Week 6 Thoughts & Observations

Tom Kessenich

Week 6 Thoughts & Observations

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:04 am

Here are some random thoughts and observations on this week's action as I wonder what it's like to have a fantasy defense that scores touchdowns. That must be cool.

Well whataya know, the Packers can play some defense after all.

I think the Packers are better off without Jermichael Finley at this point. That way there's no temptation to throw him the ball and watch him drop it.

Is anyone who drafted Aaron Rodgers in the first round upset now? I didn't think so.

Looks like Jordy Nelson is back.

In case you've forgotten that touchdowns are gold in fantasy football I present to you Arian Foster's Week 6 production against the Packers.

At this point if you can figure out when Chris Johnson's going to have a good game you're a smarter - and braver - man than me. I'm done trying to figure that guy out.

I know Michael Vick's going to get pounded for the Eagles losing to Detroit but if Brent Celek catches an easy TD or if the officials don't blow a pass interference call on Celek in the end zone Philadelphia wins that game. Vick made some mistakes but he also made a number of great plays and by no means was he the reason why the Eagles lost that game.

I get a kick out of how the announcers get all worked up about Calvin Johnson not getting the ball and then he ends up with six receptions for 135 yards. Patience, people. Megatron's always going to get his.

The Falcons may be undefeated but that wasn't the way you take care of business at home against an inferior opponent. If the Raiders weren't the Raiders they would've won that game.

Speaking of the Raiders, maybe Darren McFadden gets things going the rest of the season but this sure looks like a team that's going to have to throw the ball a ton. It's just not happening for the Oakland ground game right now.

Remember when the Ravens had a shut-down defense?

Oh, if Joe Flacco wants to be considered an elite quarterback he better start playing a helluva lot better than he has the last two games.

Shonn Greene rushed for more yards than Jamaal Charles, Marshawn Lynch and Frank Gore. Combined. Just like everyone predicted.

Mark Sanchez threw for 82 yards and the Jets won by 26 points. Pretty sure everyone saw that coming.

For a guy who allegedly can't throw anymore, Peyton Manning sure isn't having much trouble ... you know ... throwing.

Looks like Antonio Gates isn't dead after all.

Nice second-half implosion, San Diego. That's two weeks in a row. Good thing you have a bye this week so you can't make it three in a row.

That Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing touchdowns thing sure was fun while it lasted, huh?

Maybe you can run on the San Francisco and Minnesota defenses after all.

Maybe the Browns have something in Brandon Weeden. Too bad he gets in half price at the movies.

A.J. Green sure is something.

After his career game, I wrote that I didn't trust Brian Hartline going forward and believed Davone Bess was the real value play among the Miami wide receivers. Just sayin.

Greg Zeurlein missed three field goals on Sunday, proving conclusively that the Earth is indeed flat.

Hey Chiefs fans who cheered when Matt Cassel got hurt - how's that Brady Quinn thing working out for ya?

The only person happier than Josh Freeman that Vincent Jackson signed with the Bucs is Mike Williams. He is loving life as the No. 2 WR and he's thriving in that role. He's become a very viable WR3 with WR2 upside.

RG3. Wow.

Russell Wilson just doing what Russell Wilson does.

It really is scary to think what Larry Fitzgerald could do if he just had an average QB throwing him the ball in Arizona.

Kyle Rudolph sure is good at catching touchdowns.

Nine quarterbacks topped 300 yards passing this week. Six of them lost. Only Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning and Matthew Stafford emerged victorious.

And finally, if you started Andy Dalton, Shonn Greene, Josh Gordon, Kyle Rudolph and the Denver defense this week, drinks are on you forever.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

boli34

Re: Week 6 Thoughts & Observations

Post by boli34 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 pm

I picked Denver defense up on friday for $3 and started them over the packers. As a Raiders fan and AFC west observer, I know that phillip rivers is done and is a turnover machine. Long gone are the days of him lobbing it up to his monster sized wrs as vjax is gone, gates is a shell of himself, floyd doesn't benefit from the #2 corner. He's the king of check down...force him to throw outside the numbers and those ugly passes get picked.

DonnyG.

Post by DonnyG. » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:01 pm

I used to feel that Andre Johnson was the best WR in real life over the last 8 years or so in the NFL but over the last two years my opinion has shifted in Fitz's direction. Route running, speed, blocking, hands. No disrespect to Calvin either but has anyone ever actually seen Fitzgerald drop a pass lately? Or how about ever? You're right Tom if he was just playing with a mediocre QB not to mention a running game and an OL it's pretty scary to think of what type of numbers he would be putting up.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:34 am

boli34 wrote:I picked Denver defense up on friday for $3 and started them over the packers. As a Raiders fan and AFC west observer, I know that phillip rivers is done and is a turnover machine. Long gone are the days of him lobbing it up to his monster sized wrs as vjax is gone, gates is a shell of himself, floyd doesn't benefit from the #2 corner. He's the king of check down...force him to throw outside the numbers and those ugly passes get picked.
That was a great move but I'm willing to bet that when you picked them up you didn't do so with the belief they would score not once but twice on Monday night. ;)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

boli34

Post by boli34 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
boli34 wrote:I picked Denver defense up on friday for $3 and started them over the packers. As a Raiders fan and AFC west observer, I know that phillip rivers is done and is a turnover machine. Long gone are the days of him lobbing it up to his monster sized wrs as vjax is gone, gates is a shell of himself, floyd doesn't benefit from the #2 corner. He's the king of check down...force him to throw outside the numbers and those ugly passes get picked.
That was a great move but I'm willing to bet that when you picked them up you didn't do so with the belief they would score not once but twice on Monday night. ;)
Ha figured they would get a few sacks with Gaither being out and a few turnovers with a chance of a score but never dreamed of 2. Hell I honestly didn't even need them as I already had the game in hand before the MNF game so the extra points helped :mrgreen:

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 am

boli34 wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:
Ha figured they would get a few sacks with Gaither being out and a few turnovers with a chance of a score but never dreamed of 2. Hell I honestly didn't even need them as I already had the game in hand before the MNF game so the extra points helped :mrgreen:
Great example of the skill and luck factor at work. Starting the Broncos' D for the reasons you outlined is an example of skill; having their defense shockingly go off for two TDs is the luck.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich