How good is the Bears Defense

JETS SB

How good is the Bears Defense

Post by JETS SB » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 am

I think most of you who may have been smart (lucky?) to draft the Bears Defense know what I am going to say before I say it. The Bears Defense is so far and away better than any other, in fantasy and in the NFL, it is stunning. In fantasy, the Bears D averages 19.5 points per game, over 6 points better than the next team. In the NFL, through 6 games, they have given up 78 points with no other team below 100 (San Fran next at 100). If you have watched their games, many of those 78 points they have given up (other than week 1) have been garbage time points and even in their loss to Green Bay, they only gave up 1 offensive TD on a 26 yard drive (the other TD was special teams).

They have 14 INTs and 5 of those went for TD's and, by the way, they also have Hester returning kicks..

Ok, so they aren't the 85 Bears or the 76 Steelers (who gave up an average of 3.1 pts per game over their last 8 games of the season, amazing), but if they continue at this level, they will have to be considered one of the best. I suppose its all about how they play the 2nd half, but other than Green Bay, they don't play another elite offense, so they have a chance to do great thngs.

If Cutler doesn't mess this up, the Bears have a chance to go pretty far this season. We wil see. Oh yeah, and their 2 running backs and big play wide receiver, are not too shabby either.

Rex needs to watch some film and take some notes. He can only dream to have a defense as good as this.

Tom Kessenich

Re: How good is the Bears Defense

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:54 am

I think they're the best defense in the NFL this season and the only defense in fantasy you start every week without worry. There are a few other defenses you can safely start most of the time as well (like the 49ers) but I think the Bears are the only one that you don't give a second thought too regardless of matchup.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:58 am

It's amazing to watch how NFL teams try to attack this Bears' defense and how stupid they can be at times. Urlacher and Briggs are as good a LB tandem as you'll find and if you think you can just play smash mouth football against the Bears you are crazy. The Lions came out early and ran on their first two plays of several series in a row and got nowhere. All that did was put Stafford in 3rd and long situations and allow Julius Peppers & Co to pin back their ears and get after the QB. It was play calling done by someone who thought he could outmuscle the Bears, which isn't going to happen.

Why have the Green Bay Packers had some success against this defense in recent meetings? Because they spread out this defense with 4 and 5 wideouts. They make Briggs cover a tight end and Urlacher drop back more often into the zone defense. The Bears play the Tampa 2 defense with their safeties way back, leaving the middle of the field open. You need wideouts who can take the safeties deep (like Jennings when he's healthy) and find receivers who can work the middle and beat these linebackers. Then you need a QB who can read the blitzes and fake blitzes by Urlacher and Briggs and get rid of the ball quickly. Good, quick decisions by the QB.

This is a good defense, no doubt. But there are holes in a Tampa 2 defense. This isn't rocket science and while Tillman is playing well their safeties aren't the best in the league. You have to attack this defense by spreading out the linebackers and not just letting them dominate the middle the whole game. I'm with you that this is a fantastic fantasy defense and among the best defenses in the NFL and their schedule looks good going forward with bad weather coming. If they stay healthy, they will be a force down the stretch. But offensive coordinators have to attack this defense differently than Detroit did last night and if they do they can have success against them. This isn't the '85 Bears we're talking about.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sack

Post by Sack » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:21 am

Next up - Cam Newton! "Good, quick decisions by the QB."

Doesn't look like we will find that right team to attack them next week. ;)

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:30 am

Sack wrote:Next up - Cam Newton! "Good, quick decisions by the QB."

