Evidence of best FAAB structure

JETS SB

Evidence of best FAAB structure

Post by JETS SB » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Look at this week's scenario - Jonathan Dwyer will be starter for Pittsburgh, with Batch as the backup, announced AFTER Wednesday Full FAAB. There was little competition for bids on both Dwyer and Batch in the Friday full FAAB. Saw $177 for Dwyer in one league, with $25 as the backup. There were higher amounts in some leagues.

If we change it to Wednesday for Thursday only and full FAAB Friday - look at this current scenario.

Since Felix Jones was a big pickup in the Wednesday FAAB, before the Dwyer announcement, having a Wednesday for Thursday games only FAAB and Full FAAB on Friday, those who bid $777 on Felix Jones on Wednesday, now have a few options in a Friday Full FAAB and may not have to bid as much for the only RB option available on Wednesday. They can pick from Jones or Dwyer or Batch, and its not an "all in" requirement. In the current setup, there was very little competition on Dwyer on Friday, compared to Jones on Wednesday.

Now you may say, well let them spend $777 on Felix Jones, better off for me. Well, if that is the case, then those who got Dwyer, got a steal, since the guy who bid on Jones for $777 on Wednesday, is out of the running. It all evens out and don't you think that ONE FULL FAAB on Friday would allow everyone the equal opportunity to bid on every available player (other than the Thursday game players) and with the most information that is available?

Sure, there will be the rare situation where someone playing in the Thursday game is available and hinders the bids on Friday, but more often than not, it will be the above scenario.

I have been on the other side of this arguement, saying that the Wednesday AND Friday Full FAAB is the best way to go, but I have to say, this current situation has changed my mind. Granted, Dwyer and Jones are probably 1 or 2 week players, but still, the fact that this occurred proves the change to new FAAB structure next year, is warranted.

The Franchise

Re: Evidence of best FAAB structure

Post by The Franchise » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:08 pm

That's assuming that Dwyer is a good start this week. I see very little difference in your argument. SO Felix would cost $500 on Friday instead of $700+ and Dwyer would cost $200+ on Friday instead of getting him for $5 on Wednesday. There was enough smoke on Wednesday to warrant a bid on Dwyer and see what happens. In your scenario he just ends up going for more money because more news came out that Mendy and Redman were officially out.

I'm not going to lie, it involves some work and grinding to get FAAB done on Wednesday, with a quick turnaround, but I do a lot of research before I make a decision on which guys I want to go after.

I still like how it's done. Still wouldn't like Thursday only players. The only suggestion would be to push back the deadline from 10PM Est to maybe 12AM Est or overnight. Allows a couple more hours to get things done once home from work and I'm sure West Coast players would find it helpful.
Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:25 pm

The Franchise wrote:That's assuming that Dwyer is a good start this week. I see very little difference in your argument. SO Felix would cost $500 on Friday instead of $700+ and Dwyer would cost $200+ on Friday instead of getting him for $5 on Wednesday. There was enough smoke on Wednesday to warrant a bid on Dwyer and see what happens. In your scenario he just ends up going for more money because more news came out that Mendy and Redman were officially out.

I'm not going to lie, it involves some work and grinding to get FAAB done on Wednesday, with a quick turnaround, but I do a lot of research before I make a decision on which guys I want to go after.

I still like how it's done. Still wouldn't like Thursday only players. The only suggestion would be to push back the deadline from 10PM Est to maybe 12AM Est or overnight. Allows a couple more hours to get things done once home from work and I'm sure West Coast players would find it helpful.
Yes exactly.. I want all of the information possible to make my bids for the week. There was smoke on Wednesday regarding the Steelers RB situation, but not enough for spending a lot of money.. So Dwyer goes for $50 on Wednesday and $200 on Friday and Jones goes for $700 on Wednesday instead of $500 on Friday. At least, I can look at the entire picture and make a decision, instead of guessing on Wednesday, and hoping no news comes out on Thursday night that alters what decision I made. I was not bidding on any of these players this week, so I cannot say it hurt me or didn't. I can see where, if I was in the situation of bidding on Felix Jones on Wednesday because of a bye week replacement, I would have liked to have known that Dwyer was going to be starting, to give me another option. It could have easily been the other way around where Jones became the starter on Friday and I was bidding on Dwyer Wednesday. Obviously, it wasn't the case, but if it was the other way around, I was not completely informed on Wednesday and I missed out on the better opportunity on Friday, because I spent my money on Wednesday.

Same thing applies to the availability of Jimmy Graham this week and being able to be completely informed, in order to bid on a tight end or not. Sure, it looked like he wasn't starting, but still, "knowing" he is not playing makes a big difference on how much I pay for a tight end and if I was conservative on my bidding on Wednesday and lost out on the good tight ends available, then my options are very limited on Friday.

Its about being as completely informed as possible and having the full FAAB on Friday does that, while still addressing the Thursday game, by having the Wednesday limited FAAB

Route C

Post by Route C » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:56 pm

Not sure why anyone would be a big fan of full FAAB on Wednesday. Full FAAB on Friday was always the standard. Most people were OK with it. So what changed? We now have Thursday night games almost all year long. So why don't we change only as much as the NFL by only bidding on the players in question (Thurs game players) instead of overkilling it by bidding on everyone early. We don't have 32 teams (minus bye weeks of course) playing on Thursday night so why bid on 32 rosters?
Shoot if it doesn't matter how much info we have then let's get this thing done on Tuesday AM or one hour after the Monday night game.
Personally I want as much news as I can get. This games hard enough as it is....why add to it!

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:42 pm

Some people like the early slow drafts so they can secure the "values" and "bargains" before their ADPs shoot up. However, for the vast majority of fantasy owners, drafting as close to Opening Day is preferable BY FAR. There's a reason we draft our big money teams between Labor Day Weekend and Opening Sunday -- more information equals fewer surprises equals better decisions.

So why should FAAB be any different?
Last edited by King of Queens on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:17 am

King of Queens wrote:Some people like the early slow drafts so they can secure the "values" and "bargains" before their ADPs shoot up. However, for the vast majority of fantasy owners, drafting as close to Opening Day is preferable BY FAR. There's a reason we draft our big money teams between Labor Day Weekend and Opening Sunday -- more information equals fewer surprises equals better decisions.

So why should FAAB be any different?
AMEN BROTHA!!!! 8-)
Pat Sorge