish and was told that the touchdown must be scored on first, second, third, or fourth down to be counted for an offensive player, otherwise it is a defensive,special teams touchdown. I was ok with that.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

Here are some names for football players.
Ouch, Hitcha, Juke, Blitz

GOD Loves You

Post by GOD Loves You » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:13 am

Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
This is sort of like wanting more points for a safety Not even close, Dan. A safety is a rare occurrence; if you can read, the stats back it up. Yes, I know there are those who claim the safeties are more "luck" than anything......well, I'll keep my thoughts about them to myself.

I've researched two season so far and there's only been a few safeties we can call "luck." I'm guessing 5-7 seasons worth will show the same thing.
FAITH IS NOT BELIEVING THAT GOD CAN....
IT IS KNOWING THAT HE WILL

pizzatyme

Post by pizzatyme » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:28 am

Arguing for rules changes is a moot point unless it comes from a handful of people.
2008- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic.
2009- Didn't finish last overall in the Classic or Primetime.

botherk

Post by botherk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:31 am

Originally posted by Just Russ:
Arguing for rules changes is a moot point unless it comes from a handful of people. True that.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

botherk

Post by botherk » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:03 pm

Originally posted by GOD Loves You:
quote:Originally posted by DOUGHBOYS:
This is sort of like wanting more points for a safety Not even close, Dan. A safety is a rare occurrence; if you can read, the stats back it up. Yes, I know there are those who claim the safeties are more "luck" than anything......well, I'll keep my thoughts about them to myself.

I've researched two season so far and there's only been a few safeties we can call "luck." I'm guessing 5-7 seasons worth will show the same thing.
[/QUOTE]Patrick, really I don't know whether a safety or a runback of a punt or kick by a fantasy relevant returner is more rare.
The point I was making is that unless there is a ground swell of support for changing points for a fantasy score, there is little chance for the rule to be changed.
Alge? Braylon? Knowshon?
C'mon parents!

kennorred

Post by kennorred » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:48 pm

I think most people are in favor of points for return td by players but stat keepers of the older set have discouraged it from being a part of fantasy football(too much work) and operators that are in monkey see monkey do mindset have made it taboo too . In recent years some contests have went agaisnt the grain and included it into their contests and i think it is something that should be a part of scoring. your player can be done for the season on one of these plays but has no way of getting a point for your fantasy team, its a part of the game and should be a part of the scoring for our contests.

[ September 17, 2009, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Bama ]

Ted's Cracked Head

Post by Ted's Cracked Head » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:32 am

I am totally in favor of individual players getting the 6 points for a TD no matter how or when they score.

If they do it catching a pass, rushing, falling on a fumble by Slaton or returning a kick. A TD is a TD. Reward them.

IMHO, the double dipping argument against because the Team Def gets 6 is crap.
My mama says she loves me but she could be jiving too! BB King

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:47 pm

I am in complete agreement with the individual player getting credit for his return TDs. In most other league I am in this is the rule.

There is double scoring for passing TDs, so why not returns? And if one team has both the QB and WR they get 12 pts, plus the yards and a catch.

One of the travesties of the season was earlier this year when Eddie Royal returned 2 kicks for TDs in the same game. He was so tired running the length of the field twice he didn't play much offense and got no catches (McDaniels said he wanted to keep him fresh...). So his NFFC owners got zero points for their trouble of starting him. And I'm not just complaining for myself because I didn't have him on any of my NFFC teams. But I did have him in one of my local leagues and got 12 points that night in that league.

By the way, has there been any discussion of the Meacham fumble return and how it was scored? That play has created quite a controversy in my local league, and I was just curious what everyone here thought?

Later.
Daren E
BD Dawgs
Las Vegas League #2 Total Points Champion!!!
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion