NFFC Plans For Our 10th Anniversary Season In 2013

BillyWaz

Re: NFFC Plans For Our 10th Anniversary Season In 2013

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:20 pm

I think the reason entry fees are being raised is because ......well, they can!

Greg has a point, if all the other contests are $100-$150 more, why can't the NFFC increase? The one thing I really respect about the NFFC is they don't gauge you with RIDICULOUS events fees. Sure, they charge a small fee (is it $75?), but the food is FAR superior to other contests (actually can't speak about the FFWC) and they do give an opportunity to waive those fees if you get into more leagues. I know another contest is $125 for the Main Event, and $50 for ancillary leagues. 2 years ago I did TWO auctions and a Main Event and it cost me $225 in ENTRY FEES! :x

Now. while I do like the combined standings I don't understand the combination? WHY aren't we combining Classic AND Primetime OR Primetime and Online??? :? Combining a 14 team MAIN with $350 entry makes ZERO SENSE to me. Make it a 12 and 12 teamer or the two Mains.....just my opinion.

What I DON'T like about the combined standings is combining 50 million combinations with ONE person. I mean seriously, take the person's BEST Classic and BEST Primetime AND THAT'S IT!!! I know Jared Danielson is a GREAT player....I don't need to see his or anyone else's name 17 of the first 20 spots. :roll:

As long as I can waive the event fees, the NFFC will continue to get the majority of my business.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Coltsfan wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Coltsfan wrote:Greg,

It's not about added revenues, it's about being as competitive as possible in paying out league and overall prizes.
Seriously Greg.....:) It's really not about additional revenue??? :o

Look, I haven't been one of the guys always wanting more prizes. I know you have to be profitable and I respect that and want you to be profitable. The only thing I have ever wanted was some redistribution of prizes away from the overall and back to the leagues. You feel like people play because of the overall prize and I feel like people stay because of the league prize. It's just a difference of opinion and that's fine. But please don't tell me that this isn't about raising revenue. That's just unbelievable. I even made a suggestion as to how to cut some money which honestly is a very good suggestion and it doesn't even get addressed. All I get back is that you aren't raising league rates to create more revenue.....

Wayne
Wayne, all of the additional prize money for the NFFC Primetime will be distributed within the league. And you're arguing about that? The additional revenue in the Classic brings the grand prize to $100,000 after already having the largest league prizes in the industry. And you're arguing about that? We fell far short of reaching our goals in the Classic and Primetime last year, still guaranteed the entire prize packages and you're telling me we're doing this as a revenue grab?? We're adding much more risk to the prizes and you're upset with that?

Okay, no worries. Thanks for the honest feedback. Good and bad is always welcome. I put our ideas online as soon as possible so that we could get feedback and discuss the good and bad about everything. I didn't expect everyone to agree with everything, which is natural. But at the end of the day we sure hope we fill up all of our contests and give even more prize money to our worthy customers.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks Billy. I think all of our 9-year veterans know that we've always resisted raising entry fees. We were at $1,250 when the WCOFF went to $1,500 and above. And when the other contests went to $1,600 or even $1,750 we were still at $1,300 and eventually $1,400. Yet our league prizes still were too small to compete equally because nobody saw the entry fees, they just saw the payouts.

We are giving our current members a $100 discount on as many teams as they commit to by May 1st. And as you've said, we've consistently given owners who take multiple teams a chance to have US pay for the nice Bellagio and New York City meals and drinks. Wayne even commented to me in Las Vegas how impressed he was with our setup at the Bellagio and how good the food was. So we eat those costs, too, which aren't minimal. After May 1st, we'll be priced no higher than anyone else in this space. Why is that considered a negative?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship

Money

Post by Money » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:03 pm

I decided to take this to the NFBC board.

Thanks
Last edited by Money on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe

bald is beautiful

Post by bald is beautiful » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:16 pm

BillyWaz wrote:I think the reason entry fees are being raised is because ......well, they can!

Greg has a point, if all the other contests are $100-$150 more, why can't the NFFC increase? The one thing I really respect about the NFFC is they don't gauge you with RIDICULOUS events fees. Sure, they charge a small fee (is it $75?), but the food is FAR superior to other contests (actually can't speak about the FFWC) and they do give an opportunity to waive those fees if you get into more leagues. I know another contest is $125 for the Main Event, and $50 for ancillary leagues. 2 years ago I did TWO auctions and a Main Event and it cost me $225 in ENTRY FEES! :x

Now. while I do like the combined standings I don't understand the combination? WHY aren't we combining Classic AND Primetime OR Primetime and Online??? :? Combining a 14 team MAIN with $350 entry makes ZERO SENSE to me. Make it a 12 and 12 teamer or the two Mains.....just my opinion.

What I DON'T like about the combined standings is combining 50 million combinations with ONE person. I mean seriously, take the person's BEST Classic and BEST Primetime AND THAT'S IT!!! I know Jared Danielson is a GREAT player....I don't need to see his or anyone else's name 17 of the first 20 spots. :roll:

As long as I can waive the event fees, the NFFC will continue to get the majority of my business.
You use alot of CAPITALS for emphasis.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:14 pm

I can understand both sides of this one, but from my own personal perspective, I can see Greg's point here. I would be guilty of seeing the prizes and not valuing that 100 or 200 like I should. I obviously should be more responsible to take it into account, but 1500 doesn't seem as much different than 1600 as the difference in prizes might. Sort of an optical illusion that will work on me.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:46 pm

bald is beautiful wrote:
BillyWaz wrote:I think the reason entry fees are being raised is because ......well, they can!

You use alot of CAPITALS for emphasis.
You should see me with commas, Jack! :lol:

Jack_Bauer

Post by Jack_Bauer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:07 am

I saw some banter (Billy waz mentioned it) in a past thread about a special league for players who have been with the NFFC since day one. Are there enough players like that to field a league?

RedRyder

Post by RedRyder » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:22 am

Is the prize money for the combined standings taken out of our entry fees? I never follow the combined standings and from reading the posts, don't even understand how they work now. Are they that much of a selling point? Are they really needed?

I have no problem with with the fee increase.
@RedRyder

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:26 am

RedRyder wrote:Is the prize money for the combined standings taken out of our entry fees? I never follow the combined standings and from reading the posts, don't even understand how they work now. Are they that much of a selling point? Are they really needed?

I have no problem with with the fee increase.
I'm not sure why Combined Prizes became the topic of conversation on this thread, but no they aren't. As I've explained on the NFBC boards where Joe took this discussion, they are less than 1% of total revenue for two contests and were always planned as an add-on promotional expense that actually lowered our bottom line. They are helpful and they do help us grow the two contests, but read for yourself on the NFBC boards:

http://nfbcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13208

Hopefully we can get back to feedback on 2013's plans.