I hate this time of the year...

HOF

I hate this time of the year...

Post by HOF » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:09 pm

With all the dodgy roster moves it just takes the fun outta the game.

Although this is NO WHERE near the scale of whats going on in other leagues I missed a golden opportunity to gain on the league leader last week when an owner didnt do his lineup and started Rodgers. His only QB on his bench, Dalton, scored enough pts that he would have won the game and thus brought me within one game of the league leader in the W/L column with us battling it out next week for literally the league title record wise.

But alas...its turned into a Yahoo league.

Sad.

CoMoHusker

Re: I hate this time of the year...

Post by CoMoHusker » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:17 am

This is primarily the one unfortunate thing about FFB and I'm not sure how Greg and Tom could go about managing it. In your example, this particular owner had a playable backup QB that should have been inserted into their lineup. In that scenario it would be nice if the "system" would automatically make that substitution. But then again, what do you do if the team had two QB's on their roster and both were on a bye? There lies the entire problem of then Greg and Tom having to manage rosters which could be an absolute nightmare.

I'm in an extremely competitive auction keeper league where an owner is fined five auction dollars for next year if they ever start a player on a bye week. Three such occurrences and the owner is banned from the league for life. Seems harsh but we feel the competitive balance should never be compromised and each owner should run their team with integrity for the duration of the season. Obviously, something like this is much easier to implement with just 14 teams instead of the thousands that are part of the NFFC.

Again, I feel your frustration but I'm not sure what the solution is.
Go Big Red!

got heeem

Post by got heeem » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 am

they are never going to mess with manageing anyones team ever .if they did it would be the last time a lot a people would ever play here again.i would never want them to touch my teams .

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:19 am

Got heem,

To me, having an automated system that pulls players listed as OUT or on BYE if there is a viable alternative on the bench is not an example of "greg and tom managing teams." I am not sure how it can be done, but I have to believe something can be done about this. The problem may not be able to be totally eliminated, but it certainly can be improved upon.

What should the NFFC brass be more worried about? The commited NFFC player having his experience ruined or the NFFC player who quit who you think might be upset if their roster was mildly changed to what it obviously should be?

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:33 am

What if my opponent late in the season still has a playoff shot via H2H record and I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it into the playoffs via points? And I decide that, I'd sure rather face HIM in the playoffs for the extra prize money than the owner whose record he would exceed by beating me?

In such a case, isn't it my [perhaps $1500 or more] prerogative to intentionally lose that game?

Not saying I've ever done this or ever would, but there's nothing illegal about it - especially given the loose interpretation and enforcement of "sabotage" in the rules.

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:47 pm

It sucks when someone doesn't set their lineup. It happens by mistake more than quitting I think. Some weeks people have a lot going on. Thanksgiving week is when this thread takes off. Not a fan of having a computer change my lineup. What if the owner from above had Dalton and another QB? You can lose by the choice and another owner may win by the choice. I feel it would encourage or at least make it easier for an owner to bail on his team knowing at least A lineup was going to be placed.
Has anyone played in a best ball league with FAAB during the season? I have done the draft champions, but interested how that would work played out like a regular league. At least if someone quits on free agents weekly rosters are fair across the board.

HOF

Post by HOF » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:10 pm

In my case he only had dalton on the bench. So ya it hurts more than if he had more than one option.

KenGill

Post by KenGill » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:19 pm

"I'm not sure what the solution is"
----------------------------------------------------
The solution is, the software should be programed that it is IMPOSSIBLE for a team to have a bye week player in the lineup, OR a player on IR, in their starting lineup. Unless of course, there are no other options on his roster.

Problem solved.
I never lost a game. I only ran out of time. Bobby Layne
Kid....if you're going to make it in this league, you're going to have to learn to drink. Bobby Layne

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:19 pm

Sandman62 wrote:What if my opponent late in the season still has a playoff shot via H2H record and I'm pretty sure I'm going to make it into the playoffs via points? And I decide that, I'd sure rather face HIM in the playoffs for the extra prize money than the owner whose record he would exceed by beating me?

In such a case, isn't it my [perhaps $1500 or more] prerogative to intentionally lose that game?

Not saying I've ever done this or ever would, but there's nothing illegal about it - especially given the loose interpretation and enforcement of "sabotage" in the rules.

In this very unlikely event, the owner can state his intentions and I think everyone would be fine with that. It is the absentee owner that is the problem. Maybe there can be a way that a league can raise a flag or "throw a red flag" when one of these situations comes up and the owner can explain that he is purposely losing to benefit his own team. There has to be something that can be done about this given how serious an issue it clearly is and how technology has allowed us up to the second access to teams.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:04 pm

From Dwayne Bowe getting knocked out and getting a zero to the HORRIBLE Danario Alexander TD (seriously, how can they call that a TD?) this was a pretty crappy fantasy day! :(

That is why I hate this time of year. :lol: