Week 1 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Re: Week 1 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:14 pm

CoMoHusker wrote:
I'm pretty sure he just did this last year in the play-offs against the Saints...twice.
Saints' defense sucks. Not as bad as Green Bay's but it's pretty close. :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
CoMoHusker wrote:
I'm pretty sure he just did this last year in the play-offs against the Saints...twice.
Saints' defense sucks. Not as bad as Green Bay's but it's pretty close. :)
That wasn't the quote I responded to. It was "what happens when the 49ers are down late in a big game and Alex Smith needs to lead them back?" He did that twice in a game to get them to the NFC Championship.

And in today's game, who says that you are even going to face a "good D" in the play-offs on your way to the Superbowl? Statistically, there are quite a few teams with horrible defenses making runs in the play-offs these days.
Go Big Red!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:26 pm

My point, though, is it's easier to rally your team late against a horrible defense. I'm not trying to downplay what Smith did against the Saints - he impressed the hell out of me in that playoff win. But we can't sit here and pretend the Saints had a good defense then or the Packers have a good defense now. That's certainly a variable and arguably a significant one.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Last year, the 49ers best offensive weapon was David Akers. Seemed as though, if they were close enough, they played for the field goal. Not to say that is going to happen again this year, but it appears that they like to play it safe with Alex Smith and limit the turnovers, which is a good strategy with their defense. I don't think its a lack of confidence in Alex Smith, it is just their style of play. Lets see if he can carry it over against a good defense or do they do what made them successful last year... I personally believe that the improvement in Alex Smith last year was the 49ers game plan. He is an average QB at best, with regards to talent, in my opinion.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:54 pm

I guess my whole point is sometimes players are only as good as the system they're in. Reference Matt Cassel in NE or Matt Flynn in GB. Players can change scenery and be better, or worse, depending on the system. I'm not convinced Smith couldn't excel in NE, GB, or Pit or any other system that could help him show his talents. Maybe he has zero talent, but one thing for sure, the different systems he's had to adjust to in SF hasn't helped his cause.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

TR

Post by TR » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:51 pm

BigBlueNation wrote:I guess my whole point is sometimes players are only as good as the system they're in. Reference Matt Cassel in NE or Matt Flynn in GB. Players can change scenery and be better, or worse, depending on the system. I'm not convinced Smith couldn't excel in NE, GB, or Pit or any other system that could help him show his talents. Maybe he has zero talent, but one thing for sure, the different systems he's had to adjust to in SF hasn't helped his cause.
No way Alex Smith would excel in Pitt with bad oline and system that goes downfield for big plays, not dink and dunk west coast offense. Yeah can just see Alex Smith's weak arm being able to hit Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown deep with regularity

CraigW

Post by CraigW » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:44 pm

So Tom I need to understand things. Alex Smith only looked good cause the GB D sucked, correct? Just managed the game? I'm not going to reread your posts so I apologize if that is inaccurate.
Jay Cutler is the better QB is what I think you said, correct? So was tonight a result of the bad GB D figuring it out, or was it a poor game plan that the better QB didn't manage well? I just need to understand.
I have a friend who will never give Alex an ounce of credit. It's all Harbaugh's game plan not the fact that Alex is a solid QB. Some people just don't believe that he has actually gotten better as a QB. It's all good I just love it cause he agreed even after tonight's performance with you that Cutler is the better QB. Oh what was that? That was Jay Cutler still holding onto the ball while I typed this out. Spell checked it and reread it. That's talent!!
The Artist Formerly Known as Hard Heads

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 pm

Upon further review, I rest my case.... :D
Bill Cleavenger

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 pm

TR wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote:I guess my whole point is sometimes players are only as good as the system they're in. Reference Matt Cassel in NE or Matt Flynn in GB. Players can change scenery and be better, or worse, depending on the system. I'm not convinced Smith couldn't excel in NE, GB, or Pit or any other system that could help him show his talents. Maybe he has zero talent, but one thing for sure, the different systems he's had to adjust to in SF hasn't helped his cause.
No way Alex Smith would excel in Pitt with bad oline and system that goes downfield for big plays, not dink and dunk west coast offense. Yeah can just see Alex Smith's weak arm being able to hit Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown deep with regularity
I 100000% agree with you. The only QB in the NFL that could survive in Pitt with those conditions is Ben.
Bill Cleavenger

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:26 am

Really. How many 5 or 7-step drops, followed by 3 seconds of statueing do we have to watch?! Throw a few friggin' quick slants, will ya?! Who is calling plays for da Bears?! :roll: