NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

Greg Ambrosius

Re: NFFC Rules Discussion For 2013

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Route C wrote::o
It's not an IT problem because obviously doing a Wednesday only FAAB for players in the Thursday game is tougher to do technically than just opening the floodgates on Friday, Jeff. And it's not about those owners who have 5 or more teams; there are other factors that I don't believe would help the game. I'll let players debate the merits of your suggestion. From an operator's standpoint, I have my own thoughts there, but if it was overwhelmingly wanted we would consider it just like we do with any rules discussion. So let the masses speak.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:24 pm

I don't know if this one's been brought up before, but... in the national events, I understand the need to determine the playoff participants after 13 weeks (to reset the scores to level the competition across leagues, etc.). And only 2 teams (3 in Classic) from each league make it to the national playoffs. But why can't the rest of each league continue a regular playoff for the last 3 weeks, using the top 4 teams, like in Satellite and other non-national leagues?

I get it that people like a big chunk of money on top for the national playoffs. But now that there's additional money in each league prize fund too, why not reward another good team or two by allowing 4 into the league playoffs? I think this ratio is similar to how most local leagues work and am just thinking we can have our cake and eat it too - a great national overall playoff with the current team limits, as well as a league playoff that involves more than just 2 teams.

Shrink Attack

Post by Shrink Attack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Sandman62 wrote:I don't know if this one's been brought up before, but... in the national events, I understand the need to determine the playoff participants after 13 weeks (to reset the scores to level the competition across leagues, etc.). And only 2 teams (3 in Classic) from each league make it to the national playoffs.
Mike...3 teams from each league make it to the Championship Round in the PrimeTime as well.

15. League Structure

Each league will consist of 12 teams competing in a head-to-head plus total points format for the league championship. The NFFC Primetime will run from Week 1 through Week 13 in a league format, with each team playing every other team once in head-to-head competition plus two weeks of “all play”, where the top six scoring teams in the league earn a Win and the lowest six scoring teams in each league earn a Loss. The “All Play” format this year will be held in Weeks 1 and 2. After Week 13, three teams from each league earn a spot in the Championship Round: 1) Best head-to-head record with total points being the tie-breaker; 2) most total points not including the team with the best head-to-head record; and 3) next team with most total points. Any team outside of the top three in each league that finishes in the top 15 percent of the total number of teams (Top 81 if we finish with 540 total teams) also can earn a Wild Card spot in the Championship Round if they didn’t earn a spot through their league finish. All of the teams in the Championship Round will carry their weekly scoring average from the first 13 weeks of the regular season into the Championship Round and add that score to their point totals in Weeks 14, 15 and 16 to produce their playoff scoring total. The team with the most points in the Championship Round wins the $150,000 grand prize.
"Deserve" ain't got nothin' to do with it
---Clint Eastwood in The Unforgiven

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:36 am

Thanks for the correction.

My point though is still "Why do the league winners have to be determined after just 13 weeks instead of 16, when it seems that only the national playoff participants are needed that early?".

Note that I'm not advocating a head-to-head playoff. Just the same format as the overall national contest: 13-week regular season points average, plus scores from weeks 14-16 - but among the top 4 league teams after 13 weeks.

JD CUBE

Post by JD CUBE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:10 pm

For what it is worth:

1. I think the current FAAB process is the best way to handle Thursday night games so that all FA players are considered from the same pool with a second bite being given after Wednesday night.

2. These Playoffs / League championship are a great system.

3. For full disclosure, I hate change.

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Here is the bottom line - and I don't think anyone can dispute this -

As long as the rules and FA set up are within the parameters of what we would deem acceptable, and EVERYONE in the league has to follow the same identical rules, then it is all semantics.

I personally like 6 pts for TD, Two waiver periods, and a POINTS priority league where Head to Head is not as important as consistent point getting through an entire season.

That being said, I can see the other side of any of these arguments.

There are no universal absolutes for Fantasy Football. Some leagues offer 1.5 for TE catches, (uuugh), and 4 pts for QB TD's - Heck, there are no absolutes in sports in general. Case in point - The MLB. One league has a DH, the other does NOT. As long as all the teams in each league have to follow that league's rule, then it is fair and balanced.

My point is the discussion and the debate is healthy, but in the final analysis none of it is of dire importance. Unless something absurd is proposed like 38 points for a first quarter touchdown. The team that drafts best, manages best, and yes.... has a bit of luck, will win.

My long winded 2 cents - Love this league - and the dialogue

Will Lopez
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:38 am

wiljiro wrote: My long winded 2 cents - Love this league - and the dialogue

Will Lopez
Essentially, what he said. Here have my 8 cents to add to your 2 cents. :mrgreen:

ArnCen

Post by ArnCen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 am

I appreciate you guys asking for feedback.

I prefer the FAAB system currently in place - no change.

I prefer the scoring change you suggest where individual players gets points for ST TDs.

Arn

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:15 am

ChiTwn wrote:
wiljiro wrote: My long winded 2 cents - Love this league - and the dialogue

Will Lopez
Essentially, what he said. Here have my 8 cents to add to your 2 cents. :mrgreen:
All feedback on Rules Changes is appreciated. We've had a good discussion so far and even though the dialogue went in a lot of different directions I think a few things are obvious. We'll get through Thanksgiving and then send out a survey on a number of items, not just Rules Changes and see what you folks think about the NFFC. So far I don't see a lot of drastic changes for 2013, but let's see what the masses say when the survey goes out. I wasn't sure about FAAB, but it does seem like many of you have adjusted to the Wednesday full FAAB and that's great by us. I was curious to see what the feedback would be.

Thanks again and keep the opinions coming. So far I like what I've seen.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

gorgo

Post by gorgo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:41 pm

I would like to suggest we add blocked field goals and x points to the dst stats and maybe a tenth of point for tackles to further differentiate the scoring for the dst Adding .o25 for return yards as well might be a way to make dst scoring more interesting. i like the FAAB system the way it is currently and the return rule change sounds good too. I think that anything that adds more scoring sounds good. I really wish they would legalize steroids players missing time is killing me this year. BRING BACK THE ROIDS :mrgreen: