Response to E-mail about future of this league

MiamiMac

Post by MiamiMac » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:54 am

Originally posted by Purple Helmets:
I'm not trying to upset anyone, which I know I already have, but if anything has changed from the minute we drafted (player eligibility or starting roster requirements), then I am out of this league. I won't go into any further explanation why as I've already invested enough time into my feelings in this thread and am sorry if I screw up the one league that I am in as a result of my conviction on this item. Sorry Greg...I hope you can find someone to take over my team. I finished in the money last season and think the team I drafted will this season as well. Good luck to all this season. I would expect that everyone here deserves a certain amount of flexibility to make this thing work. To take a passive-aggressive position of "I don't mean to upset people, but if we don't do X then I am out of the league" is dissappointing. Of course, you are entitled to your position and I think everyone here understands your stance, but to make this work, I think there needs to be a give and take. It's the only way for it to work. I trust Tom and Greg to make the best decision, and whatveer that is, we move on and play some fantasy basketball. Drawing lines in the sand makes an already difficult decision that much more so, and like I said, is dissappointing.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:09 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
quote:Originally posted by King of Queens:
quote:Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
We are on Fanball with the eligibility we have for each player now. So you've settled on using dual-eligibility for all these players? My understanding was that with Plan B, you wouldn't need to do that -- all the positions could go back to the way they're supposed to be.

Unfortunately, you're waiting until after the weekend to make a final decision. More games will be played, and more information will be obtained if someone needs to make a retroactive transaction to make the positions fit.

You're also not dealing with the mid-week pickups that were done on Tuesday -- some of those players I would have bid on. Again, if Plan B were enacted, you wouldn't need to let people add free agents after the draft. By waiting until after the weekend to make a decision, these players will not be available via FAAB.
[/QUOTE]Glenn, we are not rolling back those transactions or the eligibility. Without the added center eligibilities, no fewer than 20 teams had illegal lineups. We had 30+ eligible centers on that stupid initial list, not enough for any of us to get through a full season. And some folks unfortunately saw F/C eligibility on the MDC lists and thought they were filling their center spot when in fact that player was only a F.

So we've now made everyone's lineup legal and still folks feel we don't have enough centers in the player pool. We also think there are too many Guards on our list, but Fanball has the final say on that.

I understand that some players would have gone via FAAB this week, but by pulling back those players we have 20+ illegal rosters. So we're trying to get everyone set up now and move forward. Hopefully we can do that.

There will be no change on the eligibility changes we made after this weekend. Just if we can keep the leagues together or not. I wish we could have made Plan B work.
[/QUOTE]Hello Greg,

I thought screwing around with the center eligibility was no longer an option.

If we add additional center eligibility, that is the option that I'd have by far the biggest problem with. I drafted backup centers in the middle rounds over much more talented forwards and guards to fill my center requirements. I obviously would have handled my draft much differently if I had known more players were going to be made center eligible.
If we create more center eligibility, it aids the people who didn't know the draft rules and penalizes those who did...like myself.

I'm sorry, but I'm sure you can understand if I don't want to donate $650 for my less talented team that only became less talented due to rule changes made AFTER the draft to help those who didn't keep up with the rules at the expense of those who did.

Why am I being penalized for knowing the rules?

Glenn

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 am

Originally posted by stool pigeon:
of course no decision was going to appease all 60 owners. if we lose one or two people because of how poorly it was set up so be it. but i am willing to bet 55 or so out of 60 want to run this thing. let's find a way to make it work, and any team that doesn't want in maybe a discount buy or something.

giving up right now is just a reflection on the nffc and its unwillingness to have this contest. as a business owner myself, you need to look to the future. if this thing is scrapped now it will have almost zero chance of ever going off in the future, and potential profits. Nobody wants to give up, but the fact of the matter is we tried to organize this league in short notice and we have the results of that. Nobody is proud that there is even the slightest bit of confusion with the eligibility list, but we are seeing very little give or take by some of the participants. If we only lost one or two owners, I'd move forward. But we have more than that and no payment from anyone yet. So it makes it tough.

This certainly is not an unwillingness on our part to run the basketball contest. We have a great format in place and we want to expand this to include live drafts next year. But running a bad contest isn't an option and I'd rather admit a mistake than force folks to live with it.

I have never run an inferior league or one in which there are complaints about the rules that were in place and I'd rather not start now. What we had here was a BAD position eligibility list and now a site with an even more rigid eligibility list. It's making it tough to move forward without some give and take by all of the participants.

I thought we had an option in place yesterday, but it didn't pan out.

So now what??
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:50 am

I am not throwing this out as an option, but I'll discuss it nonetheless. Our game format is solid and it's obvious we have 50+ NBA die-hards who want some skin in the game this year. It can't be that hard to draft on a site that already has solid position eligibility and run the league right there with all results being input right away. I know that nobody has time to draft again, but seriously there are few games played already and any day in the next 10 days would still provide a new beginning and a solid start. Heck, we can even keep our draft spots and fill in with new owners for those who drop out.

But right now asking folks for payments of the finished leagues looks like a lost cause. I hate to say it, but that's what Tom and I are seeing from the emails we're getting. I'm not throwing in the towel, but if anyone wants to use new ones it might be the best option going forward.

Let us know. Otherwise, I'm not sure if Plan A will still cut it for everyone.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Heels

Post by Heels » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:58 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:
I am not throwing this out as an option, but I'll discuss it nonetheless. Our game format is solid and it's obvious we have 50+ NBA die-hards who want some skin in the game this year. It can't be that hard to draft on a site that already has solid position eligibility and run the league right there with all results being input right away. I know that nobody has time to draft again, but seriously there are few games played already and any day in the next 10 days would still provide a new beginning and a solid start. Heck, we can even keep our draft spots and fill in with new owners for those who drop out.

But right now asking folks for payments of the finished leagues looks like a lost cause. I hate to say it, but that's what Tom and I are seeing from the emails we're getting. I'm not throwing in the towel, but if anyone wants to use new ones it might be the best option going forward.

Let us know. Otherwise, I'm not sure if Plan A will still cut it for everyone. Count me in either way, even for a new draft.
The thing I would like most in this situation is a speedy resolution.

stool pigeon

Post by stool pigeon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:02 am

yeah, i'm in any way we slice this thing. if it's a new draft, it's a new draft. basketball is a long season. if we get this thing resolved one way or another soon we can move on and enjoy the season.
kaw f'ing kaw

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:12 am

Originally posted by stool pigeon:
yeah, i'm in any way we slice this thing. if it's a new draft, it's a new draft. basketball is a long season. if we get this thing resolved one way or another soon we can move on and enjoy the season. Well, that's my thinking too and the season just started. Nobody wants to think that we just wasted time last weekend drafting, but damn, let's get it right.

We could easily set up drafts on the site we used last year for Monday at 7 ET, Tuesday at 7 ET and Wednesday at 7 ET. You'd have to designate your starters the next morning and we'd accumulate back stats from that starting lineup.

Honestly, it's an alternative I'd consider even if we just get 1-2 leagues. We'd have to lower the overall prize but we'd still have the nice league prizes and a solid competition using the current format and the correct eligibility lists. Anyone game?

MiamiMac

Post by MiamiMac » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:15 am

I wouldn't want a new draft, but if that's the only option, I'd be on board.

Best case is to have everyone accept a certain level of sacrafice...but seeing as though that seems impossible, I'm on board with whatever is decided.

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:28 am

Ill go with whatever keeps the league going.....a new draft would be fine if that what it takes
paul

menobrown

Post by menobrown » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:29 am

It's been pretty clear to me since this issue erupted that with no teams having paid there was going to be little chance of continuing the league "as-is". That's why I started this thread so we could hurry up and get this resolved. If we are going to redraft it needs to be organized and completed as soon as possible before we get any deeper into the season.