Plans For 4th Annual NFFC 12-Team Diamond League

Cocktails and Dreams

Re: Plans For 4th Annual NFFC 12-Team Diamond League

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:27 pm

24 hour auto run rule also would enable those doing multiple leagues to easily go in and see where they are picking on one, if they feel like changing it up some one the next one. Or if they didn't have good luck of the draw, they can leave it there again. So many benefits to having a consistent deadline. And doing it at this time, the leagues are full, and everyone will know exactly when they can see their draft spots. Would bring KDS up to speed on how it should be applied, it would be consistent, everyone would know when the KDS deadline is exactly rather than having to scramble around trying to figure it out, and people will know exactly when they can look and get their selection. People still have a day to use up to date information to prepare, and can still do plenty of preparation before anyway by getting ideas of who they would target if drafting from certain segments of the draft. You do not need an exact pick a week early to do that. I hope something like this is strongly considered as it would really let people pick where they want based on current information rather than stale week old information.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:02 pm

We have the leagues currently set up to automate KDS and run draft picks this way for all of our NFBC online leagues. We can set it up to run 24 hours, 36 hours, 48 hours, 7 days in advance if needed. This is all set up to run in a matter of seconds.

Agreed, the discussion should be had about whether folks like draft spots early or last minute due to KDS. I'll gladly start that discussion. It doesn't matter to us, but if this becomes a detriment to the NFFC -- picking draft spots too late for some people's comfort because of KDS -- then we definitely need to re-evaluate things. We don't want to lose customers over this because some folks want all leagues having draft picks announced shortly before Draft Day. For some folks, planning strategies around their announced draft picks, even if it's a couple of days, is part of the skill and part of the fun.

But let's have this discussion and see which way folks want to go.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

larry schechter

Post by larry schechter » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:41 pm

Greg,

As far as I know, it's always been a question of 5 minutes before the draft or about a week. So if you ask people, would you prefer 5 minutes, 24 hours, 48 hours, or a week, then you can see what people think about all of these options.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:24 pm

Discussion a great start. Things evolve. I think a lot of people that have played with KDS like it. More than not. I don't, but only because of it having to be set too early. This day and age of technology and the blowup of online fantasy football drafts(your online championship and FG) there are way more drafts now than ever before. More of them happen the last week than ever before. This results in ADP changes the last week more than ever before. This results in us being hamstrung some more than ever before having to set it that early. The key is that people can still prepare no matter when they get their slot. People cannot get current information a week in advance though. Lost in the shuffle is the fact that probably well over half your leagues KDS is already run on well less than 24 hours. And I haven't hear people bitching about it at all? How many have removed themselves from online championships that didn't fill a week ahead of time because they couldn't get their draft spot? My guess is none. And leagues that fill late in the week are same thing. I doubt anyone took themselves off because they didn't get a draft spot by a certain time. Are people curious to know where they will pick? Oh yeah. Will they not play because they get it a little later? Not a chance. And they will like being able to change KDS as new information comes in.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:08 am

I just posted a survey on our NFBC boards involving this subject and can do a similar one here shortly:

http://nfbcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13391

It will be interesting to see what the NFBC guys say. Baseball is definitely different than football and we don't use 3RR in baseball. But let's just see what folks say there and we'll bring the conversation over here soon as well. Thanks for starting the discussion.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius