Wednesday/Friday Waivers

King of Queens

Re: Wednesday/Friday Waivers

Post by King of Queens » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:35 am

eliasond wrote: What if the 2nd best free agent RB on the market that week is playing in the Thursday game and I need a RB? I would rather bid higher for the Sunday RB and a slightly lessor amount as a conditional bid for the Thursday player, as I normally would in the current format on Wednesday night. But now what do I do if it's only Thursday players? How much do I bid for the 2nd best RB when I know the best one won't be available until the later FAAB? I guess you could call that opportunity for additional "strategerizing," but I would call it confusion and indecision. And that's big, too.
In this scenario, you'd have to decide on Wednesday how important that specific player is. It's the same thought process that owners go through in an auction. Say Arian Foster is already off the board. Ray Rice comes up for bidding, and you really want either him or LeSean McCoy. Do you go the extra dollar for Rice, or let him go and hope to get McCoy at a better "value"?

When you break it down, FAAB is really just one big simultaneous auction. In the Wednesday-for-Thursday-only proposal, you would have two "auctions" each week -- one small one for the Thursday players, and one large one for everyone else.

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:18 am

I apologize if this has been addressed as I have been in and out of this discussion.

I assume there are some people in the camp of running a full faab for all players Weds night before the Thursday game. Can I ask someone in that camp to give me the downside to running a limited faab just for players in the Thursday game and then running a full faab (say mid-day Saturday) for all the remaining players minus anyone who was dropped in the Thursday Faab?

Just trying to get educated here so I can make an informed decision on my where I stand on it.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm

Jack_Bauer wrote:I apologize if this has been addressed as I have been in and out of this discussion.

I assume there are some people in the camp of running a full faab for all players Weds night before the Thursday game. Can I ask someone in that camp to give me the downside to running a limited faab just for players in the Thursday game and then running a full faab (say mid-day Saturday) for all the remaining players minus anyone who was dropped in the Thursday Faab?

Just trying to get educated here so I can make an informed decision on my where I stand on it.
The reason(s) I like the full FAAB twice a week are as follows:

1) I start doing FAAB early Tuesday and tweak it Wednedsay. If (an assumption of course) I am on top of my game, I get a better chance at a player I want before the entire world is talking about him Thurs and Friday.

2) I really like having Friday night as the start of a weekend, with only a minor need to acquire someone if a player I intended on starting gets hurt or gets downgraded. It frees up some of my personal time considering I am in front of the TV all day Sunday and now all night Monday and Thursday. My family enjoys some of that Friday night time more than if it were a Wednesday night.

Pete

The Franchise

Post by The Franchise » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Jersey Dawg wrote:
Jack_Bauer wrote:I apologize if this has been addressed as I have been in and out of this discussion.

1) I start doing FAAB early Tuesday and tweak it Wednedsay. If (an assumption of course) I am on top of my game, I get a better chance at a player I want before the entire world is talking about him Thurs and Friday.

2) I really like having Friday night as the start of a weekend, with only a minor need to acquire someone if a player I intended on starting gets hurt or gets downgraded. It frees up some of my personal time considering I am in front of the TV all day Sunday and now all night Monday and Thursday. My family enjoys some of that Friday night time more than if it were a Wednesday night.

Pete

Exact same reasons for me
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

packman527

Post by packman527 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:17 pm

Ry's Guys wrote:You've heard from me already on this subject but I'll say it again with a new reason why...Thursday teams only for a Wednesday wire and then a full FAAB on Friday or Saturday (even better!) is my preference. I had a situation last week where I needed help at WR. I was desperate! With the new labor agreement the only real practices of the week that count are Thursday & Friday. Every fantasy relevant player seems to get Wednesday off. So I dropped Devery Henderson for some other crud because against GB he lit it up for 2 points. News comes out after the FAAB is run on Wednesday that Lance Moore is questionable with a hammy. We all know what happened after that. This also happened to me in week 2. I'm questioning why I let go of somebody but looking back it was the right move based on information available on Wednesday night.

So the fact that we have to do the FAAB on Wednesday not only handicaps our ability to choose who may get the best opportunity to play from the free agent pool but we could easily dump someone who could get an upgrade because of someone else's injury status. I think at this point the process we call blind bidding is just that!
I don't remember how I voted in the off-season, but after 5 weeks I am definitely in favor of the Wednesday night for Thursday players only as well, and totally agree with Rys Guys here. There is just way too much very important information that comes out about injuries late in the week. I too dropped Henderson in a league where I needed a starting WR this week, and with Bess on the wire I certainly figured he was a better option to stick in my lineup than Henderson as of Wednesday. But after Moore's late week hamstring news, and Henderson starting, I definitely wouldn't have dropped Henderson. Instead I picked up Bess, he put up a stinker, Henderson had a huge game in his spot start, and I lost by 6. Another example is a couple weeks ago with the whole F.Jackson/Spiller/Choice scenario. Many bid on Choice thinking he would get the lion's share of the carries that week, then it becomes apparent late in the week that both Jackson and Spiller will probably play and Choice was just a waste of FAAB money. Again, just way too much vital injury information comes out late in the week for full waivers to be on Wednesday IMO. Wednesday waivers may work in Yahoo/ESPN leagues where all you are risking is waiver priority, but with so much on the line here, and everyone wanting to be fully informed before having to place valuable FAAB dollars on the line, I think Friday/Saturday full waivers just makes way more sense.

