And then we have fantasy football

Sandman62

Re: And then we have fantasy football

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 am

Greg,

Do you have similar data for the top 10 in scoring each year?

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 am

I hear ya Greg!!! Hey, your list has 3 more people than I would have thought!!!

If the gentleman who thinks fantasy football is 95% skill over the long-term is still out there…what do you make of the results that only 3 owners have multiple top 10 finishes in nine years?

Also, interestingly enough, the #1 ranked Classic player in the NFFC has never made the Top 10 overall. If skill was that much of a determining factor, how could this be?

Is it POSSIBLE the Championship round of any football event (NFFC, FFPC) is really a slot machine in action, ie skill is virtually non-existent?

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:29 am

This thread is getting old fast. No matter what you might say because of your frustration or whatever will never change the FACT that there is skill involved in this game and comparing the championship to a slot machine is just plain idiotic.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:40 am

JETS SB wrote:No matter what you might say because of your frustration or whatever will never change the FACT that there is skill involved in this game and comparing the championship to a slot machine is just plain idiotic.
Whether I'm frustrated or not, I can comment on this subject, no?

Since you talk about FACTS, can you comment on these two FACTS?

1. only 3 owners have multiple top 10 finishes in eight years

2. the #1 ranked Classic player in the NFFC has never made the Top 10 overall

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:47 am

Don Draper wrote:
JETS SB wrote:No matter what you might say because of your frustration or whatever will never change the FACT that there is skill involved in this game and comparing the championship to a slot machine is just plain idiotic.
Whether I'm frustrated or not, I can comment on this subject, no?

Since you talk about FACTS, can you comment on these two FACTS?

1. only 3 owners have multiple top 10 finishes in eight years

2. the #1 ranked Classic player in the NFFC has never made the Top 10 overall
Well, you did win the $100,000 grand prize in 2004 with a DOMINANT team that was skillfully set up for the Championship Round. There was some skill involved in winning that title, wasn't there? You definitely had Lady Luck on your side those last three weeks, but you don't finish second in a league with Fat Perez and Rick Hart and many other good players that first year and then dominate in the Championship Round without some skill, wouldn't you say? And while Billy is a top player, he hasn't had good runs in the Championship Round.

Fantasy football is set up MUCH more differently than baseball. In baseball, the most skilled player gets more accumulated stats through 26 weeks than his/her peers and does it in 10 categories. There's an incredible skill set needed there. In fantasy football, the goal is to top your league mates after 13 weeks and then hope and pray that your players get hot for 3 weeks. The most skilled player can finish outside the Top 10 in fantasy football, just like the most skilled poker player can lose at any time in a big tournament.

This argument goes round 'n round each year and each year we all line back up for another run through the football machine. No matter what combination of skill vs. luck there is here, the fun factor remains 100 percent and the frustration remains 110 percent. Keep giving it 110 percent folks and you won't be disappointed.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:53 am

The one thing I will say between the two sports is that there is a higher churn rate in fantasy football than fantasy baseball and that can be attributed to the frustration factor or the skill vs. luck factor (or both). You know as well as I do Mark that in the NFBC the top players are back every single year and so are the not-so-top players. Fantasy football makes the MLB season so much more fun and the die-hards are back each year and back for more events each year.

Football seems to have more of a churn rate. Heck, some of our $100,000 winners don't even compete anymore. Look at the Top 10 lists and you'll see names on there who haven't been back in years. Something happens that makes people move on in football. And maybe the 14-team format does that more than the 12-team format, I don't know. But it's tough and it is surprising that only 3 players in 9 years have finished in the Top 10 TWICE. If we did the same list in the NFBC we'd have many times more names. Heck, Jupinka has won 5 NFBC league titles and Lindy has won 2 overall titles. And those are 15-team leagues.

So the two sports are different and there are different percentages of skill vs. luck. But we probably all knew that before the start of this thread. Those who are at the top now feel very fortunate -- luck, even -- and aren't apologizing to you or anyone else right now!! :D I'd be smiling all the way to the bank, too, and not caring what the next guy thinks. ;)
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:56 am

From my first post in the thread..."I play fantasy football, but I don’t like it." ;)

I'm sure you'll see me lined up for more pain next year!!! :lol:

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Don Draper wrote:I hear ya Greg!!! Hey, your list has 3 more people than I would have thought!!!

If the gentleman who thinks fantasy football is 95% skill over the long-term is still out there…what do you make of the results that only 3 owners have multiple top 10 finishes in nine years?

Also, interestingly enough, the #1 ranked Classic player in the NFFC has never made the Top 10 overall. If skill was that much of a determining factor, how could this be?

Is it POSSIBLE the Championship round of any football event (NFFC, FFPC) is really a slot machine in action, ie skill is virtually non-existent?

Don,

I think that your reasoning is off here. I don't remember anyone suggesting that skill is based on high finishes in the 3 week race.

Wayne

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Coltsfan wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Don,

I think that your reasoning is off here. I don't remember anyone suggesting that skill is based on high finishes in the 3 week race.

Wayne
So are you saying the Championship round most closely resembles a pull at the slot machine lever?

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:37 pm

My goal at the start of every season is to win my league. I am competing against the other 11 individuals in my group for a grand prize.

Anything won after that in the championship round is pure gravy.

As for Luck vs. Skill - I have not the faintest idea what the percentages are. - Anything can happen in a head to head contest, but unless you really know what you are doing, I can't see "Luck" carrying you through an entire season.

I got "Lucky" this year. I loved Aaron Hernandez. Had him earmarked in a bunch of drafts and did not get him in a single one. Instead I had to "Settle" for my fall back TE, Tony Gonzalez a few rounds later.

W
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!