Playoffs - Maybe I'm The Only One, But . . .

Samlawyer

Post by Samlawyer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:40 am

Even in the Primetime league, it just seems like the number of teams that advance is too limited. We are in Week 7 and 6 teams (including me) out of 12 are completely out of it. Completely. For full disclosure, I'm referring to Primetime Chicago - League 2. The waiver wire is completely drained (even defenses!), and it's tough to get motivated to put a lineup in, much less maneuver to improve my team.

I've been doing the high stakes fantasy thing for several years now, so I'm no rookie to this, but it's been awhile since I've felt such malaise so early. Perhaps it's just one of those years. Perhaps the playoff structure needs revisiting. I don't know. If I can't overcome a flawed draft and be competitive (which simply was not possible this year), I'll have to think long and hard about returning. Pushing "all-in" on draft day may be too big a gamble under the current structure.

Sorry for being a downer, but like I said, maybe it's just me . . . I wonder if others agree or disagree.

mikeybok

Post by mikeybok » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:16 am

With 6 weeks left (1/2 way), it's hard to believe you have no chance because there is a lot of football left and 1/2 the prizes goes to total points. The only way you can really be out of it is if you are behind and your team is also very weak and has no chance to make up the points. If this is the case. Do you really want weak teams with bad starts to have a chance to take your money when you draft and field a great team? I doubt it.

It might be one of those years for you. We all have them. At worse ... you need to buck up and get your lineup set every week like a veteran player would ... than play for a free entry in weeks 14 through 16! A very nice opportunity to get a free roll next year (Thanks Greg and Tom) ... should keep your interest anyway (get a free roll)

Hang in there!

Big Mike
Hakuna Matata!

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:32 am

Originally posted by Samlawyer:
Even in the Primetime league, it just seems like the number of teams that advance is too limited. We are in Week 7 and 6 teams (including me) out of 12 are completely out of it. Completely. For full disclosure, I'm referring to Primetime Chicago - League 2. The waiver wire is completely drained (even defenses!), and it's tough to get motivated to put a lineup in, much less maneuver to improve my team.

I've been doing the high stakes fantasy thing for several years now, so I'm no rookie to this, but it's been awhile since I've felt such malaise so early. Perhaps it's just one of those years. Perhaps the playoff structure needs revisiting. I don't know. If I can't overcome a flawed draft and be competitive (which simply was not possible this year), I'll have to think long and hard about returning. Pushing "all-in" on draft day may be too big a gamble under the current structure.

Sorry for being a downer, but like I said, maybe it's just me . . . I wonder if others agree or disagree. Sam, I'm 2 games and 23 points behind you in that league. It is my worst team ever. Imagine how I feel. :D

It is just one of those years for you. I've seen you with good teams in the past. Or maybe it is this league. I'm in a 12 team auction league in Vegas in which the 12 teams are separated by a total of 130 points. Not a single team is out of it.

Raiders

Post by Raiders » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:40 am

Sorry for being a downer, but like I said, maybe it's just me . . . I wonder if others agree or disagree. Please read: 'Not off to a Good Start'
I still feel like I will make the playoffs. One of the reason I started that Topic was for all to see. I'm off to the worst start ever, and I will find a way.

Hang in there, look everything over and compete.

Good Luck,

John

KOTRAX

Post by KOTRAX » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:27 am

Sorry for being a downer, but like I said, maybe it's just me . . . I wonder if others agree or disagree. I'M SORRY THIS IS HAPPENING TO YOU SAM BUT DON'T EVER GIVE UP. STILL FIELD YOU BEST LINEUP POSSIBLE AND ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.

IT IS JUST TOUGH WITH MORE AND MORE GREAT FANTASY PLAYERS OUT THERE INCLUDING YOURSELF.

TRUE IT CAN GET DISCOURAGING BUT JUST KNOW THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ON BOTH SIDES OF THE FENCE AS FAR AS WINNING AND LOSING IN FANTASY LEAGUES AS WELL AS ALL OF THE OTHER BIG NAME PLAYERS.

AS FAR AS THE PLAYOFF STRUCTURE GOES IT IS FINE AS IT IS BUT I UNDERSTAND WHEN YOU ARE HAVING A BAD YEAR IT IS TOUGH TO GET MOTIVATED

Samlawyer

Post by Samlawyer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks boys. Definitely appreciate the kind words. And I did NOT mean to suggest I wouldn't work hard to field a respectable team the rest of the way. I refuse to be THAT guy. I suppose it's just one of those years . . . Who knows? maybe one of those that I wrote off in my own league will prove me wrong!

Samlawyer

Post by Samlawyer » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally posted by Bald is Beautiful:
quote:Originally posted by Samlawyer:

Sorry for being a downer, but like I said, maybe it's just me . . . I wonder if others agree or disagree. Sam, I'm 2 games and 23 points behind you in that league. It is my worst team ever. Imagine how I feel. :D

It is just one of those years for you. I've seen you with good teams in the past. Or maybe it is this league. I'm in a 12 team auction league in Vegas in which the 12 teams are separated by a total of 130 points. Not a single team is out of it.
[/QUOTE]Jack, I feel for ya. I sucks being out of it so early. I'm sure an offseason full of training camp intrigue will bring me back for more pain next year, but it's a drag for us now! We'll keep fightin' tho! Thanks!

Eddiejag

Post by Eddiejag » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Originally posted by GK:
...Samlawyer, I simply feel that things need to be put a wee bit in perspective here imho...I know that it hurts to be that far behind with just over half the season finished (still a long way to go) and I never thought that I'd be writing this (because I am as passionate as they come at this game) but in the grand scheme of things I personally feel that it's important to remember that it's ONLY Fantasy Football - be thankful for your and your loved ones health and prosperity (in that order) and you might feel a little bit better about your season here...sometimes people take things that are or seem "normal" for granted until that's not the case anymore as opposed to being thanful for what they indeed do "have" in life...it's certainly not my intention to get all profound here but this is simply imho based on my current experience in life...GK Im dead in the primetime at 2 and 5 and just too low in points.BUT AMEN as Snake has said it perfectly.
NFBC (NY) auction league champion!
Bad(ass)Angels

He who steps to me in 2005, you better realize you dont have enough jive..... TURKEY!

Samlawyer

Post by Samlawyer » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:32 am

Believe me, I don't take this stuff very seriously, but I see how much post cold be read that way. It was just fantasy football malaise. I've got my life priorities in order.

Now if you were to take golf away from me, that's another story completely . . .