Who Is The Mt. Rushmore of Fantasy Football?

Diesel

Re: Who Is The Mt. Rushmore of Fantasy Football?

Post by Diesel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:35 am

I don't know the exact stats, but Sean Alexander has to be given some consideration. I think he had something like 100 TD's over a 5 year span. I still put him 3rd behind Faulk and LT2, but I think Alexander should be recognized.

*Faulk was a good fantasy scorer when he was on the Indianapolis Colts...When they were bad...Really bad...lol

Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders need to be recognized too. Barry Sanders was such a great fantasy player, people were drafting him with their last picks, 2-3 years after he stopped playing, just HOPING that would be the year he returns.

Shannon Sharpe should be the top TE on this list. I can't think of anyone that did what Sharpe did, for as long as he did it.

Darryl Johnston, Mike Alstott and Larry Centers should be on top of the list for FB. Centers, a FULLBACK, was a reception machine. It's been a long time since fullbacks were part of the fantasy game.
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

David U Kennedy

Post by David U Kennedy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 am

Nobody mentioned Emmit Smith or Dan Marino. Steve Young, Montana. Rice, LT are locks for me. Sterling Sharpe if his career wasnt shortened. Warren Moon lit it up for a long time.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:31 pm

David U Kennedy wrote:Nobody mentioned Emmit Smith or Dan Marino. Steve Young, Montana. Rice, LT are locks for me. Sterling Sharpe if his career wasnt shortened. Warren Moon lit it up for a long time.
Emmitt is a possibility, but look at his year-to-year numbers and they don't quite stack up to LT's. Marino had only two seasons of more than 30 TD passes, which is incredible when you think of it. He had 48 TD passes in 1984 and 44 TD passes in 1986 and then never another season with more than 30. He had six seasons of 4,000+ passing yards, but nothing that stacks up tothe Peyton, Brady, Favre even Brees glory years.

That fourth spot can be any number of players, but Rice, LT, Manning are for sures. If it's PPR scoring then Marshall Faulk tops Emmitt and Barry. From 1998-2002, he had 80 or more receptions every year and 2,000+ combined yards four straight seasons. He was just a beast for fantasy owners in PPR formats.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:47 pm

This is another interesting piece from NFL.com's Mike Fabiano. I would agree with this rankings here:

http://www.nfl.com/fantasyfootball/stor ... unner-ever
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

morons

Post by morons » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 am

LT, Faulk, Barry Sanders, and Emmitt Smith.....Stud RB are the rocks of a good fantasy squad. These 4 are my choices because they were consitently great top-2-or-3 picks for many years....Terrell Davis, Edge James, Shaun ALexander, Priest Holmes, Ricky Watters, Ahman Green, would complete my 10-man RB Rushmore.........Although I agree that Peyton has been awesome, there have been a lot of other great fantasy QB past and present (Favre, S Young, Brady, Kurt Warner, Brees, Marino, Montana, Bledsoe).......As for Rice, he was a beast too, but many of his great seasons were in the 80s which to me is "pre-fantasy" and I'd say that Randy Moss was as great of a fantasy WR as Rice was. I'd give Marvin Harrison "honorable mention" from a WR standpoint.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:16 pm

This is a good story from Bill Simmons about one of our faces on Mt. Rushmore of Fantasy Football:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/819 ... -tomlinson

robg199

Post by robg199 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 pm

I definitely have a place in my heart for a trio of guys from the 1990's: Steve Young, Emmitt Smith, and Jerry Rice.

I, like many of you, started playing fantasy football in 1990. I was huge into sports cards at the time, so after drafting Warren Moon and Andre Reed in the first two rounds, I remember going after "rookies", thinking it was like collecting cards and took Blair Thomas and Emmitt. Emmitt was gold then and was for the next ten years in an era where you would have to wait until Monday night to watch him run on TV and then wait until the morning to add up his points from the USA Today and add them to the score you added up the prior morning. Fantasy Gold.

I do want to add, the next year I took Ricky Ervins in the second round because I wanted to duplicate that rookie magic....didn't work so well.

marisschris

Post by marisschris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:39 am

What about Chris Carter? He had some monster fantasy seasons.