Is Tim Tebow's NFL Career Over?

Greg Ambrosius

Is Tim Tebow's NFL Career Over?

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 am

One year ago, one NFL player was the talk of the town. It was Tim Tebow, who led Denver to an improbably comeback win in overtime against Pittsburgh. He was heading to New England to shock the world and Tebow Time was all you heard about. Heck, we even had debates on these NFFC boards about his fantasy value, with some folks saying he was a top pickup in 2012 and others saying he should never start another game.

Well, here we are one year later and after a disastrous trade to the Jets it looks like Tebow won't start another game in the NFL. He didn't do that in 2012 and it doesn't look good for 2013. The one most obvious landing spot for Tebow was Jacksonville, but yesterday the Jaguars' new GM said there is no chance that he will play in Jacksonville.

"I can't imagine a scenario in which he'll be a Jacksonville Jaguar -- even if he's released," Caldwell said.

Even the Jaguars' new owner isn't pushing back. Shad Khan, who made a run at Tebow last year, said it was Caldwell's decision.

"It's not my decision," Khan said. "I want to do whatever to help this team win. Who the players are is really the general manager's and coaches' -- it's a football-side operation decision. It's really not my decision."

So, if Tebow is released during the off-season as expected, where does he land? Does he go north of the border and star in the CFL? Is that his best option? Or does he stay in the NFL as a backup and continue to battle as a No. 2 or 3 QB. Do you see any scenario where Tebow has value in fantasy leagues next year?

I know it's not the most pressing fantasy football question of 2013, but right now it's interesting because Jacksonville seemed like such a logical move. The dismissal from the team's new GM -- who had to know that at the very least he would have sold tickets -- has to tell you that very few football minds believe Tebow will ever succeed in the NFL again. Right?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

mattjb

Re: Is Tim Tebow's NFL Career Over?

Post by mattjb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:18 pm

As a starting QB he's done.

I think he deserved another chance to fail having taken the Broncos to the play-offs but it's not gonna happen.

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 pm

I'll predict either to Jacksonville (they are saying that so he'll get cut and they don't have to trade for him... but either way they should sign him just to sell tickets, even as their #2) or with New England as their #3 QB as my main prediction...

Chi_Town_FEW

Post by Chi_Town_FEW » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 pm

How would he look running the pistol in Minnesota.

TR

Post by TR » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Glad Jaxsonville smart enough not to let tebow wreck cecil shorts and blackmon next season

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:26 pm

He was never given a chance with the Jets this year and that is not his fault. You cannot tell me he wouldn't have been better than Sanchez. I would have liked to have seen him QB a team from game 1. He is probably not going to be given another shot and thats too bad. Everyone talks as he is a horrible QB, but he won one more playoff game for the Broncos, than Peyton Manning did... just saying.
Last edited by JETS SB on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Chi_Town_FEW wrote:How would he look running the pistol in Minnesota.
He would look very purple!! :lol: And then he'd probably run for 200 yards against the Packers!! :evil:
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

CoMoHusker

Post by CoMoHusker » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Everyone talks as he is a horrible QB, but he won one more playoff game for the Broncos, than Peyton Manning did... just saying.[/quote]

Everyone talks as if he's a horrible QB....because he is! As far as Manning not winning a playoff game with the Broncos this year, you can't even compare that to what Tebow did. The Tebow led Broncos were a mediocre 8-8 and simply had the stars align just to get into the playoffs. Yes, Tebow was able to beat the Steelers but how many more games in that guy's career do you think he will throw for 300 yards on just 10 completions? :lol: My guess is none.

I'm sure that even though Peyton and the Broncos didn't win in the playoffs this year, that the organization is happy where they are headed. The had the best record in their league this year and Peyton helped make the WR's meaningful in what is now an elite offense. Tebow would have had no such luck, as he would have completed around 50% of his passes and thrown for 100 yards per game.

Owners and coaches are realizing that there's hardly a reason to have Tebow as a back-up QB. His skill set just doesn't allow him to be consistent in the passing game if called upon. Other running QB's like RG3 (when healthy) are a threat to throw the ball. If Tebow does land on a roster elsewhere, it will be nothing more than to sell some tickets in Jacksonville or to be used as part of a gimmick offense when needed on another team.
Go Big Red!