Results of NFFC Rules Survey

chriseibl

Re: Results of NFFC Rules Survey

Post by chriseibl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:03 pm

ForLoveOfTheGame wrote:"2. I really hoped that we weren't going to double dip the points on punt and kickoff returns. I know it's a small change but I guess it's just personal preference. The ironic part is that if you're going to count fumbles against the player then most return players will be more likely to go negative on points than to post positive points because of return td's. I'm really not sure what this accomplishes."

Completely agree Wayne, most players will take a few -2's and 0 TDs. It'll definitely result in a negative return score on the year for some players... awesome

"3. I guess the -2 per interception is the one I like the least here. I'm just guessing here but a lot of interceptions are not the QB's fault. Now they are going negative for something that they didn't do. (Receiver runs wrong route, receiver falls down, hail mary.) I assume that we will see the better QB's go even earlier now....."

Again, I completely agree Wayne. I already can't stand it I get punished on a tipped ball or hail mary or something, now it's going to hurt twice as much? AWESOME!
I didn't realize players on kick returns would lose points for fumbles lost. Not sure it's a good thing to have your guy returning kicks. I pretty much agree with the above statements... though I'll qualify that with saying these changes are minor enough that it isn't a huge deal to me.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that we all love the game of football. How much varies, as does the levels we enjoy it at. But I do think not considering Saturdays for Faab is a good thing as it allows college football fans to enjoy that sport all day without having to be fiddling around looking at news etc. A big benefit for high school football fans is that we can enjoy Friday night lights as well, without having to worry about grinding out waivers. I am sure I am not the only one that loves college and high school football, and I love being able to support those things with the new Thursday night games and free agent wire setup. That is about the only thing I like about Thursday NFL football though. Trying to look at the positives of it and there certainly are some.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:35 pm

Jack_Bauer wrote:
Sandman62 wrote:Regarding question #2 on kick/punt return TDs... will individual players also be penalized for fumbling on such plays?

And Jack, it already has been explained, whether or not you agree with it.
Sandman,

It may have been explained. I simply haven't seen it (until I asked in this thread).
Jack, there's been an overcomplicated reason or two thrown out there. :P :mrgreen:

mtreff4

Post by mtreff4 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Just thought I'd post a message this season, and I love this topic. I make a post about it every year.

In my opinion, there is nothing more exciting than a player returning a punt or kickoff for a TD. In the NFFC, when my guy, whether it's Sproles last year or Cobb this year, looks like they're gonna break one, I shout at the TV, "Don't get hurt, dude! Slow down, dude! Get tackled dude so there's still room left on the field to catch a TD pass on this drive!!!!" Not kidding.

That is a weird feeling, one that has never sat right with me in this league. My guy is a stud. He has the ball in his hands, and he's about to run 90 yards for a touchdown. And I get nothing.

As football fans, when our guy has that ball in hand and has only the kicker to beat, we should be out of our seats cheering for him to score a TD. Not for the kicker to tackle him gently so he doesn't get hurt and may still score a TD later on in that drive.

My bottom line: If we take the risk of selecting Sproles, Cobb or Harvin knowing that their injury risk is double the average wideout due to their returning kicks, then the very least we should get in return is their 12 fantasy points for the two return TDs they score.

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 pm

I have no issue with the move to -2 for INT's. Sure, the argument can be made that some INT's may not be the QB's fault in situations like hail mary plays, tipped balls off their receivers hands, etc. Let's also not forget that QB's frequently benefit in scoring from doing very little. An example of this would be a three yard screen pass behind the line of scrimmage where the RB makes the grab and runs 50 yards for a score.

I also don't have a problem with the offensive player also receiving the 6 points on a special teams score. In the grand scheme of things, this happens very little that I probably will consider it very little when ranking players. You just can't depend on a guy to do it with consistency. Look at Devin Hester. He's one of the greatest kick returners of all-time but when was the last time he took one to the house? As great of a player as Randall Cobb has been this year, I believe he only has one return TD. Yes, those six points could play a big role in a lot of scenarios but so also could injuries, bad lineup decisions, and poor FAAB management. I just think that with this rule you have a little something else to cheer for (besides hoping for no injuries) when you see one of your players trotting out there to return kicks or punts.

Lastly, I'm glad that FAAB will remain the same. Given the scenarios and different things that can arise, it's best to be able to evaluate the entire pool of players at one time and just use Friday's period as a security blanket if needed.

Regardless though, however the voting may have went or what Greg and Tom decide, I wouldn't have been swayed to play anywhere else besides the NFFC. I'm glad that they poll their contestants and listen to feedback in order to make the best decisions to grow their contests.
Go Big Red!

Route C

Post by Route C » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm

JETS SB wrote:
So, in the end, if it doesn't have that much of an effect on anything, as you stated in other posts, and the majority voted for the change, why not make the change? It is fair and most owners want it. Right now, its up to Tom/Greg. Either way, its not a big deal.[/quote]

51.8% barely makes for a majority. I say we let it ride another year and see if the vote strengthens. Besides I think there are some hanging chads here! ;)

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:32 am

Just a quick thought on the Friday FAAB. Just push it back to midnight west coast time. We can get home from the high school game and get the kids to bed and spend a little time finishing up whatever wavier wire adjustments we need. A little love for the west coast players also. I am assuming this is automated, if Greg or Tom has to still push a button then just leave as is.

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:45 am

random thoughts.

Since it looks like we're going to keep the existing FAAB periods, I could see possibly delaying the time a couple hours for the "left coasters".

It really makes no difference to me about the individual players getting special teams TD's, though I don't understand why people want to get into a "double dipping" situation. I know it's fun to watch YOUR guy return TD's, i.e...Cobb, Hester, Sproles..etc, but isn't why we select or buy their teams D/ST.

The -2 for INT. is no big deal to me, but since these leagues put more emphasis on QB's, and this has been stated earlier, wouldn't it be just as effective to do away with the negative points and elevate some other QB's a little.
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 am

BigBlueNation wrote:It really makes no difference to me about the individual players getting special teams TD's, though I don't understand why people want to get into a "double dipping" situation. I know it's fun to watch YOUR guy return TD's, i.e...Cobb, Hester, Sproles..etc, but isn't why we select or buy their teams D/ST.
My point on the "Double Dipping" is that Special Teams TD's are already a random rare event that adds a significant amount of points to the DST -- now we are considering adding 6 more points to that event for the Returner, making it even larger of an impact on the game.

While I agree that the player should receive something, I don't think that both entities should receive 6 full points each.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:42 am

CALI CARTEL wrote:
BigBlueNation wrote:It really makes no difference to me about the individual players getting special teams TD's, though I don't understand why people want to get into a "double dipping" situation. I know it's fun to watch YOUR guy return TD's, i.e...Cobb, Hester, Sproles..etc, but isn't why we select or buy their teams D/ST.
My point on the "Double Dipping" is that Special Teams TD's are already a random rare event that adds a significant amount of points to the DST -- now we are considering adding 6 more points to that event for the Returner, making it even larger of an impact on the game.

While I agree that the player should receive something, I don't think that both entities should receive 6 full points each.
I'm glad we gave you folks something to discuss this week before Week 15 begins! ;)

Since two of the questions had votes that were close, it's obvious that we'll have some owners who like the change and some who won't. The talking points are pretty understandable now by all parties. There are good points to each side, yet we think the moves will help our game.

As for Special Teams TDs, let's remember that a small percentage of return TDs are by skilled position offensive guys. There are still going to be D/STs that only get the 6 points. What have we had so far this year, 5 TDs by offensive players who could have been in your starting lineup? It's a small number and as many owners have said they now get to root for their player every time they are on the field. And it's possible that player could lose a point to a fumble, but the upside is the potential for 6 points.

As for INTs, again you can look at the Top 14 QBs and for the most part they all have between 8 and 14 INTs. Outliers are 4 and 18. So we're talking 6 points on the season and not all just for second tier QBs (Drew Brees has 18 INTs, Tony Romo has 16). But we've also seen some QBs have 5 INT games and when they play that poorly they will be punished more than we've done in the past. The rule change may not affect the full season very much, but in those weekly matchups it could punish where more punishment is needed.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius