Results of NFFC Rules Survey

Coltsfan

Re: Results of NFFC Rules Survey

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:07 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
Coltsfan wrote:If Julian Edelman is in on defense and he intercepts a ball and returns it for a touchdown AND someone is playing him at WR in their league, will he get 6 points for the TD?

Wayne
Careful Wayne. You may be "overcomplicating" things too. :P
http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p181848

And I thought I had an original thought.....lol. So now I'm thinking like Sandman. Let the Apocolypse begin! :mrgreen:

Wayne

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:18 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
BillyWaz wrote:My own player in MY lineup can actually cause me to have points against me.
But he WASN'T your player when on special teams plays; you drafted him as an offensive player. Someone else drafted that DST. That's THEIR player at that point.

And news flash: the entire offense is robbed of a drive whenever ANY player scores a ST TD - not just YOUR player robbed when HE scores. :P

Like others, I'll live with whichever way this goes, as there just aren't that many cases to make a big difference.

We've pointed out our rationale; some disagree. But that doesn't mean we're just stubborn and resist all change. We could just as easily say "Some folks just wanna change everything to suit their own personal history - no matter how infrequent they've been burnt by a rule". But we don't. ;)
So, in the end, if it doesn't have that much of an effect on anything, as you stated in other posts, and the majority voted for the change, why not make the change? It is fair and most owners want it. Right now, its up to Tom/Greg. Either way, its not a big deal.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
BillyWaz wrote:My own player in MY lineup can actually cause me to have points against me.
But he WASN'T your player when on special teams plays; you drafted him as an offensive player. Someone else drafted that DST. That's THEIR player at that point.

And news flash: the entire offense is robbed of a drive whenever ANY player scores a ST TD - not just YOUR player robbed when HE scores. :P

Like others, I'll live with whichever way this goes, as there just aren't that many cases to make a big difference.

We've pointed out our rationale; some disagree. But that doesn't mean we're just stubborn and resist all change. We could just as easily say "Some folks just wanna change everything to suit their own personal history - no matter how infrequent they've been burnt by a rule". But we don't. ;)
I disagree with you on the fact he is still not my player, Mike. When Randall Cobb, Percy Harvin, etc. return a kick or a punt I feel I should be rewarded for that. I also wouldn't have a problem with Edelman playing defense and returning a TD for a score and receiving points.

And yes, I am aware there are OTHER players that wouldn't receive points as well.

No need for diagrams, charts, stats, etc......we will just have to agree to disagree on this one, Mike. :D

As a disclaimer, if the NFFC doesn't decide to implement this rule, it is really no big deal to me (or any of the other stuff voted on) I just think this particular rule would add to the enjoyment of the game.

The NFFC will still be getting the majority of my fantasy spending next year regardless of what is decided. ;)

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:31 pm

"2. I really hoped that we weren't going to double dip the points on punt and kickoff returns. I know it's a small change but I guess it's just personal preference. The ironic part is that if you're going to count fumbles against the player then most return players will be more likely to go negative on points than to post positive points because of return td's. I'm really not sure what this accomplishes."

Completely agree Wayne, most players will take a few -2's and 0 TDs. It'll definitely result in a negative return score on the year for some players... awesome

"3. I guess the -2 per interception is the one I like the least here. I'm just guessing here but a lot of interceptions are not the QB's fault. Now they are going negative for something that they didn't do. (Receiver runs wrong route, receiver falls down, hail mary.) I assume that we will see the better QB's go even earlier now....."

Again, I completely agree Wayne. I already can't stand it I get punished on a tipped ball or hail mary or something, now it's going to hurt twice as much? AWESOME!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

JETS SB wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:

So, in the end, if it doesn't have that much of an effect on anything, as you stated in other posts, and the majority voted for the change, why not make the change? It is fair and most owners want it. Right now, its up to Tom/Greg. Either way, its not a big deal.
I'm not saying NOT to make the change. Just explaining that those of us who voted against it did so for what we believe are legitimate reasons; not cuz we just resist all change.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 pm

I think, when someone doesn't care either way, they will vote for no change. Just my opinion. I did, on the vote for FAAB. I didn't care either way, so I voted to keep it the same. Many, I am sure, did the same on the other votes. And probably in the vote for president this year, as well. But we won't go there. :lol:

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:Surprised people want to make qb play more important than it is now here, considering it is already too important in many people eyes. Seems odd.
I agree with this. I am surprised by the vote on this.

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Jack_Bauer wrote:-Has any consideration been given to the second Faab run (lets call it the "emergency pick up faab") on Saturday rather than Friday night? The goal being to further protect NFFC owners from the unforeseen things that occasionally can happen that can leave a team/owner stymied with a zero in a lineup.
The second FAAB will remain on Friday night. We know a lot of owners watch the latest news reports before the FAAB deadline and putting it on Saturday would further disrupt the lives of our owners. At some point, there needs to be a cutoff time and news can still come out after that. Saturday night could be done to cover all bases, but I think it would make it tougher for many owners and still might not cover an unforeseen injury/accident after the deadline.
Greg,

I am fine with it either way. Just kind of confused by how disruptive this would be. If we moved the final faab run to Saturday, one that everyone agrees is more of an emergency pick up faab, this would free up everyone for Friday evenings. It seems like a push to me, as it relates to how disruptive it is to families. I only mentioned it because things do happen between Friday night and Sunday kickoff that can impact the fantasy world.

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Sandman62 wrote:Regarding question #2 on kick/punt return TDs... will individual players also be penalized for fumbling on such plays?

And Jack, it already has been explained, whether or not you agree with it.
Sandman,

It may have been explained. I simply haven't seen it (until I asked in this thread). I have seen reasons why awarding the individual player 6 points for the play they scored on makes sense. I have seen that side of the argument. I had not read an actual reason why anyone would be against it. I am not saying there is no legit reason, I just hadn't read one yet. As I read through this thread, I am now seeing reasons why some may have voted against it. I simply agree with Billy Waz in that the negative of your own offensive player actually HURTING YOU far outweighs any negative of a random return TD. Lots of crazy random stuff happens in fantasy football. Your WR can be running for a TD, get stripped from behind, fumble ball into endzone and your opponents RB may jump on it and score a TD against you. Part of fantasy football is the craziness that comes with it.

Rewarding the individual player who scores the TD on special teams (or on a defensive return as unlikely as that may be) is about more than awarding the points. It is about protecting you from losing an entire possession of production opportunity because your guy made a great football play. Lets be honest, players will get minus 1 pt for fumbles more than they will score TD in the long run. At least the fantasy owner can root for the play rather then cringe and beg for a fair catch.
Last edited by Jack_Bauer on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bezie

Post by bezie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm

"Thanks for the feedback all. We definitely will have some slight rules changes when it comes to teams qualifying for the Championship Round next year and providing a safety net to make sure all of the best teams from the 13-week regular season are included in the post-season race for the grand prizes. Last year with the help of this survey, we increased our Wild Card berths from the Top 10 percent overall in scoring to the Top 15 percent overall in total points through Week 13. We now believe even that might not be good enough for our Main Events. We can increase that to the Top 20 percent and still not raise the total number of teams in the Championship Rounds by very much."

How would this "make sure the best teams from the 13-week regular season" get included in the playoffs? It seems like you are reaching further down the list of points scorers searching for more teams that couldn't make the cut in the first place. Granted there is an element of randomness to the playoffs where anyone can win but shouldn't that list be limited to only the best teams so if you make it, at least you have a better chance to get the prizes? What am I missing?