I Hate Weds FAAB

RC Techies

Re: I Hate Weds FAAB

Post by RC Techies » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 am

I hate Wednesdays. Between work and bowling I have to get my bids figured out early in the day. If something changes late, like Trent Richardson being traded, I am stuck with what I placed earlier. Trying to figure out who to bid on with no information is a hit and miss game. Much prefer Friday for the main bid with Wednesday being restricted to players who are playing Thursday.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:39 pm

BLACKHAND wrote:somebody please tell me ( without threatening to leave or being rude ) why having wed faab for ONLY thurs night players and fri ( or sat ) for the rest of the league is bad. maybe i am missing something and am wrong. wouldn't be the first time. i cant see it being any more work with the wed faab for thurs taking no time at all.
Here is why I don't think it is a very good idea.

1. You cannot do conditional bidding. If a guy is needed to put in the lineup for injury, bye fill, or whatever the case is, you like a guy Thursday 2nd or third in your pecking order. You much prefer a guy playing Sunday though. You have no idea if you will win the guy or not if it hasn't even run yet. Would create really bad situations. Never seen such a thing as bidding on anything less than a full pool of players.

2. I think you are wrong about it taking no time at all. At least if you do it correctly. It takes full fledged evaluation of the pool anyway on Wednesday. Without doing that, you have no idea how to properly evaluate the situation. This makes for a tremendous amount of additional faab work, which I would not welcome. Once a week is more than I enjoy as is. Twice would make it really bad.

3. Software locks Thursday players, preventing drops of them Friday, and adding any of them Friday.

Those are the main concerns I have with it, although there are more. At first glance it seems okay, but after a little thought it doesn't make much sense IMO.

DOOMSDAY

Post by DOOMSDAY » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:12 pm

Why can we not drop a player from Thursday's games on Friday, even if we did not play them? Obviously you cannot drop somebody you played but why can't you drop someone from your bench?

TOMDOG

Post by TOMDOG » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:22 pm

I spent Wednesday afternoon working on waiver wire bids and then went to the PIRATES game that evening.
Great seats about 14 rows directly behind home plate.The huge scoreboard in left field puts up a newspaper style headline with the Trent Richardson news and I thought it was a joke of some sort at first,and googled it on my phone.
The joke was on me.Too late to get involved with that mess,i just watched my buccos drop the game in the 9th,wasting a beautiful pitching performance be Charlie Morton.
Not your typical Wednesday,but when all is said and done,i am grateful to live in America and enjoy pleasures like fantasy football and real baseball(once every 20 years or so).
AND I WISH WE ONLY HAD WAIVERS ONCE A WEEK,ON FRIDAYS.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:
BLACKHAND wrote:somebody please tell me ( without threatening to leave or being rude ) why having wed faab for ONLY thurs night players and fri ( or sat ) for the rest of the league is bad. maybe i am missing something and am wrong. wouldn't be the first time. i cant see it being any more work with the wed faab for thurs taking no time at all.
Here is why I don't think it is a very good idea.

1. You cannot do conditional bidding. If a guy is needed to put in the lineup for injury, bye fill, or whatever the case is, you like a guy Thursday 2nd or third in your pecking order. You much prefer a guy playing Sunday though. You have no idea if you will win the guy or not if it hasn't even run yet. Would create really bad situations. Never seen such a thing as bidding on anything less than a full pool of players.

2. I think you are wrong about it taking no time at all. At least if you do it correctly. It takes full fledged evaluation of the pool anyway on Wednesday. Without doing that, you have no idea how to properly evaluate the situation. This makes for a tremendous amount of additional faab work, which I would not welcome. Once a week is more than I enjoy as is. Twice would make it really bad.

3. Software locks Thursday players, preventing drops of them Friday, and adding any of them Friday.

Those are the main concerns I have with it, although there are more. At first glance it seems okay, but after a little thought it doesn't make much sense IMO.

i hear ya chad. valid points. there are valid points on both sides. i'm sure faab takes crazy amount of time for you. your point #1 makes sense to me but i still think it's not much more work with one thurs game. as far as software locks , that can prob be taken care of. we just gota figure out the worse of two evils cause not having full info to me is hard to deal with.
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:51 pm

TOMDOG wrote:I spent Wednesday afternoon working on waiver wire bids and then went to the PIRATES game that evening.
Great seats about 14 rows directly behind home plate.The huge scoreboard in left field puts up a newspaper style headline with the Trent Richardson news and I thought it was a joke of some sort at first,and googled it on my phone.
The joke was on me.Too late to get involved with that mess,i just watched my buccos drop the game in the 9th,wasting a beautiful pitching performance be Charlie Morton.
Not your typical Wednesday,but when all is said and done,i am grateful to live in America and enjoy pleasures like fantasy football and real baseball(once every 20 years or so).
AND I WISH WE ONLY HAD WAIVERS ONCE A WEEK,ON FRIDAYS.
I love the story Tommy and I can just imagine what type of outfit you had on that night for the Buccos!!! :mrgreen: I assume you were yellow and black from head to toe and not of the Steelers' variety, either.

We don't get many trades like that on a Wednesday night, that's for sure. Good luck to your Pirates, I'm rooting for them. We know all about long playoff droughts around here in Brewersland, so good luck there.

Who loves once a week FAAB? The veterans are barking!!
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:09 am

DOOMSDAY wrote:Why can we not drop a player from Thursday's games on Friday, even if we did not play them? Obviously you cannot drop somebody you played but why can't you drop someone from your bench?
Because you had an extra game to watch him play.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:32 am

I personally don't hate Wednesday FAAB. I think it is necessary with the Thursday games.

That being said, to utilize it effectively, you MUST leave Wednesday's WIDE OPEN, and if you manage more than say 10 teams, you MUST be available all the way up to 10:00 EST.

So I feel for Tommy, as I too am excited about the Buccos (not happy about last night's meltdown! :x ), but you simply have to leave Wednesdays OPEN. Then again......fantasy football shouldn't "run your life".....double edged sword I suppose.

I am pretty sure Chad doesn't have a "9-5", and not sure if Nelson or D.Hubbard do, but with all the teams they manage, they must have been scrambling when the Trent Richardson news hit this past Wednesday. :o

While this is WAY EARLY (and not on topic.....well sort of from the managing standpoint), and could use it's own thread later on, I would LOVE to see the Cutline championship expand to 12 teams next year (I know a lot of veterans who didn't bother with it, because it was only 10).

I love the fact that you only have FAAB 3x per year, yet get to make start-sit decisions.

-Just some early suggestions......

1) Keep rosters at 26 (or maybe drop down to 24)per 12 team league.
2) Keep only 3 weeks of FAAB
3) 11 week regular season......5 weeks of "cutline"
4) 3RR and KDS would be great, but if too much of a problem, just randomize.

Again......can much more meaningful discussion later on, but curious to what others may think. I think you could grow that grand prize to 100K in the 12 team format! :D

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:25 am

I think there are a lot of things they can consider changing in the cutline to make it an even better contest in the future. Many of which will be just personal preferences for you, me and everyone else. But maybe there are some good ideas out there that would be no brainers if someone thought of it.