Green Bay Fake FG Touchdown

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Green Bay Fake FG Touchdown

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:34 pm

BillyWaz wrote:
Henry Muto wrote:If it was a run then the guy running the ball gets a rushing TD. This makes sense to me but what doesn't make sense is when my guy scores a TD on a PR or KR TD and he gets nothing. So if had Cobb playing tonight I would be rooting against my own player ? Now that makes no sense. To have to root against your own guy because if he scores you get nothing and it takes him off the field for any more chances to score. Said it once said it 1,000 times that is the only thing wrong with this contest that you have to root against your own player because that never makes sense.
I agree Henry. Played against the Denver D a few years back and had Eddie Royal. Eddie caught ZERO balls in the game, but returned TWO TD's. I ended up losing by 7 or 8 points. So basically my own player (by doing well and scoring TD's) cost me the win. :(
Guys, I think we have talked about this potential rule change every year of the NFFC and we even included it in the NFFC members survey last year, and there wasn't a desire to provide points to the individual player AND the Special Teams/Defensive team. I understand your frustration when it comes to someone like Royal or Devin Hester scoring on special teams when you have him in your starting lineup, but there wasn't a consensus among NFFC players to give two owners 6 points on one play. Instead, the team that drafted that Special Teams (with the knowledge that Hester or Royal led that unit) gets those points.

Some may not like that in the NFFC and some may like it, but until I see an overwhelming sea change to pay two owners 6 points for one play we'll have to give it to just one scorer and at this point that is the ST/D.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Big Cheese

Post by Big Cheese » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:20 pm

I didn't start GB's defense last night in any contest so I don't have a dog in this fight but this play did stir up quite a debate in one of my local leagues so I had to give it some thought before casting my league vote.

The way I see it, this is a play that the special teams coach dialed up in film study and a play that was rehearsed and practiced by the special teams unit. That fact by itself should qualify it for a reward in the spirit of fantasy scoring for special teams. I voted to count it and that sentiment won by a vote of 9-3.

Just my 2 cents.

As a side note, I actually did have Crabtree as a 5th TE (hunch about Finley this year) in one of my DC leagues. I'd be curious to see how many people in the NFFC scored on that play. Could I be the only one? :D

mikenj46

Post by mikenj46 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:02 am

I understand why people wouldn't want to award 2 teams 6 points each for the same play. I was against that also.

Has it been considered to not attach special teams to the defense? Only draft defenses and have special teams points (kickoff ret. td, punt ret. td) be awarded to the individual player. Technically FGs are a special teams play, yet those points are awarded to only the kickers and not the special teams. Seems like we could separate defense from ST. I do think it would add an extra element to the league to have to decide when to draft and or start guys who could potentially get you those points.

Just a thought