DRAFT CHAMPIONSHIP WINNER FROM THE 60 SEC OR 8HR FORMAT ?

gorgo

DRAFT CHAMPIONSHIP WINNER FROM THE 60 SEC OR 8HR FORMAT ?

Post by gorgo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:42 pm

I feel it more likely the overall Draft Champion will come from the 60 seconds a round daft. The speed of the 60 second format handicaps the talentless hacks who use draft software. The douches that slow online drafts with " glitches " ; you know what I mean, the player who generally cannnot make his pick 2 or 3 times a draft in the time alloted. The format means the opportunities to jump on mispicks and the resulting added value that might be available are more likely than the 8 hr per pick time limit drafts.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: DRAFT CHAMPIONSHIP WINNER FROM THE 60 SEC OR 8HR FORMAT

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:16 am

I think it's fun to speculate on where the overall champion will come from any of these formats, but in this crazy game nothing is really predictable. And that goes for the Draft Champions National Championship format as well as any of our other overall competitions.

While you may eventually be right, the bottom line for the slow draft format or the fast/slow draft format is that when it's everyone's turn to make a pick they have to make the right one. The slow drafts gives everyone to fully digest each pick and as you say in a 60-second per pick draft you might have less time to digest that. But if you look at the lineup list for each of these fast/slow drafts they are filled with NFFC veterans who know what they're doing and thus there are probably less mistakes being made than you are suggesting. In fact, these fast/slow drafts probably have and will have more NFFC past champions and veterans than any other league in this DC format. I'm not saying the competition is greater in these fast formats, but it's certainly not any less. ;)

Anytime you run overall competitions over long lengths of time or even different draft formats there can be speculation that someone had an advantage. Maybe drafting later is better because you get to digest the Kenny Britts of the NFL. Or maybe drafting earlier is better because you get to pick the Darren Sproles of the NFL like last year before he emerged as an RB1. It's everyone's call when and where to draft and at the end of the day everyone in that league had the same, fair format when it was their turn to pick.

In the NFBC, we held the same type of Draft Champions format from October through March, using even more draft formats. We began with two email drafts before our software was done and continued it through slow drafts and one-night fast drafts. These were 50 rounds, 15 team drafts for a total of 750 players. In the NFFC we draft 420 players. And if you look at our leaderboard now, the top teams come from the early drafts, the middle of the year drafts, the late drafts, the slow drafts and the fast drafts. The highest a "fast draft" team is in the overall standings is 13th. This is through 1,050 teams as we finished with 70 leagues in the NFBC Slow Draft DC Championship. Pretty amazing.

I think what you'll find here is a mix of top teams from ALL FORMATS and all time frames. That's usually how these DCs play out. And if any team dominates their league and goes on to win the $10,000 grand prize, we'll praise them for the great draft picks they made because that's what it takes to win in this format. You need to be the BEST DRAFTER because there's no chance to improve your roster after Draft Day (or Draft Weeks!!) or make lineup screwups. This format rewards the BEST DRAFTER and that's it.

So good luck everyone. As you can see from my previous post, we are offering more fast drafts and the slow drafts will continue to fill up sooner as we head into NFL Training Camps and then the pre-season. The format is perfect for those who want to prepare for their bigger league drafts and for those folks who love the draft experience but hate the weekly FAAB pickups and lineup decisions. Just draft, enjoy the draft and then watch the results roll in for 16 straight weeks. And you'll get a good chance to enjoy the Live Scoring and Live Overall Standings as those will be available in the NFFC this year. I've seen the enhancements being made by our IT team and you're going to LOVE our new live scoring features this year. Thanks all and best of luck in this format.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

got heeem

Post by got heeem » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:04 am

gorgo wrote:I feel it more likely the overall Draft Champion will come from the 60 seconds a round daft. The speed of the 60 second format handicaps the talentless hacks who use draft software. The douches that slow online drafts with " glitches " ; you know what I mean, the player who generally cannnot make his pick 2 or 3 times a draft in the time alloted. The format means the opportunities to jump on mispicks and the resulting added value that might be available are more likely than the 8 hr per pick time limit drafts.
i feel that you are right gorgo . when you have 8 hrs to make a pick and belive me some use every min. there is less mistakes .i have done both the slow and last fridays fast/slow . you better be on your game for these 60 sec ones . trying one more fast/slow tonight and this time i feel more like tyson and less like frasier .

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:22 am

I know in last week's 60-sec draft, we felt rushed on 2 or 3 picks and hastily made our decision as the clock expired. However, since then, I've set the Draft Prep so that our rankings our used for tonight's draft. Let's hope that helps a bit. But unfortunately, I believe our rushed picks weren't until the double-digit rounds and I've only ranked about the first 160 players in Draft Prep because the tool is sooooo tedious to use (sorry guys, just being honest). It's extremely time-consuming to use and throughout the summer, as we tweak our projections in our spreadsheets, an ongoing pain to keep updated player by player.

As an IT professional myself, I just don't understand why a simple Import from a tab or comma-delimited file can't be offered? :? Last time I asked for this, I believe Greg said it was a challenge due to internal player IDs. But if, for example, you required us to have our rankings file with the following columns: Last, First, Position, Team... then couldn't the software look up during the import the internal Player IDs from those columns?

I would think that most NFFC players have rankings in spreadsheets or they use a favorite website from which data can easily be copy/pasted into Excel. Then Excel allows Saving As comma or tab-delimited files.

Please reconsider implementing this guys.
Thank you.

Jim Wiseheart

Post by Jim Wiseheart » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Greg said what I was thinking. It has been my experience that the fast drafts generally have a higher competition level which negates some of the advantage you might think you have of being more prepared. I've done both and haven't seen much difference in the quality of the teams I have been able to put together.

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:49 am

This will be fun to monitor throughout the season. Ive numbered my teams inorder of draft start time and have a cross section of slow 150 and 375 with anexpress thrownin at the end.

This was thethread I referenced recalling earlier Mike,

Scott
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks Scott. I found it after you mentioned it, so I edited my post in the Cundiff thread to remove my request for you to point me to it.

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:15 am

I may have the most cursed team in DC land already locked up as one squad has lost five to injury and cuts.. :o
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.