I Hate Weds FAAB

BigBlueNation

Re: I Hate Weds FAAB

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:10 am

I guess I'm in the minority, probably because I don't do as many FAAB leagues as others, but I like having two chances to ensure a full lineup before the weekend games. I wish I had a chance to pick up Wednesday's dropped players on Friday. JMO
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

afv

Post by afv » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:24 am

BigBlueNation wrote:I guess I'm in the minority, probably because I don't do as many FAAB leagues as others, but I like having two chances to ensure a full lineup before the weekend games. I wish I had a chance to pick up Wednesday's dropped players on Friday. JMO

Agreed. I'm in for daily pickups with no restrictions on dropped players.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:50 am

BLACKHAND wrote:maybe someone can explain how it is better not to know the status of your players before you bid on fa. something tells me greg and tom will stay out of this. ;)
How can we stay out of it Frankie when we're right in the middle of it? :o There's always two sides to every opinion and it's impossible to please everyone. As for knowing the status of your players, even Friday FAAB leaves you not really knowing everything about injured players.

The easy solution is for the NFL to give up on these stupid Thursday Night Games, which are clunkers at best. The NFL could easily move these to Friday Nights or better yet, dominate Saturday Nights with 1 game on the NFL Network. The NFL under Roger Goodell only cares about itself, so worrying about high school football on Fridays or college football on Saturdays is ludicrous. NFL fans will watch on Friday or Saturday even moreso than on stupid Thursday nights. Let's move it back Roger and then we can go back to all Friday FAAB like before.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Ry's Guys

Post by Ry's Guys » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 am

I agree it really sucks to have to put bids on guys that aren't even relelvant by Saturday sometimes. You end up dropping guys you wanted to stash because you have to play the what if game. If the main goal is to take out as much of the luck factor as possible I can't understand why we leave the most important part of the entire game after the draft to uninformed choices. The "blind bids" we put in on these players on Wednesday night is aptly named in my opinion!

Greg we can lament the NFL's choice to put a Thursday night game on as much as we want but it ain't going anywhere! My suggestion would be this.

Friday only FAAB except for Thanksgiving weekend. You would be allowed to pickup any players that played in Thursdays game but you couldm't use them in your lineup for that week. You could even drop a guy that played in the Thursday game as long as he wasn't in your starting lineup. If he was on your bench and his game already took place he wouldn't affect that weeks games anyway.
To me having the ability to bid on players on Friday evening would be a fair trade off of not being able to use the players from the Thursday night game. If you really have a guy you want to plug in plan ahead and take them the week before like any good player already does!!!

Here is a list of the available free agents for the Eagles & Chiefs for this coming week that we would "miss out" on if we used the above plan... Ryan Succop, Anthony Sherman, Junior Hemmingway, Anthony Fasano & Donnie Avery for the Chiefs. Eagles Zach Ertz. Seriously if you need to plug and play Junior Hemmingway or Donnie Avery your team has bigger problems!
Someone earlier in this thread brought up a good point about the NFFC pushing KDS back to be able to make the best decision for your draft spot. I agree if the NFFC deems that so important (and I think it is important) than why put an equally important part of building a great team (13 weeks of FAAB) shouldn't be given equal respect to what position you actually draft from?!?

Just my $.02 I understand we have voted on this in the past and can't imagine why anyone would think FAAB being run on Wednesday is a good idea but then again I don't understand how we voted Obama back into office a second time either!!! :?:
Pat Sorge

BONGIZMO

Post by BONGIZMO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:40 pm

Amen to that Ry!

Scott
Never do card tricks for the people you play poker with.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:45 pm

Pat, there are some NFFC owners who are extremely mad at us for moving the announcement of Main Event draft spots from 8 days out to 5 days out, even saying we "sold out" to certain owners. Then there are those other owners who are extremely mad that we didn't go closer to Draft Day, even asking for Main Event draft spots on the day of the drafts. We have set up our draft spot system to give all of you owners input in your draft spots so that you can actually set a strategy around your draft position. Yet even when we do that it's impossible to please everyone here. Hell, maybe we just go random in the future and announce these things in July and piss off or please everyone.

As for Wednesday FAAB, some of the same people saying Wednesday FAAB sucks on this thread said we had to include all players in each week's FAAB two years ago. Sure, this week there aren't many good free agents from Philadelphia and Kansas City to pick up, but every week isn't like that. And when we polled NFFC owners two years ago, the majority of owners picked the Wednesday-Friday option. Friday-only was one of the options and it didn't fare better than the current setup. And last I've seen, no other high-stakes contest is Friday-only FAAB. Not that we care about that, but it's not like we're on an island here.

I like FAAB on Friday myself, but there isn't a single league I'm in right now with Friday-only FAAB. Rally the troops around this idea, picket the Iola STATS offices, burn a cross on Highway 49 and we'll see what we can do. Maybe we're idiots for not having Friday-only FAAB, but that wouldn't be the first time, right?
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Route C

Post by Route C » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:32 pm

Funny comparison Pat :D
I totally agree with you. We lose far more in total info than we would lose by not having Thurs players available with possibly Thanksgiving being the exception.
One of the arguments that was made in favor of our current system was based on Thurs night players being unavailable as conditional bids.
The other was about doing 2 FAAB periods each week which we currently already do.
I wonder how many R.Rice owners without Pierce wish they had 2 more days info on his health?
Might've made a huge difference in their bidding this week.
This seems like a no brainer yet we don't seem to have enough support to get it changed.
I'd be interested to see an in season vote of all NFFC owners while this is being played out.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:33 pm

greg , noboby in there right mind can call you idiots. you run the best game around. that said , there are always ways to keep it the best game. i thought wed faab for thurs game only and friday for the rest might work but that was said to be to much work for owners with lots of teams. all i know is that you know more about the health of your team and have more info on players on friday than on wed.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Now that we are a year into Wednesday FAAB I hate it even more than I thought I would. There is only one real reason why we have it. It's simply because people are scared that they might lose someone playing in the following weeks Thursday night game and not have a chance to pick up a player since their won't be any waivers before that game. That is the only possible reason that makes any sense.

Well if you were to look to see if you had any guess going in the NEXT weeks Thursday game, then you could make waiver wire adjustments on the Friday before just in case any of those guys got injured. Every ONCE in a while you might get hosed. It's not perfect. But in the mean time you have make blind guesses about who may or may not play on Sunday as you have zero concrete information available to you on Wednesday nights. In fact, I typically do my bidding early and every week I have to run home on Wednesday evenings and rush to change all of my bids because of news that hit Wednesday afternoon. This is the worst part of FF and it's the reason why I have drastically reduced my redraft teams.

My guess is that one of the major contests will eventually see that guessing at 32 teams is much worst than having to prepare for possibly not having a player available from 2 teams on the following Thursday nights game. And if you're going to poll everyone, then the casual player probably is guessing regardless so they could probably care less when the bidding happens. I'm not criticizing casual players, but they don't have tons of leagues to prepare for in a very short period of time.

Anyways, I'll stop venting. Thank God for DC's!

Wayne

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:15 pm

somebody please tell me ( without threatening to leave or being rude ) why having wed faab for ONLY thurs night players and fri ( or sat ) for the rest of the league is bad. maybe i am missing something and am wrong. wouldn't be the first time. i cant see it being any more work with the wed faab for thurs taking no time at all.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN