Wednesday/Friday Waivers

Captain Hook

Re: Wednesday/Friday Waivers

Post by Captain Hook » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:22 am

Glenneration X wrote: I may be a lone voice here.....but I'm OK with screwing over the west coasters. :mrgreen:
I mean it's not like they can't move back east to modern civilization. ;)

Now, now Glenn - Karma is a B****

Besides some of us don't like to shovel snow

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Two weeks after we last talked about this, is anyone feeling more love for the current setup or more love for Thursday only players during Wednesday's bidding? It's been quiet for 2 weeks here on this subject, so I thought I'd ask.

I think the discussion for next year should be among 2 options:

1. Keep it as is with full Wednesday FAAB and a 2nd FAAB of remaining free agents Friday night or Saturday 1 pm ET.

or

2. Wednesday FAAB for only Thursday Night Game players and full FAAB on Saturday.

I have come to agree with the suggestion that there's little reason for a Friday night FAAB period when games start on Sunday. If we ran FAAB on Saturday at 1 pm ET it would be late enough for West Coasters, a full 24 hours in advance of Sunday's game and late enough for everyone to get injury updates. Just a thought for the future.

I'm not saying these are our options because I haven't fully discussed this with IT, but after receiving email responses and seeing posts here, it does make sense to consider both options above for 2013 and beyond. Thoughts?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:52 pm

Saturday morning is worse for me on CA time - I'd have to get up early to check/evaluate late news. Friday time is fine.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:05 pm

kjduke wrote:Saturday morning is worse for me on CA time - I'd have to get up early to check/evaluate late news. Friday time is fine.
1 pm ET = 10 am PT!!! C'mon Surfer Guy, you should be up before 10 am, right? :lol:

I'd be shocked if there is any NFL news Saturday morning KJ. Setting your bids on Friday night should get the job done. But there are two sides to everything, as I've found out through the years here. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:07 pm

You've heard from me already on this subject but I'll say it again with a new reason why...Thursday teams only for a Wednesday wire and then a full FAAB on Friday or Saturday (even better!) is my preference. I had a situation last week where I needed help at WR. I was desperate! With the new labor agreement the only real practices of the week that count are Thursday & Friday. Every fantasy relevant player seems to get Wednesday off. So I dropped Devery Henderson for some other crud because against GB he lit it up for 2 points. News comes out after the FAAB is run on Wednesday that Lance Moore is questionable with a hammy. We all know what happened after that. This also happened to me in week 2. I'm questioning why I let go of somebody but looking back it was the right move based on information available on Wednesday night.

So the fact that we have to do the FAAB on Wednesday not only handicaps our ability to choose who may get the best opportunity to play from the free agent pool but we could easily dump someone who could get an upgrade because of someone else's injury status. I think at this point the process we call blind bidding is just that!
Pat Sorge

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:10 pm

I like it the way it is, but appears I am in the minority. I would be ok for moving to the Wednesday only for Thursday games, but if that is the case, I would want the main waivers to stay on Friday. If we keep things the way they are, I wouldn't care if you moved the secondary waiver period to Saturday.

kjduke

Post by kjduke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
kjduke wrote:Saturday morning is worse for me on CA time - I'd have to get up early to check/evaluate late news. Friday time is fine.
1 pm ET = 10 am PT!!! C'mon Surfer Guy, you should be up before 10 am, right? :lol:

I'd be shocked if there is any NFL news Saturday morning KJ. Setting your bids on Friday night should get the job done. But there are two sides to everything, as I've found out through the years here. ;)
There is no "should get the job done" at this level of competition Greg! :twisted: I am always checking news near the deadline whenever possible.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 pm

I would be strongly in favor of #2

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:30 pm

I'm torn between Wednesday being a full FAAB or just Thursday players only.

It's true with full FAAB we don't have much information to go by for the Sunday/Monday players, and that's big. But if we go Thursday only players, it handcuffs us in a different way. What if the 2nd best free agent RB on the market that week is playing in the Thursday game and I need a RB? I would rather bid higher for the Sunday RB and a slightly lessor amount as a conditional bid for the Thursday player, as I normally would in the current format on Wednesday night. But now what do I do if it's only Thursday players? How much do I bid for the 2nd best RB when I know the best one won't be available until the later FAAB? I guess you could call that opportunity for additional "strategerizing," but I would call it confusion and indecision. And that's big, too.

Like I said I'm torn, just wanted to get a few thoughts out there for everyone else to chew on.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

abruski17

Post by abruski17 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:12 am

The idea of Thurday only FAAB is appealing because of the late-week news that is vital to decision-making. If the goal is to reward owners for informed decisions, and to take luck out, then it seems like a strong call to have the FAAB run for the majority of the player pool on FRI/ SAT. I like the idea of a Saturday run, but doing it in the morning seems to be needlessly in a hurry. You could wait and get the Monday night injury report by mid-day and also give owners a weekend day to organize their FAAB run. Win/win all around.