Results of NFFC Rules Survey

Chi_Town_FEW

Re: Results of NFFC Rules Survey

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
Chi_Town_FEW wrote:I would assume a fumble on a two point conversion does not show up in the box score.
But a fumble on a kickoff or punt return does. :D

IMO, if you want the thrill of rooting for your player on special teams, then along with that has to come the anxiety of possible negative results. There shouldn't be a positive-only reward with no risk.

My 2 cents.
Ah, I just looked up special teams and two point conversions, if it shows up in the official NFL stats as a fumble for a player than -2 or -1 it is. I have no problem with that. I voted for the player to get the points so there needs to be a risk reward if that is how it is scored.

Sabretooth

Post by Sabretooth » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:09 pm

ulbkumn wrote:Downside of player receiving points for return TD is that a player like David Wilson, Randell Cobb, and Darren Sproles willing likely be worth a 1st round pick next season.
That alone is not going to make players like this a first round pick. How many td's are they going to run back 1 or 2?
I think it increases the value of such players, that's all.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 am

As I had mentioned earlier, one of the changes we will look at in 2013 is the wild card procedure for getting into the Championship Rounds of the national contests. Last year we increased the Wild Cards to all teams that scored in the top 15% of all total teams through Week 13 and we didn't add any teams in the Classic and only a handful in the Primetime. We may consider increasing that total AND making sure that the 3rd highest scoring team in each league is guaranteed a spot in the Championship Round (if a H2H champion knocks them out). I think those are safety nets we can consider for those contests.

In the NFFC Online Championship, we will look at that last safety net as well. However, it's interesting to note that we did have 56 Wild Card teams in the Online Championship with the Wild Card level set at 15% of all teams. We don't want this contest to get too out of hand with the number of teams in the Championship Round, so this may be the right level there. We had 156 leagues last year and two teams per league were guaranteed spots in the Championship Round. We finished with 368 teams in the Online Championship Round, so that is 312 league qualifiers plus 56 Wild Card teams. Pretty solid.

Thanks for all the feedback and we'll have some final decisions shortly after the regular season concludes. I like our plans for 2013.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:55 am

IMO, if an owner isn't in the Top 15% or the Top 2 scoring teams in their league, they don't have any business making it into the playoffs as a WILDCARD.

While well-intentioned, this is getting utterly ridiculous IMO. Owners can't come to grips that fantasy football is mostly luck, so when they perceive their teams getting "squeezed out" of the playoffs, they push to have more teams make it. I mean, come on, Top 15% is already watered-down enough. In school, the 16%-20% students earn a B- or a C+.

This is nothing more than Fantasy Welfare, which diminishes the accomplishments of the truly great teams that actually deserve to be there.

Again, I'll suggest Operators start a national contest where EVERY team makes the playoffs :lol:

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:20 am

Don Draper wrote:Again, I'll suggest Operators start a national contest where EVERY team makes the playoffs :lol:
That's where we're headed if we go to 20%. Because that won't be enough, in a few years we'll be at 25%, then 30%, then 50%. Someone is always going to "just miss" the Playoffs, but rather than adding more safety nets for those teams, maybe they should've drafted and managed better.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:22 pm

So a team who misses the playoffs but is only 10, 5 or 1 point behind the 2nd high scorer - yet possibly 50 or more points ahead of the next team - absolutely doesn't deserve a spot because they aren't "truly great' and "should've drafted and managed better"? Yeah, uh huh. :roll:

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:40 pm

Sandman62 wrote:So a team who misses the playoffs but is only 10, 5 or 1 point behind the 2nd high scorer - yet possibly 50 or more points ahead of the next team - absolutely doesn't deserve a spot because they "should've drafted and managed better"? Yeah, uh huh. :roll:
1, 5, 10 is irrelevant, it's BEHIND the 2nd highest scorer. Where are you going to draw the line? It's not gonna be 10, it's not gonna be 20, eventually it's gonna be anyone within 100 points of 2nd. Now when there's a league with a weak 2nd place team, then teams are getting in that shouldn't.

