Who Is The Mt. Rushmore of Fantasy Football?

Greg Ambrosius

Who Is The Mt. Rushmore of Fantasy Football?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:34 pm

With LaDainian Tomlinson retiring, ESPN.com's Matthew Berry is asking for feedback on who should be considered the Mt. Rushmore of Fantasy Football. Is LT deserving of that honor? Jerry Rice?? Peyton Manning??

It's a good discussion during the off-season. Who do you have for Fantasy Football's Mt. Rushmore?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Tom Kessenich

Re: Who Is The Mt. Rushmore of Fantasy Football?

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:41 pm

LT for sure. Topped 2,000 total yards three times, had double-digit touchdowns in nine consecutive seasons, including a monstrous 31 in 2006, and had eight consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

Jerry Rice is a no-brainer. Caught 100 passes or more four times, 12 seasons of at least 80 receptions and had double-digit touchdowns in nine seasons.

Peyton Manning is a lock too in my opinion. He's topped 4,000 yards passing in 11 of his 13 seasons and thrown for more than 25 touchdowns every year of his career. Slam dunk call there.

Marshall Faulk is definitely in the mix. He topped 2,000 yards from scrimmage four times and had double-digit touchdowns eight times, including two seasons of more than 20.

Priest Holmes deserves some consideration. Topped 2,100 yards from scrimmage for three straight seasons and in two of those seasons he scored more than 20 touchdowns.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

SS

Post by SS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:36 pm

First players that come to mind are Terrell Davis and Arian Foster...
2010 NFFC Classic Consolation Bracket 2nd Place

Team Legacy

Post by Team Legacy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Marshall Faulk
LaDanian Tomlinson

:end of list:
Twitter: @ScottFantasy

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Jerry Rice

check the stats

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:11 pm

You'd be hard pressed to find a better four than Rice, LT, Faulk, and P. Manning.

All put up crazy numbers and did so consistently for many years.
Go Big Red!

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Was jerry rice really in his prime when FF became big though? And was he a 49er then? No doubt he is the best reciever of all time hands down. Ive been playing since 97 and seems like rice was kinda fading out then. Hiow far are we going back :D? L.T. and Faulk have my votes for sure and probably peyton and brady.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Sabretooth wrote:Was jerry rice really in his prime when FF became big though? And was he a 49er then? No doubt he is the best reciever of all time hands down. Ive been playing since 97 and seems like rice was kinda fading out then. Hiow far are we going back :D? L.T. and Faulk have my votes for sure and probably peyton and brady.
Chris, I know you're young but check our Jerry Rice's dominance before PPR was even prominent. From 1986-96 he had 11 straight 1,000-yard receiving seasons, leading the NFL in yardage six times, receptions twice and TD receptions twice, including an NFL record 23 TD receptions in 1987. He was the only WR consistently going in the first round back in those days as he had 10 or more TD receptions in 10 straight seasons. I had him in a keeper league during that whole time and he was the most consistent player you could have, outside of maybe Barry Sanders.

I agree the Mt. Rushmore would be LT, Jerry Rice, Peyton Manning and probably Marshall Faulk, but there are a few others under consideration. But those four definitely dominated fantasy football leagues during the industry's biggest growth period and they did so consistently for many years. Great choices in my book.

Now Chris, go to www.profootballreference.com and Search for Jerry Rice. Look at those numbers for 11 straight years and total 'em up in PPR scoring and let me know what you think. He will soon be on your Mt. Rushmore as well. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Oh I'm very aware of who jerry rice is:) Jerry rice is the greatest WR I ever saw play. And Montana was the greatest QB I ever saw. All I'm saying is when I started playing FF in about 97 I think Rice was a little past his prime and soon after that a Raider. So if were talking about my MT. Rushmore since Ive been playing it would have to be LT,faulk,peyton...and not sure about the other maybe Brady.

Erok

Post by Erok » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:36 am

The more important question here is......

"How did Matthew Berry get his job?"

The guy is laughable as a fantasy analyst.