tiebreaker question.

HOF

tiebreaker question.

Post by HOF » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:10 pm

I am curious to why if half the importance of the leagues is head to head record then why is the tiebreaker between two teams is not their head to head matchup the first tiebreaker?

In my league neither league head to head winner will have the most points but I think whoever won their head to head match up should move forward versus the top point scorer.

Otherwise I feel this might as well just be a total points competition.

Thanks

CALI CARTEL

Re: tiebreaker question.

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 am

Because you make the whole 13 week season dependent on what happened when you were randomly matched up with another team for a single week, then randomly tied that team in an arbitrary Wins category. Why would be it be fair to judge a tie breaker on a 1-week match up where a team might've had multiple key starters out on a bye week, rather than 13-weeks of results from both teams?

I use H2H as a tiebreaker in a home league, but only where the teams play twice (Division) -- I figure if you go 2-0 you deserve to win the tie, but if it's 1-1 it just moves on to the next step (Total Points). For teams that didn't play twice, the Total Points goes before the H2H, which virtually eliminates it since the league uses decimal scoring.

HOF

Post by HOF » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 pm

It all depends if the two going H2H actually faced off during bye weeks.

I am just in the mentality that if I tied with you in head to head record and I beat you when we faced off..i should go in.

Just old school mentality....we tied..but i beat you..i should advance.

Mirror what the NFL does.

Just my two cents is all.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:04 am

In real sports, it makes sense since you played defense against the other team physically on the field. But you'd have no way to to play defense and "stop" other teams from scoring in fantasy, it's just luck that you squared off in that random week -- should that be the final determining factor if the other team severely beat you in scoring over 13 full weeks, rather than you maybe slightly beating him in 1 week?

It could be a secondary tiebreaker, but full season points are way more important and indicative of the "better" team.

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 am

Two words why H2H against an opponent can NOT be a tiebreaker - BYE Weeks

What if you played a team on a week when you had 4 guys on Bye? Is that a truly a fair indicator?

Wiljiro
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 am

CALI CARTEL wrote:In real sports, it makes sense since you played defense against the other team physically on the field. But you'd have no way to to play defense and "stop" other teams from scoring in fantasy, it's just luck that you squared off in that random week -- should that be the final determining factor if the other team severely beat you in scoring over 13 full weeks, rather than you maybe slightly beating him in 1 week?

It could be a secondary tiebreaker, but full season points are way more important and indicative of the "better" team.
That is exactly the point....but....

Hmmmm what if you could play defense in fantasy sports?

What about for the purposes of the head to head only (all points would count as normal towards the total points race) you could play a 75% block on one player, 50% on a 2nd player and 25% on a 3rd player. You would add a real tactical element to defending your opponents line-up. I actually love this idea and think it could breath new life into H2H.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:48 pm

mattjb wrote:
CALI CARTEL wrote:In real sports, it makes sense since you played defense against the other team physically on the field. But you'd have no way to to play defense and "stop" other teams from scoring in fantasy, it's just luck that you squared off in that random week -- should that be the final determining factor if the other team severely beat you in scoring over 13 full weeks, rather than you maybe slightly beating him in 1 week?

What about for the purposes of the head to head only (all points would count as normal towards the total points race) you could play a 75% block on one player, 50% on a 2nd player and 25% on a 3rd player. You would add a real tactical element to defending your opponents line-up. I actually love this idea and think it could breath new life into H2H.
As interesting as that might be for a home league, you'll NEVER see this in a nationwide game -- especially since it not only requires teams to set their own lineups, but they have to respond and act on their OPPONENTS lineup. You'd also have to move the lineup deadline up to like Saturday Night to allow your opponent to make their choices from your team.

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:52 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:
mattjb wrote:

As interesting as that might be for a home league, you'll NEVER see this in a nationwide game -- especially since it not only requires teams to set their own lineups, but they have to respond and act on their OPPONENTS lineup. You'd also have to move the lineup deadline up to like Saturday Night to allow your opponent to make their choices from your team.
You're probably right and I intend to bring this up for my home league as a test run.

You could make it so you were placing your % 'blocks' on QB / RBS / WRs / TEs / Kicker & Def - units rather than individuals - that would take away the need for changing line-up deadlines.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:01 pm

15 years ago there was a site called "Sandbox" that ran fantasy games -- they ran a game similar to your concept, but it involved IDP, with something like 4 IDP players per team, 1 DL, 1 LB, 1 DB and 1 Flex, but your Flex player determined how you affected the other team:

Extra DL = -5% on QB, -5% on RB, +10% on WR/TE
Extra LB = 0% on QB, -5% on RB, +5% on WR/TE
Extra DB = -5% on QB, +10% on RB, -5% on WR/TE

Something like that, don't remember exactly, but it was a pretty cool format that you could tweak a little to make your own.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:
mattjb wrote:

Actually WCOFF once utilized the H2H tiebreaker.....that is until overwhelming negative public response convinced them to change it.