Doesn't look like we will find that right team to attack them next week. ;)
The funny thing is the Lions ran the ball pretty well last night on Chicago. LeShoure did well. One would think that a backfield comprised of Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams would make a point to take note of that and come in next Sunday and plan on trying to run it 30-35 times if possible, especially given how poorly Cam is playing. But given the insane offensive approach the Panthers currently employ, my guess is Stewart and Williams will struggle to get more than 10-15 carries combined per usual.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:35 am

Greg, I am going to have to disagree with you. When you said the Lions were running the ball on the first 2 downs and throwing on 3rd down on the first few possessions, I was puzzled. It wasn't the game I was watching. The Lions threw the ball on 4 of the first 6 plays from.scrimmage and I think like 15 of the first 20 plays. Stafford was constantly throwing. To me, changing up with Leshoure was the one bright spot. Mostly it was Stafford having no.protection and Calvin Johnson getting blanketed by Tillman. This isn't the Bears of last year. This defense held Rodgers to 219 yds and one TD drive of 26 yds. This defense is absolutely dominant. Last year, you are right, the Packers did have success against them but this defense looks like the best shutdown defense we have seen in a long time, playing in a pretty good offensive division.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:00 pm

JETS SB wrote:Greg, I am going to have to disagree with you. When you said the Lions were running the ball on the first 2 downs and throwing on 3rd down on the first few possessions, I was puzzled. It wasn't the game I was watching. The Lions threw the ball on 4 of the first 6 plays from.scrimmage and I think like 15 of the first 20 plays. Stafford was constantly throwing. To me, changing up with Leshoure was the one bright spot. Mostly it was Stafford having no.protection and Calvin Johnson getting blanketed by Tillman. This isn't the Bears of last year. This defense held Rodgers to 219 yds and one TD drive of 26 yds. This defense is absolutely dominant. Last year, you are right, the Packers did have success against them but this defense looks like the best shutdown defense we have seen in a long time, playing in a pretty good offensive division.
Was just about to type this. If the Bears are going to sit back, you attack them by running it right at them. LeShoure had a lot more success than I thought he would.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:09 pm

BillyWaz wrote:LeShoure had a lot more success than I thought he would.
I was surprised too. That's why the Panthers should build their game plan this week around running it 30-35 times if possible. I haven't coached a day in the NFL and that strikes me as extremely obvious.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:24 pm

I was there last night and the defense played great but Detroit played right into the Bears strengths and Stafford was downright awful! He overthrew so many receivers the entire night. When he did hit them they were so surprised they dropped half of them. You can run on this defense between the 20's but they get strong near the goalline. They look for turnovers and usually get them.
The Bears opponents are averaging an NFL low 19.2 attempts per game this year! By comparison the "stout" Ravens D has had the ball run on them an average of 35.7 times per game!

Indy Brown 9
GB Benson 20
St. Louis S. Jackson 11
Dallas D. Murray 11
Jax MJD 12
Det. Leshoure 12

Those are rushing attempts by the lead back on the teams the Bears have played so far. I know it's hard to run when you get behind and the Bears have led most of their games this year but you can not abandon the run! Their biggest halftime lead this year is 10. You have to stick with the run. Leshoure had some BIG lanes to run thru last night. They'd get 12 yards and then throw the ball 3 times in a row. This is definitely not the 1985 Bears! They are opportunists. If they don't get turnovers they are a below average team. I heard a stat yesterday on the way to the game that teams that win the turnover battle win around 70% of their games. The Bears (under Lovie) in that same time period win 84.3% of the games they win the turnover battle! So don't turn it over and you'll win and don't forget to run the ball!
Pat Sorge

kingraiders

Post by kingraiders » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Nice grab by everyone precient enought to draft them. Sadly, I'm a Bears fan who thought that age and a weak secondary would make them a very pedestrian DEF this year, combined with the fact that Urlacher's knees were a top secret mystery heading into the season. Add to the mix the fact that they had a very underperforming DL, there really wasn't alot to like from this crew just a couple short months ago.

It certainly has been great to see them playing the way they have, and the trademark Lovie-turnovers continue to be a big part of their success. I think the biggest improvement has been Conte and Major Wright's development at Safety, and Tillman has been outstanding. Keeping opponents under 80 pts, while the rest of NFL at triple digits, pretty impressive.