Finish with the Best Record, you are in
Finish with the Top 2 (or 3) Points, you are in
Finish in the Top 15% of the overall scoring, you are in

WHY DO WE NEED TO KEEP INCREASING THIS?!!!>?!?!??! If we keep increasing it, there will never be a stopping point. There's no way you can give me an example without easily being able to flip it back to my side of the argument and vice versa, so at some point we need to just say this is the way it is and leave at that, and to me that means LESS teams advancing to the Playoff, not more teams -- there are plenty of owners on my side and there are plenty of owners on your side, there is no "correct" answer, but I'm of the opinion that a "limited" playoff makes the whole season more important.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:26 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:1, 5, 10 is irrelevant, it's BEHIND the 2nd highest scorer. Where are you going to draw the line? It's not gonna be 10, it's not gonna be 20, eventually it's gonna be anyone within 100 points of 2nd. Now when there's a league with a weak 2nd place team, then teams are getting in that shouldn't.
I've already addressed this several times in other threads. You'd only allow a team that's 100 points back in if you just arbitrarily added a 3rd playoff spot. If you base it on a point percentage back from 2nd (or small number of points back), then you're assured to only let teams who were really close to the 2nd scorer in.

And if a league had a "weak" 2nd place team, then why AREN'T other close teams who were within a small number of points deserving based on their play in THAT league? Are they any less deserving than the 2nd place team? And what makes a team that scored the 2nd most points in ANY league "weak"? How do we know that league just wasn't so tightly competitive that no two teams ran away with it?

Besides, how many leagues had a "weak 2nd high scorer"? I'm curious if Greg were to review this year's leagues just how many "weak" teams would be let in with a rule like this vs. how many teams who really may have deserved to be in nearly as much as the 2nd scorer.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Don Draper wrote:IMO, if an owner isn't in the Top 15% or the Top 2 scoring teams in their league, they don't have any business making it into the playoffs as a WILDCARD.

While well-intentioned, this is getting utterly ridiculous IMO. Owners can't come to grips that fantasy football is mostly luck, so when they perceive their teams getting "squeezed out" of the playoffs, they push to have more teams make it. I mean, come on, Top 15% is already watered-down enough. In school, the 16%-20% students earn a B- or a C+.

This is nothing more than Fantasy Welfare, which diminishes the accomplishments of the truly great teams that actually deserve to be there.

Again, I'll suggest Operators start a national contest where EVERY team makes the playoffs :lol:
Your opinion is fine, but I'm not sure how the Top 15% is watering down the Championship Round when we didn't even have any Wild Card teams in the NFFC Classic this year and had only 5 Wild Card teams in the NFFC Primetime. Right now just over 21% of all teams make the Championship Round in the NFFC Classic and 26% make it in the NFFC Primetime. Five teams in each contest would have been added in each contest with the new rules. That may seem like watered-down to you, but maybe not to all NFFC owners.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:48 pm

That's the problem, the wording you use is so misleading that it's brainwashing you into believing it --

You said, "I'm curious if Greg were to review this year's leagues just how many "weak" teams would be let in with a rule like this vs. how many teams who really may have deserved to be in nearly as much as the 2nd scorer."

The word "Derserved" can not be applied to ANYTHING sports related in terms of playoffs. If you didn't make it in by the rules in place, then you did not "Deserve" to make the post season. Arbitrarily saying, this team "should've" made it and this team "shouldn't" have made it is irrelevant, the rules are in place and those teams either DID or DID NOT make it, there's no woulda/coulda/shoulda about it.

This is the first time in 3 years of playing the NFFC that I've made the playoffs in any league, I have never once even considered that I was "screwed" because there "deserved" to be more teams allowed into the playoffs. I didn't make it under a great set of rules, so I came back this year and tried again and made it, and I feel like that's an accomplishment. Had I snuck into the playoffs as the 5th or 6th team in my league, I'd be happy that I was in, but I wouldn't feel like I accomplished anything because I was basically just handed the playoff spot.

There has to be some semblance of "achievement" by getting passed the league portion of the game, but allowing more teams into the Playoff, you cheapen that and I'm against that -- if you have another opinion, that's fine, that's your opinion, and I don't agree with it.