biggest FA bust this year

BillyWaz

Re: biggest FA bust this year

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:21 pm

Coltsfan wrote:I was shocked to see how much $$$ folks were bidding on Brown. I have a hard time seeing the bust as I didn't see him as a long term solution. He was starting in place of a very productive running back. There is a very talented first round pick also at RB. The guy had been cut 7 times! I would think that whatever anyone got out of this guy was a huge gift! It wasn't like there was any chance of him becoming the guy in NY.

Wayne
I agree mostly with Wayne here. At the time however, (it is always easier to look at the situation 3 weeks later and use hindsight) David Wilson was lower than dirt, and let's face it......Ahmad Bradshaw isn't the picture of health himself. So I suppose I can see why many people went "all in".

Every Wednesday night is now "Christmas" for us, and we all want to open that brand new shiny toy....even if it only works for a week. :P Sometimes the "I have to have it now" attitude clouds our judgement on what the future will hold.

The toys tonight are obvious (without name dropping), and I'm sure many of them will end up like Andre Brown and spend the rest of their season with him on the "Island of Misfit Toys". :lol:

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Shrink Attack wrote:
chriseibl wrote:Have to disagree. I only started Brown for the Panthers game in the one league I got him and he netted me 20 points more than the guy I would have started in his place. I'd rather have those 20 points than the money I spent though I suppose some might feel differently. When it all comes down to it I bet a lot of (not all) teams' big free agent pickup will have netted less than 20 net points for them over their replacement.

Happy with Andre Brown :).
I guess I'm one of those that feel differently.

20 fantasy points is peanuts.
Only two RBs are averaging 20 or more points in the NFFC this season - Arian Foster and Ray Rice. That's it. If you get a 20-point performance in any week from a RB you've done extremely well. There simply isn't a lot of high-end production at the position this season so even if you only get one week of it from someone that could very well end up being money well spent.
I don't get it. Someone spends 60% of their entire FA for the whole season to gain 20 points and that's money well spent? What about all the other pickups with higher potential for which they are now priced out of the market? Sure, if that specific 20 points makes or breaks a season then that's worth it, but how often will that be the case? We all make lineup decisions every week that cost more than 20 points. One good Defense pickup for $12 can net 20 points.

If someone says they spent 60% of their FA money on Brown because they thought he was going to be a stud going forward, then that's understandable. But in the scheme of things, 20 points will be peanuts 98% of the time. To blow the majority of your FA money for the entire season for 20 points, and then say that's money well spent, just doesn't make much sense to me.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Like I said, it depends on how the season plays out. If those 20 points result in a team making the playoffs as opposed to missing out, it's clearly worth it in my opinion. None of us can predict the future. But with this game being a week-to-week proposition (sorry if I'm repeating this but I believe it to be the fundamental point I'm trying to make here) then whatever you can do each week to secure a win is worth it in my opinion. I think more and more playing aggressive is the way to go in fantasy football. Now much of that depends on your team's situation. It's a lot easier to be conservative if your roster has Foster, Ryan, Harvin and Gronk, for example. But if you're in a battle each week then doing all you can on that particular week becomes paramount in my opinion.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 pm

If I knew that 20 more points would get me into the playoffs then I would gladly spend 700 bucks on a one week guy like Brown to get me there. But my preference would be to try and land someone with at least a chance of a nice role moving forward.

Wayne

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:41 pm

Coltsfan wrote:If I knew that 20 more points would get me into the playoffs then I would gladly spend 700 bucks on a one week guy like Brown to get me there. But my preference would be to try and land someone with at least a chance of a nice role moving forward.

Wayne
I think everyone would. At the time, it appeared Brown could be that type of pickup. Bradshaw was hurt again and Brown looked great filling in. There was certainly reason to believe at the time Brown would be more than a one-week wonder as a FAAB pickup that week.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:55 pm

i think paul said it the best. how often does 20 pts in one week get you into the playoffs. also for $12 you can ez pick a def or kicker that you can get lucky with instead of blowing all your fa money. lets be real , he was not a lock in that one week either.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:18 pm

BLACKHAND wrote:i think paul said it the best. how often does 20 pts in one week get you into the playoffs. also for $12 you can ez pick a def or kicker that you can get lucky with instead of blowing all your fa money. lets be real , he was not a lock in that one week either.
the thing is, spending 60% of my budget on andre brown (and i only did this in one of my NFFC leagues) hasn't precluded me from making those $12 defense/kicker matchup plays that earn you points so i'm not sure how that argument comes into play when assessing whether $600 on brown was money well spent.

For my primetime team, i'm absolutely happy with the pickup (of course, i did not need to start him the game after the panther game). at the time of the purchase, i would have said it was the obvious move too for a bradshaw owner. i had what i thought was a pretty stacked team and it was/is difficult for me to envision any free agent cracking the starting lineup on that team long term. so the fact that i had ANYONE put up 20 more points than my starters would have was an unexpected benefit that i don't think could be duplicated by any remaining FA pickups without a huge dose of luck. it appeared andre brown also carved out a role as a clear backup so it also provided necessary insurance to a bradshaw owner. maybe it wasn't the right move for someone who started brown the following weeks expecting him to still have a significant role or for someone who needed a FA piece to be better than a player they were starting but that wasn't me and I have no buyer's remorse. :)

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:36 pm

I spent $430 on Brown. I HAD to win in week 3 and I did, with Brown's help. The runner up bid $404. I am very happy with the move, as it helped me win a week in a very competitive super league and I still have enough money left in free agency to pick up a few more decent free agents. Sure, I would have loved to get more than 1 week out of him. Who knows, maybe I still will. I would love to hear all of the critics of this pickup tell us of their brilliant free agent signings, when all is said and done. This particular move helped me win. Many free agent moves never help at all or make no difference. This did for me and I am satisfied with the FA money I spent.

thegambler

Post by thegambler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:17 am

i put brown down as a bust becasue i spent a lot of money on him and he has only produced and probably only will produce 1 game. i picked him up because i just lost fred jackson and was figuring that jackson would be gone a month. to boot several sites were saying that bradshaw's injury could linger and brown could be a very good fill in.

then after brown's great week sites were saying that brown will spilt carries.....well i guess i learned my lesson listening to the so called experts and their sites.

if i knew that brown would be good for only one week, then obvioulsy i would have never paid the kind of money i paid for him. i was hoping for a guy that i could start and fill in (decent flex) for the weeks until fred jackson was back.

i guess i am the only guy who started brown more then one week......

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 am

thegambler wrote:i put brown down as a bust becasue i spent a lot of money on him and he has only produced and probably only will produce 1 game. i picked him up because i just lost fred jackson and was figuring that jackson would be gone a month. to boot several sites were saying that bradshaw's injury could linger and brown could be a very good fill in.

then after brown's great week sites were saying that brown will spilt carries.....well i guess i learned my lesson listening to the so called experts and their sites.

if i knew that brown would be good for only one week, then obvioulsy i would have never paid the kind of money i paid for him. i was hoping for a guy that i could start and fill in (decent flex) for the weeks until fred jackson was back.

i guess i am the only guy who started brown more then one week......
Starting him the next week was a tough break. It wasn't a bad decision, pretty much everyone was expecting a 50/50 split when bradshaw came back. perhaps if Powell or Alex Green develop into reliable options then you can rue the money spent on Brown, though that's no given. Jackie Battle already seems like he'll fall short of someone you want in your lineup. I wonder how many other RBs will step up and have the opportunity to be part of fantasy starting lineups this year. Could be a couple, could be zero.