I would be ok with the full waivers going either Friday or Saturday, but I think I would actually prefer it to go Friday night. Seems like too many family things would get in the way of people being able to look at their waiver info as much as they'd like Saturday morning. And as KJ stated, I am one that would be obsessively looking over my bids right up until deadline. I would rather be making lineup decisions and/or relaxing on Saturdays.

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:19 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Jersey Dawg wrote:

Pete

Exact same reasons for me
Thanks for the feedback. I respect all opinions and am find with how faab is now. Though I think what makes the fairest, best gaming experience needs to come before trying to guess which night is best for all the NFFC players to have social time with friends and family. I do lean more toward the second faab being run Saturday only because I would like to have protection against the unforeseen crazy Friday night or Sat night injury, DUI, wife beating, flu, spider bite, hurricane, collapsed dome roof situation that can occur that can stymie a fantasy owner who could not have seen it coming during the Friday faab run.

I initially voted to fun a full faab weds... I am now more in the camp of limited faab to just Thursday players and running a full faab later in the week for the same reasons... just too much happens as the week goes on that is information useful to determine faab bids. I rather not have to be doing as much guessing on Weds.

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:24 am

packman527 wrote:Another example is a couple weeks ago with the whole F.Jackson/Spiller/Choice scenario. Many bid on Choice thinking he would get the lion's share of the carries that week, then it becomes apparent late in the week that both Jackson and Spiller will probably play and Choice was just a waste of FAAB money. Again, just way too much vital injury information comes out late in the week for full waivers to be on Wednesday IMO. Wednesday waivers may work in Yahoo/ESPN leagues where all you are risking is waiver priority, but with so much on the line here, and everyone wanting to be fully informed before having to place valuable FAAB dollars on the line, I think Friday/Saturday full waivers just makes way more sense.

I would be ok with the full waivers going either Friday or Saturday, but I think I would actually prefer it to go Friday night. Seems like too many family things would get in the way of people being able to look at their waiver info as much as they'd like Saturday morning. And as KJ stated, I am one that would be obsessively looking over my bids right up until deadline. I would rather be making lineup decisions and/or relaxing on Saturdays.
This and more this. I agree with the limited idea for wed, just for thurs games. The whole choice, spiller, and F jax fiasco ate up half my FAAB. And then I didn't even end up using him.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:14 am

I think running Wednesday waivers for only Thursday players makes sense for two reasons:

1) As already mentioned multiple times, there's simply not enough information available to make good decisions for a full FAAB run on Wednesday. People are needlessly wasting FA money because the playing status of injured players is not clear by that time. Limiting it to Thursday players largely eliminates this guess work and reduces the luck factor.

2) Personally, I am not enjoying the stress and workload that is required early in the week to process all the information from the weekend, analyze my team's needs, see who is available on the WW, order my preferences, and then decide on bid amounts. While I guess some people play in High Stakes leagues as part of earning a living and don't mind the added work, I actually have this thing called a day job and I play FF mainly to be an enjoyable hobby. This early week workload is largely curbing the enjoyment factor for me. Limiting Wednesday waivers to Thursday players would largely relieve this early week pressure.

I'm fine with keeping the second FAAB run on Friday night, as the final practice reports are out by then. The teams playing Monday night tend to have full practices on Saturday, but those practice reports don't come out until late Saturday afternoon and that's really too late for the final FAAB run.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:06 am

Shrink Attack wrote:I think running Wednesday waivers for only Thursday players makes sense for two reasons:

1) As already mentioned multiple times, there's simply not enough information available to make good decisions for a full FAAB run on Wednesday. People are needlessly wasting FA money because the playing status of injured players is not clear by that time. Limiting it to Thursday players largely eliminates this guess work and reduces the luck factor.

2) Personally, I am not enjoying the stress and workload that is required early in the week to process all the information from the weekend, analyze my team's needs, see who is available on the WW, order my preferences, and then decide on bid amounts. While I guess some people play in High Stakes leagues as part of earning a living and don't mind the added work, I actually have this thing called a day job and I play FF mainly to be an enjoyable hobby. This early week workload is largely curbing the enjoyment factor for me. Limiting Wednesday waivers to Thursday players would largely relieve this early week pressure.

I'm fine with keeping the second FAAB run on Friday night, as the final practice reports are out by then. The teams playing Monday night tend to have full practices on Saturday, but those practice reports don't come out until late Saturday afternoon and that's really too late for the final FAAB run.
I could not agree more... Though I may be a little more comfy with a later sat faab run, but that is nitpicking. Great post.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:22 pm

Jack_Bauer wrote:
Shrink Attack wrote:I think running Wednesday waivers for only Thursday players makes sense for two reasons:

I could not agree more... Though I may be a little more comfy with a later sat faab run, but that is nitpicking. Great post.

from last year i liked the idea of only thurs night players on wed and either fri or sat night for the rest. i also understand some have tons of teams to deal with but to me it seems like the same amount of work , just different days. greg and tom always do what they can to improve the nffc and im sure this can at least be looked into and take whatever tweeks need to be made and do what is best for the majority.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN