ogletree substitution after game

Shrink Attack

Re: ogletree substitution after game

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:40 pm

eliasond wrote:Yep I see that. My point is if you are going to allow switching the Wednesday players in/out of the lineup after their game, you might as well let us switch until the game starts for the player that would be switched for them.
I have to agree with this.

The rule as written is vague. There's nothing specific about Wednesday night players being locked at 1 PM. I see no reason why players who haven't yet started their games can't be substituted for Wednesday players.

If I were in that position, I would not have assumed that the Wednesday players would lock at 1PM.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Jim Christie wrote:
eliasond wrote:Yep I see that. My point is if you are going to allow switching the Wednesday players in/out of the lineup after their game, you might as well let us switch until the game starts for the player that would be switched for them.

Are you going to CRY about this all year long? You can pick up your football and go cry to mommy. Geeez
That's a little harsh. Not knowing the initial rule is inexcusable and shouldn't be whined about. But his second point is very valid, IMO.

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Wow, does 2 posts in 1 afternoon qualify as "all year". That's harsh buddy. Just suggesting a minor rule change for next year ia all. Do you have any friends or have you pissed them all off?
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

Jim Christie

Post by Jim Christie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:29 pm

Nope, no friends, I have alienated all of them, but hey, it is OK. So, let me see if I get this vague rule. There was a game played Wednesday night. Those players in that game (except for a few select leagues) could have been taken out of your lineup or inserted in your lineup prior to the Sunday games that start at 1pm but the rule doesn't state prior to the 1pm games. Now, once 1pm hits and the games start, you can no longer switch in 1pm players because they are now locked.
The debate, "Why can't I put in one of my 4pm players for a Wednesday night (Giant or Cowboy) player?" Is this correct? With that thought process, you could put a 4pm player in for a 1pm player. I have to leave now, I am making a guest appearance on, Are you smarter than a 5th grader.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:46 pm

I see no reason why someone couldn't wait until 4pm to insert a late-game player in place of someone who played Wed. night. No, that doesn't mean they could put one in for TODAY's 1pm players; not sure how you're thinking that? But, as I understand it, the basic premise is "You can wait until a later player's gametime to decide whether to use them instead of someone who played on Wed." That should go for the 4:25 or 8:20 game today or for tomorrow's game.

If this isn't explicitly stated in the rules, then unless I'm missing some key ingredient here, I'd expect that Tom & Greg would interpret the "spirit of the rule" to be as I suggested above.

Toscano

Post by Toscano » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:57 pm

The best way to fix this is to not allow switching of players once a game has been played, period. It is ridiculous to be able to adjust your lineup based off of a game played earlier in the week. I also dont understand how drafting can continue after the NFL season has begun.

The season starts - no more drafting.

A game is played - those players are locked until the following tuesday.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Jim Christie wrote:Nope, no friends, I have alienated all of them, but hey, it is OK. So, let me see if I get this vague rule. There was a game played Wednesday night. Those players in that game (except for a few select leagues) could have been taken out of your lineup or inserted in your lineup prior to the Sunday games that start at 1pm but the rule doesn't state prior to the 1pm games. Now, once 1pm hits and the games start, you can no longer switch in 1pm players because they are now locked.
The debate, "Why can't I put in one of my 4pm players for a Wednesday night (Giant or Cowboy) player?" Is this correct? With that thought process, you could put a 4pm player in for a 1pm player. I have to leave now, I am making a guest appearance on, Are you smarter than a 5th grader.
Huh?

The spirit of the rule is that any player that plays on Wednesday night can be benched in favor of any other player, whether that new player plays at 1PM, 4PM, tonight, or tomorrow. As long as that new player is inserted into the starting lineup before kickoff, why should it matter? Arbitrarily locking the Wednesday night players at 1 PM doesn't make a lot of sense...even to a 5th grader.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:40 pm

Toscano wrote:The best way to fix this is to not allow switching of players once a game has been played, period. It is ridiculous to be able to adjust your lineup based off of a game played earlier in the week. I also dont understand how drafting can continue after the NFL season has begun.

The season starts - no more drafting.

A game is played - those players are locked until the following tuesday.
Because it's not fair to the teams that draft after the early game, by your rational, they would not be able to start players from that game. If you want to stop drafts before the early game, so be it, but if everyone is playing for the same prize, teams that draft early have to be able to see that game like the people drafting Thursday-Saturday.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:41 pm

I understand both sides on this, but I think we have to look at it this way...

1) There is no unfair advantage to knowing the outcome of ONE game, with regards to the teams that drafted after the Dallas - Giants game. In fact, in my opinion, it can hurt the teams that did take Ogletree, as they had to draft him a lot higher than he is probably worth, for the advantage of ONE good week of scoring. If he turns into a stud, it was a great decision to draft him higher, but if he fades, it is a huge loss for a 5-8th round pick who would normally go in the 14-16th round, if not for that one game. I did get him in the auction on Friday and paid $8 for a guy who would have gone for $1 or $2. So, there was no unfair advantage to drafting the 2nd weekend.. Risk-Reward balances out.

2) I agree that players from Dallas and NY Giants should have been able to have been switched after 1:00 pm today for players up to their start times. But, really, I think it was a lot like Mike Tomlin's challenge in tonights game. Be careful what you wish for.

In the end, I think this rule should be corrected to be able to switch after 1:00 pm, for next year, as we will probably face a similar situation.