I Hate Weds FAAB

Ry's Guys

Re: I Hate Weds FAAB

Post by Ry's Guys » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:Pat, there are some NFFC owners who are extremely mad at us for moving the announcement of Main Event draft spots from 8 days out to 5 days out, even saying we "sold out" to certain owners. Then there are those other owners who are extremely mad that we didn't go closer to Draft Day, even asking for Main Event draft spots on the day of the drafts. We have set up our draft spot system to give all of you owners input in your draft spots so that you can actually set a strategy around your draft position. Yet even when we do that it's impossible to please everyone here. Hell, maybe we just go random in the future and announce these things in July and piss off or please everyone.

As for Wednesday FAAB, some of the same people saying Wednesday FAAB sucks on this thread said we had to include all players in each week's FAAB two years ago. Sure, this week there aren't many good free agents from Philadelphia and Kansas City to pick up, but every week isn't like that. And when we polled NFFC owners two years ago, the majority of owners picked the Wednesday-Friday option. Friday-only was one of the options and it didn't fare better than the current setup. And last I've seen, no other high-stakes contest is Friday-only FAAB. Not that we care about that, but it's not like we're on an island here.

I like FAAB on Friday myself, but there isn't a single league I'm in right now with Friday-only FAAB. Rally the troops around this idea, picket the Iola STATS offices, burn a cross on Highway 49 and we'll see what we can do. Maybe we're idiots for not having Friday-only FAAB, but that wouldn't be the first time, right?
Greg, I never called or hinted that you guys were idiots...not sure where that came from. You and Tom run the best game for my tastes. I only play NFFC and private leagues. My choice and I'm a very satisfied customer. I was just throwing an option out there and was incredulous at the amount of people that voted for our current setup. Not at you, Tom or Stats. I don't want to burn any crosses or picket in Iola. Sometimes when reading and writing on a message board things are taken the wrong way. So I'll just leave it at this...I agreed with the original posts on the topic and was suggesting an alternative method that I think would be more fair and effective. Please excuse my ignorance if I came across in a negative manner. I never attended college and may not always be clear and concise when I try to make a point on these boards. I wasn't trying to intimate that anyone is an idiot and I don't think I ever have on these boards. The reason I included KDS was because it does seem like a similar issue regarding amount of time to make an important decision regarding building my team and that was changed without a real vote like we did for the FAAB in years past and that seemed a little uneven to me.
Pat Sorge

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:36 pm

BLACKHAND wrote:somebody please tell me ( without threatening to leave or being rude ) why having wed faab for ONLY thurs night players and fri ( or sat ) for the rest of the league is bad. maybe i am missing something and am wrong. wouldn't be the first time. i cant see it being any more work with the wed faab for thurs taking no time at all.
Frank, here are some discussions from last year that address this:
http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&#p180239
http://nffcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 98#p181298

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:49 pm

Pat, there's no offense taken. I understand that everyone wishes that FAAB was on any day other than a mid-week workday when NFL teams have had just one practice. It's just so difficult to accurately plan the rest of the week ahead and what your needs are. Tom and I are fantasy players first and we totally understand that. Heck, it's a frustration thread and I totally get it.

But the alternative to not doing FAAB this way is one FAAB on Friday and not getting the Thursday FAAB pickups in for that week. Like you just pointed out, it's a doable solution to what is available now, but not everyone is in favor of that. In fact, most NFFC players were in favor of the current frustrating Wednesday FAAB followed by Friday FAAB.

There's nothing wrong with a vent thread, as long as I can vent too!! My problem is that I want everyone to be happy and unfortunately there are situations where that just isn't possible. This is one of them.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:53 pm

I only have one FAAB league, and like the Wed/Fri FAAB runs. If I had more FAAB leagues, maybe my response would be different (maybe not).

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:02 pm

JMO

We have had this conversation in the past. I don't know if the current rule is the best solution, but I do know it's fair. I do believe the NFFC/STATS put the situation to an opinion/vote for the NFFC players. I also believe it took a couple votes to narrow it down to the current situation. This is what the majority wanted. I do not know if it's worth revisiting the opinion/vote scenerio with different scenerios, but I'm okay with it.

There are good arguments/opinions against the current rule, but these were mentioned last year prior and during the voting process. Personally, I have absolutely no problem with the current rule, but as Mark and Wayne have said, I don't play in as many FAAB leagues as others.

The one argument of the unknown on Wednesday's from week to week just doesn't fly with me. Friday's FAAB period gives us all a chance to deal with potentially a zero on gameday. We deal with unknowns from the day we draft up to and including the NFL teams not disclosing injuries until gameday. The NFL is going to play on Thursday, and we're going to have to deal with it.

I totally understand everybodys concern, but........
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

Diesel

Post by Diesel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Here is some fuel for the fire...Greg, you have my address if you want to send me hate mail...

*Why not just have free agents every night?
*Everyone still only has their 1000 FA dollars.
*If you drop a player today, he can be picked up by someone else tomorrow.
*If you drop a guy, YOU can not pick him up in the same week.
*You can not drop a guy who is in your starting lineup(If you picked up a guy for one game and he is in your lineup on Thursday, you can't drop him until the week is final on Tuesday).

People won't feel so stressed on Wednesday or Friday. They can pickup who they want, when they want, as long as they have the FA dollars left to get their guy(s).
*Ranked #1 Average Fantasy Football Player in the Nation 2004-2013

"Fantasy sports are all about LUCK. Except when I win."

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:29 pm

Diesel wrote:Here is some fuel for the fire...Greg, you have my address if you want to send me hate mail...

*Why not just have free agents every night?
*Everyone still only has their 1000 FA dollars.
*If you drop a player today, he can be picked up by someone else tomorrow.
*If you drop a guy, YOU can not pick him up in the same week.
*You can not drop a guy who is in your starting lineup(If you picked up a guy for one game and he is in your lineup on Thursday, you can't drop him until the week is final on Tuesday).

People won't feel so stressed on Wednesday or Friday. They can pickup who they want, when they want, as long as they have the FA dollars left to get their guy(s).
I'm in...That just moved the BIG FAAB night to Tuesdays... :shock: :o :D :lol:
Bill Cleavenger

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Bill,

I worked on waivers for a while Sunday night, about an hour Monday night, and for a few more hours on Tuesday. Then with all of the news on Wednesday i have to rush home to redo all of my work, basically starting over with my main bids. I was lucky that I didn't have any appointments Wednesday evening or else I would have been out of luck.

If the waivers happen later in the week then you have more time to get most of the news and make an informed decision. If less information = more skill then Wednesday is the day for waivers. But I tend to believe that more information = better decisions. Right now we are guessing on injuries as many franchises try to hide their injuries til as late as possible.

I would even be open to Frank's thought on having Wednesday waivers for Thursday players only. I wasn't last year as I wanted Friday only. I can understand why the masses might vote for the current system. And if I only managed a couple of teams then I might have voted that way. I just wish one of the three contests would have gone with a different system just to see what the masses of the "teams" might have done with their money.

Wayne

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I may not have been in favor in the past of the Wednesday FAAB for Thursday players and Friday for the rest but I am now. The main downside is the uncertainty of bidding on a thursday player on Wednesday that may be your 2nd choice without first knowing if you will get your first choice on Friday. But I think now that is the lesser of 2 evils. The upside is less work on Tuesday and Wednesday which is now stressful and also more information on Friday as many have mentioned.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

BigBlueNation

Post by BigBlueNation » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:46 am

Wayne, I hear you and understand your point, I'm just saying I have no problem with the existing rule. If we change the rule, I'm okay with that, also. And I agree, I like Frank's suggestion. Hell, I'm okay with Marc's idea. I guess my main contention is we are all in the same boat. If it doesn't fit a someone's specific work schedule, that's a different story. I'm sure there are a few players out there that work off shifts and do not have the luxury of changing/adjusting there FA bids at the last minute, as you refer to. A situation like this doesn't have a simple solution. There are hundreds or thousands of people playing in the NFFC, but only a handful commenting on this. No matter how this situation is handled, a few are not going to like it. It just so happens, we only hear opinions from the few.
Bill Cleavenger