Week 1 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Re: Week 1 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 am

Craig, I'm not sure how much clearer I can be - I praised Smith for doing what the 49ers ask him to do. I said I was extremely impressed by his play in the playoff win over New Orleans last season. I said he outplayed Aaron Rodgers in Week 1. I said he could very well win a Super Bowl this season with the approach the team has in place. But anyone who ignores the fact the Packers' defense was pathetic in Week 1 simply is ignoring a significant variable in the equation. I choose not to do that. If you want to believe Alex Smith is on the same level in terms of talent as guys like Brady, Rodgers and Brees, that's up to you. I think he falls well short of that category. Does that mean he's incapable of winning a Super Bowl as those three have done? Of course not and at no point have I said that. What I have said is that if the 49ers were to face a team with a good offense and good defense (granted, it's tough to find a team like that these days) it would be difficult for me to bet on Smith.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 am

Just wanted to add some thoughts as a good NFL debate is always fun.

Ben Roethlisberger is the opposite of a "game manager" type of QB. He is the epitome of a dynamic playmaking QB. He has carried that poorly conceived offense for years. Just look back at his performance vs the Broncos on 3rd down last week. He has no offensive line, no running game and with his own athletic ability to extend plays and find receivers downfield he routinely converted on 3rd and longs. He has done it his entire career.

I agree that Cutler has one of the best arms in the NFL. His decision making has been a problem. His ability to deal with in game adversity has been a problem. At times his mechanics can be a problem.

I believe what Alex Smith is, will be or could have been is hugely connected to coaching and the circumstances he has been in. It cannot be under estimated how much constantly changing offensive systems and a lack of cohesion can stunt the growth of a QB. Having said that, using the eye test he has never seemed like a "special" QB talent to me.

Aaron Rodgers (in my opinion) is clearly the best QB in the NFL when you combine accuracy, arm strength, a quick release, decision making, mobility, and track record (has already been a winner).

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:27 am

My own perception of a "game manager" is the guy who does what it takes for his team to win. He's the guy in charge of the situation for the good of the team. I put all of the great NFL QB's in that catagory. Peyton is the best "game manager" of all time. He's the coach on the field. He commands the situation. Maybe the term "game manager" is misunderstood at times. I do not consider QB's like Vick, Romo, Cam (to name a couple) as "game managers". They are "slingers". They are famtasy studs at times, but how many playoff games have they won, or would you want them driving your two-minute offense to win a game? I know I'm in a minority here, but I think ASmith can be a very good NFL QB for years to come. He has finally found a coach and system that fits him.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:29 am

Sandman62 wrote:Really. How many 5 or 7-step drops, followed by 3 seconds of statueing do we have to watch?! Throw a few friggin' quick slants, will ya?! Who is calling plays for da Bears?! :roll:
absolutely. ridiculous play calling.
drop back, look for marshall, double covered, look for 2nd read, buried. repeat.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:32 am

mattjb wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:Really. How many 5 or 7-step drops, followed by 3 seconds of statueing do we have to watch?! Throw a few friggin' quick slants, will ya?! Who is calling plays for da Bears?! :roll:
drop back, look for marshall, double covered, look for 2nd read, buried. repeat.
Mike Tice will never be known as a creative offensive mind.

It always baffles me when teams just give up offensively when defenses take away their top player. The Packers had safety help over the top on Marshall all night long. Was it effective? Absolutely. Was it something Brandon Marshall has never seen before? Of course not. The Bears should go into every game thinking Marshall will see double teams at some point if not frequently. So when it happens what are you going to do about it? I suppose you can give up - which is what the Bears did in the first half. Or maybe you can get creative. How about moving him around, running bubble screens, quick hitches, something - ANYTHING - to get his hands on the ball.

That's just poor coaching. Tice was whipped by Capers last night.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:36 am

mattjb wrote:
Even when it looked good it went. Drop back, look for Marshall, make perfect endzone throw, drop. Just was not a good night all the way around for the Bears. On top of that, they've probabaly lost Forte for a few games.
Go Big Red!

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:17 pm

BigBlueNation wrote:My own perception of a "game manager" is the guy who does what it takes for his team to win. He's the guy in charge of the situation for the good of the team. I put all of the great NFL QB's in that catagory. Peyton is the best "game manager" of all time. He's the coach on the field. He commands the situation. Maybe the term "game manager" is misunderstood at times. I do not consider QB's like Vick, Romo, Cam (to name a couple) as "game managers". They are "slingers". They are famtasy studs at times, but how many playoff games have they won, or would you want them driving your two-minute offense to win a game? I know I'm in a minority here, but I think ASmith can be a very good NFL QB for years to come. He has finally found a coach and system that fits him.
Blue,

Then I would have misunderstood you. Most people in and around the NFL use the phrase or term "game manager" as an example of a guy who doesn't turn the ball over, isn't a big play maker, isn't depended upon to "win" the game and just tries not to make mistakes. Obviously the term means something different to you.

thelunger

Post by thelunger » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:36 pm

i agree cutler is an elite talent physically but mentally hes a weakling and the rest of the league knows it and preys on it.in his defense his o-line looked awful thursday night but he also made some bad decisions.he will never win a super bowl if HE has to carry a team.out of all the teams in the nfl alex smith is on the only team that gives him a chance to win the super bowl.good D,good o-line good running game and good coach which suits him to a tee.like cutler he cant carry a team to a super bowl but like trent dilfer can be effective enough to get it done.on the flip side ben r is one of the most underrated qbs in football but is a leader that can carry an average offensive team on his back to a title.

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:24 am

CraigW wrote:So Tom I need to understand things. Alex Smith only looked good cause the GB D sucked, correct? Just managed the game? I'm not going to reread your posts so I apologize if that is inaccurate.
Jay Cutler is the better QB is what I think you said, correct? So was tonight a result of the bad GB D figuring it out, or was it a poor game plan that the better QB didn't manage well? I just need to understand.
I have a friend who will never give Alex an ounce of credit. It's all Harbaugh's game plan not the fact that Alex is a solid QB. Some people just don't believe that he has actually gotten better as a QB. It's all good I just love it cause he agreed even after tonight's performance with you that Cutler is the better QB. Oh what was that? That was Jay Cutler still holding onto the ball while I typed this out. Spell checked it and reread it. That's talent!!
I'll jump in here...

A Smith looked good against a horrible GB defense. Let me expand on that. He didn't turn the ball over and completed the short and intermediate passes to WIDE open wide receivers. He didn't do anything amazing and he didn't have to. The niners O line and D line dominated that game. There were numerous times when the Packers secondary blew coverages. There were a number of times that Jarrett Bush was exposed for what he is. He is a good special teams player but he is nowhere close to being a starting DB in the NFL. Alex Smith had several easy completions to make. I could've thrown the td pass to Moss. If Aaron Rodgers was the QB for SF in that game, I don't think the 49ers punt once in that game.
Has Alex Smith improved? Sure he has. Is he the talent that Rodgers is or even Cutler. Certainly doesn't look that way right now. Rodgers has the feet, the arm, and the brains, which is what makes him one of the top 3 QBs in the nfl if not the best. Cutler was bad on Thursday night but the Bears were out coached and the o line was horrible. But let's not start thinking A Smith is better than Cutler. Cutler has the occasional horrible game. He will bounce back. A Smith has the better coaching staff, the better o-line, and probably the better WRs/TE than Cutler. After Marshall, who do the Bears have in the passing game? Jeffrey and E Bennett? Are you kidding me? Forte is clearly option #2 in the passing game and then it gets ugly. Cutler also faced a GB team in "must win" mode at home in week 2 and a defense that clearly the made the right adjustments. Jarrett Bush went to the bench, Shields replaced him and had a great game. Casey Heyward played well too. Great pick, btw, by Ted Thompson getting this Vandy alum. He's going to be really good. The change to McMillian at safety helped. Once House returns, the secondary will be deeper. Capers made the correct adjustments on defense. I think the Packers showed they are a much better defensive unit than what they showed in week 1 and A Smith benefitted immensely from all the mistakes the Packers made in week 1 and from his coaching staff that had his team well prepared.
Back to the QB questions, I think you will find it unanimous, that most will agree Cutler is a better QB than A Smith. But football is the ultimate team game and Cutler's supporting cast doesn't match Smith's supporting cast. The defense Cutler faced was different than the defense Smith faced. The team Cutler faced was more desperate than the team Smith faced. Smith's coaches out coached GB, Cutler's coaches were out coached by GB. All of this is what adds up to Smith and his team beating GB and Cutler and his team losing to GB.

hindu888

Post by hindu888 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:54 am

Adrian Peterson = Best value pick of 2012. Nuff said.

IDK Kevin Smith went 9th rd in our draft!